Apple prepares for first Microsoft store by updating its own

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In what could be viewed as a preemptive strike, Apple has closed its store in Mission Viejo, Calif., for renovations -- the same store that will be located near one of Microsoft's first retail outlets.

Microsoft intends to open its first two brick-and-mortar stores this fall, with one of them to be located inside The Shops at Mission Viejo. That same site already houses an Apple Store, but one AppleInsider reader has sent word that the company has closed its existing location for renovations. The store has been closed since Monday, Sept. 14.

Now boarded off, the location tells visitors, "Coming soon. The all-new Apple Store." Whether the renovations are a direct response to Microsoft's own upcoming store, or merely a coincidence is unclear.

Regardless, the rivalry between Apple and Microsoft over the Windows maker's upcoming retail venture has been heating up. Apple's rival to the north has taken cues from the Mac maker's successful retail locations, and intends to include "Guru Bars," much like the Genius Bars created by Apple.

And this week, a new report suggested Microsoft is looking to poach managers and employees from existing Apple Stores. Apple employees have allegedly been offered "significant raises" to jump ship, and managers who are snagged have been asked to contact some of Apple's tops sales people to see if they will join.

The Redmond, Wash., company has even hired real estate expert George Blankenship, one of the cornerstones of Apple's early retail efforts, to consult on its first retail stores.

The Apple Store in Mission Viejo, Calif., is closed for renovations. Photo provided.

The new retail locations will sell Microsoft software and first-party hardware, such as Zunes and Xbox 360 consoles. Third-party Windows software and Xbox games will also be available. The company also plans to open a store in Scottsdale, Ariz., before the year is out, though there is no Apple Store near that location.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    Haha... I wouldn't be surprised if this is a direct response. I'm curious to see if they're planning to put on a show that will put Microsoft's to shame. In any case, it could be interesting to see how this one plays out.

If that's the case it may come across as 'neener-neener' to us, but to consumers browsing through the stores it is just going to be the Apple Store, whatever it is like when it comes out of renovation, compared to the Microsoft store.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing a Microsoft store. I wonder what they're actually going to do with it... you know, to make people want to be there, or to enjoy being there.
  • Reply 2 of 112
    Well, here you go. It appears that competition is good for consumers... I hope MS opens some shops near me before they give up so I can get a snazzy new Apple Store update too!
  • Reply 3 of 112
    801801 Posts: 271member
    This should be interesting.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    Oh, by the way, does anyone know if any Apple Store employees or managers have to sign noncompeates? I assume cashiers do not, of course. But I imagine if Apple offers expensive training to their genuses or managers they could have them sign...
  • Reply 5 of 112
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I'm actually looking forward to seeing a Microsoft store. I wonder what they're actually going to do with it... you know, to make people want to be there, or to enjoy being there.

Microsoft did have a store. It was located at the Sony Metreon in San Francisco during the early decade. At the time, it was a primo location.

The store was pretty much empty shortly after its opening. They closed it not much later since there was no foot traffic. It was actually pretty sad. I've visited it a few times out of curiosity and the store was quiet, and the workers just did not seem happy to be there.

The current environment is much different than it was back then though. Since they are essentially doing a copy-machine play out of Apple's playbook, it will be interesting to see what they will do. I hate to be a pessimist but I think in the end, Microsoft will (again) fail and spin some kind of story about their store being an "experiment".
  • Reply 6 of 112
    i'm curious about where the MS store is in relation to the Apple store in this mall. are they opposite ends, across from each other or what? that could add to the fun if they actually face each other.
  • Reply 7 of 112
    They have been doing these renovations to apple stores all over the country before MS even announced they were doing the brick and mortars. Non story.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    There will be a lot of attention given to that store by the media, so why not polish it up a bit!
  • Reply 9 of 112
    MICROSOFT is beyond embarrassment. they cannot be shamed or humiliated any more. Of course, being led by a sweating, loudmouth blowhard helps.
  • Reply 10 of 112
    >>>Now boarded off, the location tells visitors, "Coming soon. The all-new Apple Store."

They did this same exact renovation in the Buffalo NY store a few weeks ago. It really was not a big change. They got rid of the shelves in the middle of the store and now have more products on tables.

"all-new Apple Store" is a bit of an over statment.
  • Reply 11 of 112
    See?....isn't competition great?

US Government.....get out of the way and let everyone compete on equal footing.

OK. I'm done now.
  • Reply 12 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

..... store in Scottsdale, Ariz., before the year is out, though there is no Apple Store near that location.

Actually, there is one - indeed, it is one of the very early ones - in Biltmore Fashion Park (a super high-end Mall). Although technically in Phoenix, it is barely 10 minutes away from Scottsdale.

I'll bet that'll be under 'renovation' too, soon!
  • Reply 13 of 112
    Went to the Easton Apple Store and was pleasantly surprised by the renovation. It's a LOT more open feeling, all the straighter shelving is gone, with the software and accessories pushed to the back walls surrounding the Genius Bar. They added a bunch of tables with MacBooks/MBPs/iMacs for customers to use. I found it amusing that they had a kid sized table with iMacs as well, hook em early .
  • Reply 14 of 112
    Has anyone in Redmond, ever, in the entire history of the company, had anything resembling an original thought?
  • Reply 15 of 112
    I cant wait to get into the Microsoft Store and play with WORD!

Leftorium? Ned Flanders?
  • Reply 16 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1HappyGuy View Post

>>>Now boarded off, the location tells visitors, "Coming soon. The all-new Apple Store."

They did this same exact renovation in the Buffalo NY store a few weeks ago. It really was not a big change. They got rid of the shelves in the middle of the store and now have more products on tables.

"all-new Apple Store" is a bit of an over statment.

And the one in Short Hills, NJ was done over last year. Bigger Genius bar, more tables with products, no more theater, and worst of all... no place to sit while waiting. I didn't like the changes
  • Reply 17 of 112
    Microsoft stores will be as exciting as a Radio Shack.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Microsoft stores will be as exciting as a Radio Shack.

A better statement: Microsoft stores will be as exciting as a Hallmark store during a non-holiday season.
  • Reply 19 of 112
    I was in Atlantic City a few months ago and saw the apple store closed for renovations. My Apple store in the Garden State Plaza was renovated to have a larger area for Genius Bar and One to One training.
  • Reply 20 of 112
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Has anyone in Redmond, ever, in the entire history of the company, had anything resembling an original thought?

Yes.

1. Lets just steal the Mac operating system right in front of everyone

2. Lets just steal QuickTime right in front of everyone

3. Lets just steal Apple Retail right in front of everyone

These are all original thoughts. At least for a huge business to build their profits on the work of others without paying for it. But to be a bit truthful, remember Ford build his car biz by stealing the French idea of the internal combustion engine based automobile. Pepsi is still here, bigger than even, by simply replacing lemon for orange stealing the early Coke recipe. These are a few examples, but Microsoft got away with their "original" ideas. Just look at the number of people on this blog who say that's ok, or it didn't even occur! They proudly say it is ok to 'barrow' ideas, steal employees and condone theft. Well since the present group of crooks in Washington have been stealing the country blind and poisoning us for profits, we get what we deserve don't we? Don't forget that they have carefully made all this behavior legal! Things haven't changed much have they!