For students, Windows 7 will equal Snow Leopard's price

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For a limited time, students will be able to purchase Microsoft's upcoming Windows 7 operating system for $30, roughly the same price as Apple's competing Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Microsoft this week launched win741.com, a Web site devoted to promoting Windows 7 to students. By clicking the "Buy" panel, users with a valid student e-mail address are offered a deal that the software maker says is "too sweet to pass up."

"For a limited time, eligible college students can get the sweetest deal on Windows 7 - for only $29.99 USD," the site reads. "That's less than most of your textbooks! Hurry -- offer ends January 3, 2010 and 12 a.m. CST."

The offer applies to the Home Premium and Professional versions of Windows 7. Students are allowed to purchase one copy of either from Microsoft's online store. Similar offers are available in the U.K, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Korea and Mexico.

Rather than mailing a disc, the software will be made available for students to download in either 32- or 64-bit versions. The Web site's FAQ recommends that those looking to do a clean install of the operating system buy a Windows 7 backup DVD.

For all non-students, Windows 7 is less expensive than Vista, but still much higher than Snow Leopard. A retail Home Premium upgrade will cost $120, $40 less than Vista, and the standalone version is $200. Professional will cost $200 for an upgrade, or $300 for the full price. And Windows 7 Ultimate is $220 for upgrade and $320 for the full copy. Upgrades require Windows XP or Windows Vista to be installed on the machine. Windows 7 is set to launch Oct. 22.

Launched on Aug. 28, Snow Leopard has been viewed positively by critics as a worthwhile, bargain-priced upgrade to Leopard. And customers have responded in kind: New sales figures have shown that the latest Mac operating system has sold twice as well as Leopard, and four times better than Tiger.

Though at least one study has shown students are more likely to pick a netbook than a Mac, Apple's marketshare among students is much greater than it is overall. Apple has been aggressive in courting students with programs such as the "Field Trip to the Apple Store" for K-12 students in the U.S. and Canada.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

has sold twice as well as Leopard, and four times better than Leopard.

Do you mean twice as well as Leopard and four times better than Tiger?
  • Reply 2 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nak View Post

Do you mean twice as well as Leopard and four times better than Tiger?

Yes, they mean Tiger.

Really, if most of Windows' user base were students, this would be news. As it stands it's a nice discount for a certain segment of their market, nothing more.
  • Reply 3 of 122
    I think I'm going to get this for my MacBook! I have to use some form of Windows for work, which uses IE specific sites. I really hate XP (even with my shiny custom theme), but wasn't going to pay $100+ for what little time I spend in Windows.
  • Reply 4 of 122
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    0nly idiots buy a copy of Windows at retail. they even had a story this week how $50 of every PC purchase is for the windows license
  • Reply 5 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes, they mean Tiger.

Really, if most of Windows' user base were students, this would be news. As it stands it's a nice discount for a certain segment of their market, nothing more.

This story is on the level of 'dog bites man'. I got my Microsoft Office for Mac 2004 for $50 at the university bookstor when it was new. Microsoft has always given insane discounts to students.
  • Reply 6 of 122
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Well not exactly - I bought a new printer to replace my trusty old Apple LaserWriter 630 Pro - which only supports Apple Talk - which somehow got left out of Snow Leopard.

Actually it was a used printer and I only paid $200 for it but had to replace a few parts - and it is much bigger than the 630 - with duplex and 11x17.
  • Reply 7 of 122
    This isn't really comparable to Snow Leopard, since SL at $29 is just an upgrade...the windows thing is the full clean install version for that price.
  • Reply 8 of 122
    Most universities here in switzerland are MSDNAA clients or have similar agreements with microsoft. This means most students get windows for free anyway. I guess this isn't much different in the states, is it?

I have the official windows7 legally installed for weeks now... (not the RC) and I didn't pay a cent for it.
  • Reply 9 of 122
    I checked this out on the site - there was no way I could see to get the professional version - only the Home version, which is lame.

Let me know if someone else figures it out. This is actually better than our school licensing prices. Great for running under Fusion if you are still using XP.

To the poster who said Snow Leopard is just an upgrade price, go do some research. It can be installed on any machine.
  • Reply 10 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supersheep View Post

Most universities here in switzerland are MSDNAA clients or have similar agreements with microsoft. This means most students get windows for free anyway. I guess this isn't much different in the states, is it?

I have the official windows7 legally installed for weeks now... (not the RC) and I didn't pay a cent for it.

Same here in Italy.. Well, not that I have it installed anywhere, I just have some .isos in case of emergencies.

Can't believe this doesn't apply in the US, and with that I mean that I would bet money on american students already being able to get MS products for free...
  • Reply 11 of 122
    Download and install a whole new OS?

What could possibly go wrong...
  • Reply 12 of 122
    Just checked, my boy's can't get the same deal since they are in high school. It's interesting to me that the deal does not go down to the pre-college level, or maybe Microsoft thinks that they are either already hooked or too far away from a purchase.

They like Windows 7 for the games experience, DX10, and a breath of fresh air after Vista! I would buy them a mac in a moment if they would be able to play the games they play.
  • Reply 13 of 122
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Academic licensing stinks - what happens when students graduate?
  • Reply 14 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rather than mailing a disc, the software will be made available for students to download in either 32- or 64-bit versions. The Web site's FAQ recommends that those looking to do a clean install of the operating system buy a Windows 7 backup DVD.

Why oh why can't Microsoft just do something right and simple. This sounds like a great deal for students, but why make it complicated? Just send out a DVD in a simple sleeve! It's almost like this is an afterthought after seeing SL's pricing.
  • Reply 15 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

This isn't really comparable to Snow Leopard, since SL at $29 is just an upgrade...the windows thing is the full clean install version for that price.

Snow Leopard is a full version. You can do a clean install with SL.
  • Reply 16 of 122
    At least MS did SOMETHING right!
  • Reply 17 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

They like Windows 7 for the games experience, DX10, and a breath of fresh air after Vista! I would buy them a mac in a moment if they would be able to play the games they play.

Ever heard of Boot Camp?
  • Reply 18 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Well not exactly - I bought a new printer to replace my trusty old Apple LaserWriter 630 Pro - which only supports Apple Talk - which somehow got left out of Snow Leopard.

Actually it was a used printer and I only paid $200 for it but had to replace a few parts - and it is much bigger than the 630 - with duplex and 11x17.

LaserWriters were wonderful. Full Postscript.

Although not much by today's standards, they were great back in the day.
  • Reply 19 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkAdrian View Post

At least MS did SOMETHING right!

Not at all. They did something NICE by offering this.....and then made it unnecessarily complicated.
  • Reply 20 of 122
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimpymw View Post

Snow Leopard is a full version. You can do a clean install with SL.

Confirmed. Did this last Friday after putting a new HDD in my iMac.