USB3 soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Any ideas on how and when USB3 will be added to iMacs?

I am finally ready to replace a G4 PowerBook with a new iMac and I want to make sure that the model that I get is as future-proof as possible. I'm still limping along with 1Ghz PPC/1GB and USB 1.

Presumably the next iMac release which is expected in October won't have it.

Does that mean I'll need to wait until the next major redesign???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Your answer though can most likely be found in Intels chipsets. Find out which series will have the port built into the South Bridge.

In any event I have to wonder why that is a factor right now.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In any event I have to wonder why that is a factor right now.

I would like my next Mac purchase to last for 5 years. 2 years from now there could be some USB3 device that I want to connect to my machine...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timmmy View Post

I would like my next Mac purchase to last for 5 years. 2 years from now there could be some USB3 device that I want to connect to my machine...

Five years is a long time in computer land. As alluded to in the title, the other issue is the quality of the first hardware and software revisions. Buying rev 1 of anything is risky especially if you expect compatibility with devices five years down the road. In a nut shell even if it had USB 3 i would not put to much emphasis on it's exsistance.

In any event this still doesn't answer your question. Maybe some one more in tuned with Itels Road Map can chime in today.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 14
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Soon:

Freecom announces world's first USB 3.0 hard drive, the XS 3.0

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/25/f...ive-the-xs-3-0

But Firewire is much, much, much better technology than USB.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    It is quite possible that apple will skip USB3 for their own standard, Light Peak, co-developed with intel.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/26/e...ntel-could-be/
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aegelward View Post

It is quite possible that apple will skip USB3 for their own standard, Light Peak, co-developed with intel.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/26/e...ntel-could-be/

I still don't understand WFT LightPort actually is.

But if we can't connect the coming rush of consumer level USB3 devices to it then it is just another name for Mac marginalization...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timmmy View Post

I still don't understand WFT LightPort actually is.

That is Light Peak. It is an optical interface that is very fast. I wouldn't worry about it until Apple debuts the hardware and defines how it will be used.

Quote:

But if we can't connect the coming rush of consumer level USB3 devices to it then it is just another name for Mac marginalization...

obviously you have been snared by marketing. It will be some time before this rush of products you think is coming will mean much.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I have an 8 core Mac Pro now and also would like to oun a MBP in the near future yet like the guy up top I want to wait for USB 3. 6x faster and powers devices too very very nice! External hard drives will be smokin fast! Apple will prob start with one token 3 port and wait a year to add two. Remember USB 2? It took forever to realize or impliment multiple usb2 ports are important to have! We need them for cameras, printers, cf card readers, tablets, keyboards, mice...

I want USB3! Hopefully it gets adopted by Apple in the next refresh like they did with wireless N draft, they pioneered it and led the way. It's taken quite a while for other computer manufacturers to impliment on their product lines...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bosman View Post

I have an 8 core Mac Pro now and also would like to oun a MBP in the near future yet like the guy up top I want to wait for USB 3. 6x faster and powers devices too very very nice!

Regular USB powers devices too, I'm not sure why that is important to you. As to how fast USB 3 will be in practice that remains to be seen. Again don't get wrapped up in the marketing, it could easily be a year or two before we know if USB 3 delivers on it's promises.

Quote:

External hard drives will be smokin fast!

By the time USB becomes mainstream it will be far to slow for mainstream solid state storage devices. I just find it extremely funny that people her expressing concern about the future are at the sametime thinking about magnetic media. The future is not the home to magnetic drives or even flash for that matter.

Quote:

Apple will prob start with one token 3 port and wait a year to add two. Remember USB 2? It took forever to realize or impliment multiple usb2 ports are important to have! We need them for cameras, printers, cf card readers, tablets, keyboards, mice...

Yes USB1&2 are excellent ports for what they do. However the success of one standard doesn't imply the success of the follow on.

