Purported shots of Microsoft's touchscreen device revealed

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Detailed mock-ups alleged to be Microsoft's rumored touchscreen hardware have surfaced, revealing a dual-screen device that folds out like a book -- very different from the form factor Apple's own 10-inch tablet is rumored to take.

Gizmodo has pictures and video of the device, named Courier, which is reported to be in the late prototype stage of development. The device has two 7-inch screens held together by a hinge. The multi-touch screens are designed for writing, and can be controlled with either a stylus or fingers.

The Microsoft Courier also reportedly includes Wi-Fi, an iPhone-like home button, a camera on the reverse side, and perhaps an inductive charging pad like the Touchstone available for the Palm Pre.

The project is said to be under the eye of J Allard, Microsoft's chief experience officer. Earlier this week, another report corroborated the existence of the touchscreen device as part of something known as "Alchemy Ventures."

Though the project was kept tightly under wraps at Microsoft, a video and pictures were obtained from an internal division within the Redmond, Wash., company's Entertainment & Devices section, showing an authentic-looking mock-up of the device.

Though Apple's own tablet device only exists in rumors thus far, comparisons are only inevitable as the hype around the anticipated hardware from the Cupertino, Calif., company has continued to build for months and years.

"The Courier user experience presented here is almost the exact opposite of what everyone expects the Apple tablet to be, a kung fu eagle claw to Apple's tiger style," the report said. "It's complex: Two screens, a mashup of a pen-dominated interface with several types of multitouch finger gestures, and multiple graphically complex themes, modes and applications. (Our favorite UI bit? The hinge doubles as a "pocket" to hold items you want move from one page to another.) Microsoft's tablet heritage is digital ink-oriented, and this interface, while unlike anything we've seen before, clearly draws from that, its work with the Surface touch computer and even the Zune HD."

Earlier this week, it was speculated that Microsoft might wait to officially reveal its device until Apple unveils its own, long-rumored tablet, expected to launch in early 2010. But with Tuesday's alleged leak, the company might be forced to show off its concept before then.

Whether Microsoft would make the hardware themselves or license it out to third-parties is unclear. The Gizmodo report only notes that the device "appears to be at a stage where Microsoft is developing the user experience and showing design concepts to outside agencies."

In addition to pushing the notion of the tablet PC for years, Microsoft has been behind one other touch-centric device, called Surface. Revealed more than two years ago, the costly technology has yet to see any widespread real world adoption.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 224
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    let's put a hinge in it.
  • Reply 2 of 224
    I think it actually looks kind of nice...God only knows how terrible it will be to use. I am not a MS hater, but I have truly lost faith. I wish I could believe, but it just seems like such a safe bet that this thing will be a disaster that I can't get excited. Nonetheless, at least it isn't gaudy looking.
  • Reply 3 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

let's put a hinge in it.

Are you saying this is a bad thing? I'd think the billions of laptops out there would convince you otherwise.
  • Reply 4 of 224
    Wow, that actually looks cool!
  • Reply 5 of 224
    Microsoft would make something that looks that impractical but I don't buy anything Gizmodo has to sell.
  • Reply 6 of 224
    Impressive.

Most impressive.

But the UI almost seems too advanced, you know? It's above and beyond anything I've ever seen. I have a hard time believing it'll actually work that way.

And I say bring on the competition. The Zune came along after the iPod had established its stranglehold, so even if the Zune HD is a good product, the iPod is too established (and the Zune HD's predecessors too underwhelming) for it to ever have a shot.

But if this means The Tablet Wars have begun, then I say bully to that.
  • Reply 7 of 224
    I just watched the video over at Neowin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI

That is quite possibly the most impressive UI and device I've seen in a long time. I have my doubts if MS could actually pull that off within the next year or so, but I wish them all the luck! It looks fabulous and I love competition!
  • Reply 8 of 224
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoboomafoo View Post

Are you saying this is a bad thing?

Why yes, yes I am.

Quote:

I'd think the billions of laptops out there would convince you otherwise.

Sorry, I think more in specifics than in generalizations from areas that don't necessarily apply.

IMHO, it will be difficult to make a reliable signal-carrying hinge that swivels 180 degrees, with the flexibility to open even wider. This "thing" should be capable of withstanding being opened far more often than a laptop.
  • Reply 9 of 224
    Video is pretty awesome. Here's to hoping that Apple and M$FT duke it out pretty heavily in this arena, then the ultimate winner is us, the consumer!
  • Reply 10 of 224
    They can't even make a decent web browser for a mobile phone - they could never pull this off. Not that it even has a consistent UI. Microsoft engineers probably took one look at this promo video (put together by marketing) and probably started laughing their asses off.
  • Reply 11 of 224
    Let me add again, I'm glad that there are even videos and pictures of this thing out there. Apple won't even dangle a friggin' table scrap in front of us with the upcoming tablet (if they're even doing one at all).

And I also like the fact that it has multi-touch AND pen input for writing. An onscreen keyboard is all well in good, but being able to actually write notes and write out URLs with a pen is a big plus to me.

PLEASE, PLEASE Microsoft, MAKE THIS THING!
  • Reply 12 of 224
    If Microsoft found a way to put Surface into what everyone in business person carries every day (a planer) Then Apple is screwed. Surface is Windows most advanced OS they've ever displayed and is shipping on larger models.

