Can't boot into 64-bit kernel (even when holding 6 and 4)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a brand new Mac Mini, dual core 2.26 GHz processor. 4 GB RAM, SL upgraded from Leopard, plus 10.6.1 added. I checked and I do have the 64-bit EFI.

I'd like to see what happens when I boot into the 64 bit kernel. So I shut down, and then I hold 6 and 4 during the entire boot cycle. I've done this twice. Both times it still booted into the 32 bit kernel!

(I know this because I checked About this Mac > More Info... > Software and it says NO for "64-bit kernel and extensions")

Has this ability been removed in the software update? Or am I doing something wrong?

Note that I do NOT have an Apple keyboard. Could that be the cause?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ed-hawco View Post

I have a brand new Mac Mini, dual core 2.26 GHz processor. 4 GB RAM, SL upgraded from Leopard, plus 10.6.1 added. I checked and I do have the 64-bit EFI.

I'd like to see what happens when I boot into the 64 bit kernel. So I shut down, and then I hold 6 and 4 during the entire boot cycle. I've done this twice. Both times it still booted into the 32 bit kernel!

(I know this because I checked About this Mac > More Info... > Software and it says NO for "64-bit kernel and extensions")

Has this ability been removed in the software update? Or am I doing something wrong?

Note that I do NOT have an Apple keyboard. Could that be the cause?

No, you are not doing anything wrong. The 64-bit kernel has been restricted by Apple to certain machines. I don't know the exact technical reasons. There is a table, but I have not been able to find it. From memory - Xserve and another Apple server boots K64 by default. Certain recent (2008 and later) client machines are 'enabled' for K64, so doing what you did, it is possible to boot into K64. That would include some Pros and IMacs, etc. Even having 64-bit EFI is not sufficient for K64 being enabled.

However, even if you are limited to K32 (as I am on my iMac 7,1), the Snow Leopard bundled apps like Finder, Mail, Safari, etc. are 64-bit binaries by default. So, you do benefit to a certain extent. You can see that in Activity Monitor.