Lost Files & Inability to Access Account

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
In an attempt to share files from my macbook to a shared network on a PC running VISTA, I somehow "locked" myself out of being able to have access to any of my document, files, and applications on my admin account.

I was running 10.5.8 and followed some directions from a couple websites I found when looking for "shared network on mac to vista." In the system preferences -->sharing, I allowed for printer and file sharing. I allowed access for my admin account and allowed for sharing of files & folders using SMB. I entered my password.

I checked to see the file sharing worked by going onto the PC's network and sharing screen and found my computer as one of the network devices. Instead of sharing just my "shared" folder, all my folders were visible, so I changed the permissions to deny all files from being viewed from the PC. That's where the trouble started. I clicked on documents folder from my mac and found that it was empty. I attempted to log back into my folder from the PC as the password protection on shared files was on and my original account and pw was not working. In hopes that restarting my computer would fix the missing files, I got an error message stating the home files and folders had either been deleted or moved. I checked the disk space on my HD and it was the same, so I knew my files were still on my computer, I just wasn't sure where they were and how I could get them back.

I had Apple Phone Support call this morning and ran a few diagnostic tests. The keychain access on my admin could not be repaired because of some "permissions" issues. We did the disk utility and attempted to repair disk utilities, but again, it could not be repaired due to "permission" issues. The Apple tech said my core files were corrupted and would be unable to retrieve any of my files or documents and suggested in this rare case to erase and re-install. I opted to archive and install and my password no longer allows me to log into my account and am stuck using my guest account.

Is there anyway to recover any of my files? Or to be able to log back into my account? Please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Try rebooting to your Leopard DVD, going to the Utilities menu, and choosing Reset Password. Firstly, use the ACL permissions repair at the bottom of that window to perform a TRUE permissions repair, and then try rebooting and logging in. If that doesn't work, follow the same procedure to get back to the Reset Password utility, but this time, try using the utility to reset your user account password. Keep in mind that when forcefully resetting the password that way, your keychain is usually corrupted and must be deleted/reset.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Karelia,

Thanks so much for the information, but I hate to to say that I am not sure how to proceed with your suggestion as I am a new Mac user. How do I reboot to my Leopard DVD and where will I find the Reset Password option? Sorry!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akgfromthelbc View Post

Thanks so much for the information, but I hate to to say that I am not sure how to proceed with your suggestion as I am a new Mac user. How do I reboot to my Leopard DVD

Put the DVD in the drive, restart the machine and press the "d" key as soon as you hear the "startup bong". Keep the key held down until the machine is booting from the DVD (you should be able to tell as there will be a lot of DVD activity).

Quote:

and where will I find the Reset Password option? Sorry!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

going to the Utilities menu, and choosing Reset Password

• Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Put the DVD in the drive, restart the machine and press the "d" key as soon as you hear the "startup bong". Keep the key held down until the machine is booting from the DVD (you should be able to tell as there will be a lot of DVD activity).

I don't know what I am doing incorrectly, but I followed your directions above to boot from the DVD, but I'm being taken to an Apple Hardware Test screen and there is no utilities menu? Please help.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    "D" is for the on-disc diagnostics. "C" on startup will take you to the install setup, where the Utilities menu can be found.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Oops! Sorry, my bad!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Thanks you guys! I was able to log back into my admin account, however, I still cannot locate any of my documents/files.

I click on the archived system --->users--->my user--->and none of my files are there. Is there anyway to recover those files? The memory available before and after losing my files is the same (except slightly less now that I've archived and reinstalled per the suggestion of Apple Care Tech support), so I know they are still there. Should I attempt to copy these partitions to another external drive and try and recover the files that way?

Also, is it worth it to take my laptop to the Apple store's Genius Bar?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

is it worth it to take my laptop to the Apple store's Genius Bar?

Good plan: that's the easiest and fastest way to fix it, imo.