Quote:

I want USB3! Hopefully it gets adopted by Apple in the next refresh like they did with wireless N draft, they pioneered it and led the way. It's taken quite a while for other computer manufacturers to impliment on their product lines...

I suspect that Apple will adopt when Intel has the tech built into it's chipsets. Right now you need to keep an eye on Intel to know when the tech will arrive. That only if they move away from Nvidias integrated chipsets. Even if Nvidia went to USB3 would you trust it considering their SATA ports?

I understand the idea of buying hardware for the longhaul. Unfortunately I just think your timing is way off, it could be mid year 2010 before we see the hardware in Apple computers. Worst we don't know what Apples plans are here. When it comes right down to it you only long term investment Macs are the Mac Pro and the XServe. The Mini and iMac are currently devices that are only viable for current needs as there is zip for expandability.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Soon:

Freecom announces world's first USB 3.0 hard drive, the XS 3.0

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/25/f...ive-the-xs-3-0

But Firewire is much, much, much better technology than USB.

The drive specification is about 1 Gbps. In real life use it's probably about the same speed as a FireWire 800 drive. So Apple has very good reason to be looking at Light Peak which on paper would be much faster.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    bosmanbosman Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Regular USB powers devices too, I'm not sure why that is important to you. As to how fast USB 3 will be in practice that remains to be seen. Again don't get wrapped up in the marketing, it could easily be a year or two before we know if USB 3 delivers on it's promises.

By the time USB becomes mainstream it will be far to slow for mainstream solid state storage devices. I just find it extremely funny that people her expressing concern about the future are at the sametime thinking about magnetic media. The future is not the home to magnetic drives or even flash for that matter.

Yes USB1&2 are excellent ports for what they do. However the success of one standard doesn't imply the success of the follow on.

I suspect that Apple will adopt when Intel has the tech built into it's chipsets. Right now you need to keep an eye on Intel to know when the tech will arrive. That only if they move away from Nvidias integrated chipsets. Even if Nvidia went to USB3 would you trust it considering their SATA ports?

I understand the idea of buying hardware for the longhaul. Unfortunately I just think your timing is way off, it could be mid year 2010 before we see the hardware in Apple computers. Worst we don't know what Apples plans are here. When it comes right down to it you only long term investment Macs are the Mac Pro and the XServe. The Mini and iMac are currently devices that are only viable for current needs as there is zip for expandability.

Dave

As The_Steve posted the usb3 info link shows usb3 running 10 times faster than usb2. Lightpeak would be awesome and maybe it is further along than we know. Still i don't want to be stuck like i was with my Dell that only had usb 1 and Usb 2 came out just a couple months later...5 yrs ago and ...I don't want to repeat that! Try being a photographer and load 1500 large camera files using usb1!!!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Buying rev 1 of anything is risky especially if you expect compatibility with devices five years down the road.

What are you talking about? I had one of the first USB 2 Powerbooks and everything that works on my current machine works on that. Same with the original iMac. It isn't like it changed or something.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bosman View Post

As The_Steve posted the usb3 info link shows usb3 running 10 times faster than usb2. Lightpeak would be awesome and maybe it is further along than we know. Still i don't want to be stuck like i was with my Dell that only had usb 1 and Usb 2 came out just a couple months later...5 yrs ago and ...I don't want to repeat that! Try being a photographer and load 1500 large camera files using usb1!!!

The answer is still the Apple can't implement until a chip supplier does. Right now USB 3 simply isn't built into any of the chipsets Apple is likely to build with. So no USB 3 in the immediate future.

Oh by the way I don't see Light Peak serving this need either. At least not initially.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

What are you talking about? I had one of the first USB 2 Powerbooks and everything that works on my current machine works on that. Same with the original iMac. It isn't like it changed or something.

there are many examples of crappy implementations of standard serial ports Via And Nvidia can't seem to do SATA well. Ask current MBP owners about their SATA 2 performance for examples. It is very much a buyer be aware situation. Even Apples Firewire implementations have had chipset issues.

Dave