Inside Snow Leopard's UTI: Apple fixes the Creator Code

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 42
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    (post deleted after rereading article and comments)
  • Reply 42 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pageboy View Post

Thanks for the article and all the responses.

I hope there is a work around for this or Apple fixes it. I have a hundreds of .eps files from clients & myself that were created with different applications, e.g., photoshop, illustrator, freehand, quark. Up until 10.6, in the Finder I could easily tell which application created it. Now, forget it. They all show up as belonging to the ONE application that I indicate. This is a step back.

I am not a programmer (console is voodoo to me) just a designer who has been using the mac platform since 1988...

I'm in the same boat, the editing of support files in graphic design has been seriously diminished by Apple. In my work It takes a lot of guesswork and extra time to find the correct authoring program so I can make a simple edit to a .eps file. Thanks to this change there is no longer any benefit for graphic designers to work on a Mac over a PC if something isn't fixed. It seems to me that an easy fix would simply be to let the user choose whether they wish to open files using creator codes or the way things are as a global setting. This would help both those who need to edit files in the authoring programs and those who just view files. I'm sure there is more to it than that but that logic is quite simple and it would save the loss mac will feel when the graphics community wakes up and realizes the way things are in snow leopard there is no benefit over microsoft. Sad because I do believe it was the graphic arts community that have continued to buy Macs all these years and now Apple has done away with the functionality that made the difference. It will be to Apples detriment if they continue to pull the support of files opening with the authoring program. So Sad!!!