Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line

1192021222325»

Comments

• Reply 481 of 486
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDSmith2 View Post

If the quad core processor is $500 or more as most of them are, you are not going to get a 24 inch iMac for $1500. Perhaps a high end $2,300 maybe. In any case I don't think those options will be announced in this update; more probably they will be part of early 2010 update when the Mac Pro is rumored to get a top of the line quad upgrade.

if the processor would cost $0 would i get a $1000 24" by that logic?

processor: $500 - $400 display - $600 the rest of the package = $1500

where's the problem? of course it's possible

the current 24" with a dual core 2.66GHz is way overpriced (just look at the laptop offers by apple - far better)...

but all in all it doesn't change my mind - no quad = no buy. i'm holding out since over a year now so i don't care if it comes now or in january.
  • Reply 482 of 486
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple can't charge what they pay for a part. It's the practice in all industries to charge between 1.5 to 3 times what was paid for the part, depending on various reasons.

Do you seriously think Apple is paying retail prices?
  • Reply 483 of 486
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Do you seriously think Apple is paying retail prices?

I see the bin pricing. The point is that total parts costs should normally not exceed about 20 to 35% of the sell price. Maximum. Even that 35% would be considered too high in many industries.

You have to take into account all costs, and they easily exceed the cost of the parts. Then there is profit for the middlemen such as distributors and retail outlets.

What do you think, the cost of the parts is the largest part of manufacture? You'd be wrong in that.
  • Reply 484 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I see the bin pricing. The point is that total parts costs should normally not exceed about 20 to 35% of the sell price. Maximum. Even that 35% would be considered too high in many industries.

You have to take into account all costs, and they easily exceed the cost of the parts. Then there is profit for the middlemen such as distributors and retail outlets.

What do you think, the cost of the parts is the largest part of manufacture? You'd be wrong in that.

Thank you! My point exactly. You can't just add up the part prices and assume Apple will sell something for $1500 where one third of the price is the single processor chip!
  • Reply 485 of 486
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDSmith2 View Post

Thank you! My point exactly. You can't just add up the part prices and assume Apple will sell something for $1500 where one third of the price is the single processor chip!

of course you can... $1000 for an iMac without processor is a good price where apple would still keep their high profit margins. no problem with a $1500 mac
  • Reply 486 of 486
    Hopefully Apple will firmware update the older DisplayPort Macs to ALSO enable audio over the connector, especially beneficial for HDMI use!