Google DeskTop Daemon - bad dog!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
For many months, I have had problems with my old G4 which resulted in my getting a new computer. I still use the old work-horse for certain things. Yesterday, SuperDuper failed to do a Smart Backup to an external HDD and had several other problems. I emailed Shirt-Pocket and explained the problems. Although it's Sunday, I received an answer within a couple of hours. One suggestion Shirt-Pocket made was to run Cocktail and/or Onyx. I used both and restarted the computer. When the computer restarted, there was an error message that said Google Desktop Daemon had about 8 problems and that I should report them to Apple.

I had downloaded Google Desktop many months ago, but after reading that it caused problems, I dumped it (I thought). Now, I found the Google file in \\Library and ran the Google Uninstaller. Wow, the G4 runs better and faster, I haven't seen the beach ball.

Cocktail and Onyx fixed one of the SuperDuper problems. I managed to fix the others per suggestions from Shirt-Pocket.

Onyx and Cocktail fixed the SuperDuper problem but not the other problems. I had run them before along with Disk Utility and Tech Tool Pro 5. Getting rid of Google DeskTop did the trick as far as I know.

Dumping Google DeskTop worked for me but may not for others. However, FWIW, check it out if you are having problems.