Connecting a MacBook Pro to a Vizio LCD HDTV

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a 13" MacBook Pro and I just bought a 19" Vizio LCD HDTV and I know nothing about it. I want to hook my Mac to the TV so I can use it as an external monitor. What type of cable/cables do I need to buy for this to happen? And what do I do to make it work?

Thanks in advance

Lorraine

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You'll need this (mini display port to HDMI adapter), this (15' HDMI cable, long so you can put your MacBook where you want it, but shorter are available at that site for less) and this (15' stereo mini to double rca audio cable, since Apple's implementation of the Mini Displayport spec doesn't include audio).

You'll also need to make sure there's some way to map a given audio input to a given HDMI input on your display, or that there are dedicated auxiliary audio inputs for an HDMI input, since otherwise there won't be any way to get it to play the audio coming in on the stereo RCA plugs at the same time it plays the video coming in on the HDMI (HDMI generally includes audio, so some sets don't do this). I know the current Vizio 22" TV has this feature, for connecting DVD players with DVI out (since the DVI connector doesn't carry audio), but you should check your owner's manual. Failing that you could run the audio to an external audio system, if you have that.

Just put the Mini Displayport end of the adapter into your MacBook Pro, run the HDMI cable from the adapter to your TV, plug the stereo mini end of the audio cable into your headphone out port on the Mac and the stereo RCA cable (white for left, red for right) into whichever audio inputs work with the HDMI on your TV. You might have to mess around a bit with the output resolution on your Mac in the monitors preference panel.

Oh, and don't be fooled by the low prices at Monoprice-- they aren't inferior, it's just that most places wildly overcharge for cables. If you have an urge to run out and get cables at Best Buy, lie down till it passes, since you'll be spending an extra $100 minimum for exactly the same thing.