Push GMail

kelkel
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi Everyone

Is it worth putting Google Sync on the iPhone do you think?

At the moment my iPhone Apple Mail is set up with Google Mail as the main account, and any other mail accounts I have are turned off on my iPhone. These other accounts I have set up to be forwarded to my Google Mail account anyway, and so in effect I receive all my emails anyway in my Mail on the iPhone, but they all come under the Google Mail account, so in effect I have push GMail.

Now what benefits would I have if I used Google Sync instead? Is it worth placing on my iPhone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    I don't have an iPhone.

I'm a bit confused as to how you're set up at the moment: You say you have Gmail as your main account on your iPhone's Apple Mail; is that via MobileMe?

If so then I would guess that the advantage as I understand it would be that the Gmail option is free, and if the other services of MM aren't important to you, you can ditch the subscription.

I haven't used MM via the iPhone, but just the web/Mac version is painfully slow to me compared to Google's service.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    No, what I meant was that I'm using the Mail application that comes on the iPhone.

In this Mail application I've set up an account for my Googlemail, and so I receive Google Mail as it arrives.

My other 2 email addresses that I have, I have set up within my Googlemail account on the internet to get mail from them. To avoid multiple email I've turned off these accounts on my iPhone. So on my iPhone I've just got the Googlemail account working. With my other 2 accounts forwarding to Googlemail on the internet, it means that I receive the emails from within Googlemail from them too on my iPhone.

I'm finding it hard to explain all this. It sounds very comfusing and complicated written down, but it is actually very straightforward. I don't think I'm very good at explaining things ? I need to be more succint.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    If you're receiving your mail from a googlemail account (even on the iPhone's "Mail" app), then it's not "push"... it's "Fetch".

That could have changed, as of a few days ago, but you'd have to reconfigure that mail account on the phone to utilize MicrosoftEchange.

Fetch is ALMOST as good as Push... your phone just checks your account every "x" minutes rather than having new stuff pushed to you instantly.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Push Gmail is only available for paid Google App subscribers
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Thanks everyone for your input ? I think I'll give the Google Sync a miss.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Um, Google Sync is free for everyone. I am using right now and it pushes very fast. I love it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    It's free. Instructions here.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Push Gmail is only available for paid Google App subscribers

Yeah, I was totally wrong, it is free!