I thought Google was Apple's biggest threat on every front of Apple's current model.

If Microsoft has brought Surface to desktop it's a new ball game between Microsoft & Google. Both offer Multi-Tasking on both OS and mobile, both offer an open solution for every vendor to build on.

Kind of reminds me of the early 90's.

i What? Oh you mean that piece of fruit that has been goudging users for years and charging 4 times what the product was worth.

I've got an iBone & can't wait until my contract is up. I'm not the only one, I'm sure of that.
  • Reply 13 of 224
    guys, Microsoft always promises the world. How many demo technologies have we seen them "invent" ( aquire ) and how many make it to market. Remember Microsoft is a relative newbie to the hardware world... Zune is the only thing they've ever made themselves ( well, I guess back in the day they commissioned the MS mouse and keyboard )

They don't even know how to succeed in this business. How do you think Dell or HP will react if Microsoft starts producing their own systems?

They don't want to rock that boat.

I'm sure this will be a "concept" box like the light table thing they have... when it actually gets built it won't look or behave anything like what they've said.

I hope it happens. Apple needs some healthy competition. Apple has been on the top of the world for so long, and no one has even come close. I was utterly shocked that no one could touch iPhone. Jobs called that niche amazingly well. It's been years and the Palm Pre is the only device with a chance on the market.
  • Reply 14 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

built it won't look or behave anything like what they've said.

I hope it happens. Apple needs some healthy competition. Apple has been on the top of the world for so long, and no one has even come close. I was utterly shocked that no one could touch iPhone. Jobs called that niche amazingly well. It's been years and the Palm Pre is the only device with a chance on the market.

Palm is rumored to by purchased by Nokia. The largest manufacturer of Phones in the World. That's why Palm stock shot up by 7% today to 17.07 and up another 17 cents in after hours.

If Nokia purchases Palms OS and puts it on their phones then Google has some real competition. Apple is kind of left in the dust with their current offering.
  • Reply 15 of 224
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Here's the full article on Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-f...-secret-tablet

Check out the video, it looks really cool. Who knows if this will even be half-way as cool as it looks. Parts are a bit confusing to use but i think it's light-years beyond anything MS has produced in the last 2 decades. We'll see if this rumor comes true. Knowing MS, it will probably suck. If you look at the video for "surface" you'll notice that the responsiveness of the touch screen is about like the HTC touch. Very delayed, not as smooth as the iphone.

Why didn't Apple think of this? Well part of it, they did think of. The other part, well...MS always thinks of the big ideas first, they just never successfully produce those big ideas into concrete, workable solutions. That's where Apple comes in. They take all of MS's good ideas and perfects them and simplifies them to where they become a household name, like iPod instead of MP3 Player. Or iTunes, instead of windows media center/player etc...

My prediction is that Apple's Tablet will be exactly like this in a tablet, single screen format and the MS version to be released afterward is going to suck, because MS is all about the numbers and not the UI success.
  • Reply 16 of 224
    More smoke.

They can't even fix Windows Mobile, and they've had over two years to do it.

Oh, they can make a great tablet . . . if they outsource it to Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Why didn't Apple think of this?

They already have, and have most likely surpassed it, ready for early 2010.
  • Reply 18 of 224
    ... but that's all it is. An animation showing a concept. The "video" is not of a real person interacting with a real device. So what it amounts to is a Star Trek food replicator... an amazing idea that, on the screen is pretty impressive but there is nothing like it in the real world - well, at least not from MS.

I would love to see MS pull this off but I have major doubts they are even close to being to produce this thing.

Reality check is right!
  • Reply 19 of 224
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

guys, Microsoft always promises the world. How many demo technologies have we seen them "invent" ( aquire ) and how many make it to market. Remember Microsoft is a relative newbie to the hardware world... Zune is the only thing they've ever made themselves ( well, I guess back in the day they commissioned the MS mouse and keyboard )

They don't even know how to succeed in this business. How do you think Dell or HP will react if Microsoft starts producing their own systems?

They don't want to rock that boat.

I'm sure this will be a "concept" box like the light table thing they have... when it actually gets built it won't look or behave anything like what they've said.

Sorry to disagree with you but EVERY tech company invents a lot of crap, it's just Microsoft that's public about it. It's probably their way of showing the end user what they are thinking and bouncing that off on the public. Good Marketing. Apple just comes up with amazing stuff (based on those reactions) and MAKES us NEED IT...That's not a bad thing either, since they have an eye for what the public wants.

How many AI posts have we seen in the last 10 years that show all the useless patents that Apple has taken out on crazy tech's that never see the light of day? Way more than you can imagine, AI just get's a few. That's what inventors do, they come up with a lot of crap before they get the Gem.

however, i do agree with you about Apple and competition. If this Apple Tablet makes it out without any serious competition, the rest of the Tech industry is screwed, because you know this tablet is going to be pretty cool if they've released nothing about it officially.
  • Reply 20 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Palm is rumored to by purchased by Nokia. The largest manufacturer of Phones in the World. That's why Palm stock shot up by 7% today to 17.07 and up another 17 cents in after hours.

If Nokia purchases Palms OS and puts it on their phones then Google has some real competition. Apple is kind of left in the dust with their current offering.

Except for the fact that they can hardly keep up with demand for their current offering.