Palm Invades iTunes... Again

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Early Saturday mooring, Palm released yet another patch to their WebOS, 1.2.1. This patch, among other issues, "fixed" the iTunes sync so that the Pre is now interoperable with the latest version of iTunes 9.0.1.



I officially despise that virus of a company. How long before they are squashed into paste? Who makes the next move, Apple, or the USB-IF? Who will take the issue to Court, Apple, or Palm? Who wants to bet that Palm is bankrolling Psystar?

Comments

  • amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post


    Early Saturday mooring, Palm released yet another patch to their WebOS, 1.2.1. This patch, among other issues, "fixed" the iTunes sync so that the Pre is now interoperable with the latest version of iTunes 9.0.1.



    I officially despise that virus of a company. How long before they are squashed into paste? Who makes the next move, Apple, or the USB-IF? Who will take the issue to Court, Apple, or Palm? Who wants to bet that Palm is bankrolling Psystar?



    I still can't see why people are so anti-consumer as to think interoperability is a bad thing.
  • mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post


    I still can't see why people are so anti-consumer as to think interoperability is a bad thing.



    In this case, interoperability is something you pay for. You can get iTunes for free, but interoperability with a media player costs money. It comes with the purchase of an iDevice.



    iTunes sync is like any other set of drivers for specific hardware. Your printer came wit drivers and software that only work with that printer. Same with your graphics card. Same with your scanner. Same with any Palm device that ships with Palm Desktop. I don't recall Palm Desktop being interoperable with any other devices. This is not about interoperability; this is about piracy, pure and simple. You are being intellectually dishonest.
  • amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post


    This is not about interoperability; this is about piracy, pure and simple. You are being intellectually dishonest.



    No, I disagree.



    I am definitely not stating that Apple need to spend time or money on making their software work with lots of devices. I would like it if they did, but I don't feel that's an obligation.



    What should be an obligation is to not stop other people who want to do that. Interoperability between iTunes and the Pre doesn't hurt any consumers, and does rather significantly help one group of them. It's for this reason that there are interoperability exceptions for things like the DMCA, which defines interoperability as:



    "the term ''interoperability'' means the ability of computer programs to exchange information, and of such programs mutually to use the information which has been exchanged"
  • mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post


    "the term ''interoperability'' means the ability of computer programs to exchange information, and of such programs mutually to use the information which has been exchanged"



    Which can be done without auto-syncing. Interoperability is a straw man. Please tell me again which non-Palm devices can sync with Palm Desktop? Palm is being dishonest and so are the people who are supporting them.
Sign In or Register to comment.