A "Genius" setup our remodeled Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Our Apple Store here in Columbus, OH was remodeled this week. Went in to see what changed this week and found all the software isles are gone. Instead they have these huge tables with 6 macs each on them.

The center table is forced up against a huge pillar supporting the store. An Apple genius felt the plan-o-gram was likely issued by Jobs himself, so he went ahead and setup a laptop facing the pillar.

It's hooked up, turned on, complete with price guide and ipod... all facing a giant pillar. Brilliant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I hate the new Apple Store setup.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMcLargehuge View Post

I hate the new Apple Store setup.

Agreed.

They must of never sold any software or accessories, which I find hard to believe. I'm kind of surprised by the total focus on hardware. That table had 6 identical MBPs on it. Do they really need that many?

Boom
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    That one belongs to Steve, you may look but don't touch.

I love that you took 4 pictures of it to highlight the inconvenience. None from behind the pillar though showing the view I would get were I to attempt to approach that particular laptop instead of one of the other 20 or more laptops in the store. Maybe a video of you trying to use it from a very awkward angle?

On the subject of the software moving, when people go to a store, they typically don't want to review a box of software, they need to use a computer to find online reviews of that software or try out the machines.

Apple make the most profit on hardware sales so they prioritize them. I'm not saying they couldn't have pushed the tables a couple of feet in one direction so the pillar didn't get in the way of course.

All this begs the question, why does it bother you? I wouldn't have thought an Apple Store would be a regular hang-out place. Sure if there are cute girls you can take pictures of while pretending to photograph the stupidly placed table but from the looks of the people in that store, not so much.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Seems like some "Genius" could figure out a better way to arrange the furniture.

Heck, the table could be modified, or as was suggested, the arrangement of the equipment could have been done more intelligently.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Now that is going by the book.