iTunes sync spat between Palm, Apple continues

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The back-and-forth battle between Palm and Apple continues, as the Pre's webOS has been updated to once again sync with iTunes, in spite of a USB-IF statement against the practice.

Palm announced Saturday that webOS 1.2.1 was released, and Sprint customers will receive the update automatically, over the air. It re-enables Palm media sync to work with iTunes 9, and also addresses problems syncing EAS e-mail.

Earlier this week, Palm released webOS 1.2 which featured a number of fixes, but did not re-enable sync with iTunes 9. Earlier in September, when Apple released iTunes 9, it disabled the ability of the Palm Pre to synchronize media with the software.

When sync worked in previous iterations, the Pre identified itself as an Apple iPod via USB. That tactic was frowned upon by the USB Implementers Forum.

Weeks ago, the USB-IF issued a letter in response to a petition from Palm over its dispute with Apple. The non-profit organization that sets standards for the Universal Serial Bus sided with Apple, noting that Palm's tactic of improperly identifying the Pre as an iPod was in violation of the forum's policies. The forum also said that Apple's practice of limiting first-party devices to sync with iTunes was within the rules.

The full list of fixes in webOS 1.2.1, according to Palm, is as follows:

Resolved an issue where after installing the 1.2.0 webOS update some customers running Exchange 2007 could no longer synchronize with their Exchange account for Email, Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks.

Resolves an issue preventing media sync from working with latest version of iTunes (9.0.1).

Media sync now synchronizes photo albums, maintaining the album structure in the Photos app.

Media sync now allows for synchronizing photos without requiring the full-resolution originals. This provides faster display of high-quality full-screen images and enables users to store more photos on the phone.

Resolved an issue where if a user tried to play streaming music or video, the media stream might drop out or have a long delay before starting.

Addresses a security issue encountered by webkit developers. This issue did not impact end users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 181
    This doesn't surprise me.
  • Reply 2 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

This doesn't surprise me.

It does to me. I never seen a company with so much disregard well as respect for using another company credentials to use with their product. Palm needs to go bankrupt and close it doors forever! They have no more creativity nor originality.
  • Reply 3 of 181
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Pre to iTunes: You complete me!
  • Reply 4 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Pre to iTunes: You complete me!

iTunes says to Palm:

"Get your filthy Palms off me! I'm not interested! This is Software Harassment!

Palm to iTunes:

"We were meant to be forever!"
  • Reply 5 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

It does to me. I never seen a company with so much disregard well as respect for using another company credentials to use with their product. Palm needs to go bankrupt and close it doors forever! They have no more creativity nor originality.

Why doesn't Apple just sue them and get it over with?
  • Reply 6 of 181
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Resolves an issue preventing media sync from working with latest version of iTunes (9.0.1).

I like how they sugar-coated the actual "issue". Perhaps the below is the more proper description:

Re-enabled iPod impersonation to break into iTunes (9.0.1).
  • Reply 7 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

iTunes says to Palm:

"Get your filthy Palms off me! I'm not interested! This is Software Harassment!

Palm to iTunes:

"I wish I could quit you!"

see revised
  • Reply 8 of 181
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I started this thread already. Perhaps they can be merged.

My last post stated that Palm was being dishonest when talking about interoperability as Palm Desktop is not exactly open to other devices.
  • Reply 9 of 181
    If it still identifies itself as an iPod, then Palm are really pushing it now.

However, you're forgetting that, unless Apple removed it, iTunes does sync with SOME 3rd party devices. Maybe Palm gave in and got iTunes to work with it as a Palm and not as an iPod.

Or am I giving Palm too much credit...
  • Reply 10 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Re-enabled iPod impersonation to break into iTunes (9.0.1).

Poor hardware impersonators- get no respect!
  • Reply 11 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarleypeople View Post

If it still identifies itself as an iPod, then Palm are really pushing it now.

However, you're forgetting that, unless Apple removed it, iTunes does sync with SOME 3rd party devices. Maybe Palm gave in and got iTunes to work with it as a Palm and not as an iPod.

Or am I giving Palm too much credit...

Nothing syncs with iTunes. Companies can access the xml data and create their own solutions, but not directly with iTunes.
  • Reply 12 of 181
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Jeeze, why can't they just use there own program? Even Sony's Ericsson has its own MP3 transfer application. I mean, unless there trying to get to Mac users, then just make it cross-platform.
  • Reply 13 of 181
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple should have some code that detects the presence of a genuine Apple product over and beyond the USB check.

I will resist the temptation to suggest that then upon finding it isn't attached to a genuine Apple product it does naughty things. Nooo i would never suggest that.
  • Reply 14 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple should have some code that detects the presence of a genuine Apple product over and beyond the USB check.

I will resist the temptation to suggest that then upon finding it isn't attached to a genuine Apple product it does naughty things. Nooo i would never suggest that.

I'll say it. Apple should totally brick anything that invades its ecosystem. Its like shooting a burglar.
  • Reply 15 of 181
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I'll say it. Apple should totally brick anything that invades its ecosystem. Its like shooting a burglar.

Thanks, I was hoping someone else would suggest it

How about Apple replaces all the music with Kenny G so the owner destroys their own Palm.
  • Reply 16 of 181
    Quote:

Nothing syncs with iTunes. Companies can access the xml data and create their own solutions, but not directly with iTunes.

I found this that contradicts your statement

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2172?viewlocale=en_US

The article hasn't been updated since July 22 2008, so I don't know if the products mentioned work with iTunes 9, but I assume so.
  • Reply 17 of 181
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    How do Palm think this is going to end? Apple probably have legal agreements with their content providers as to the allowable syncing. If they can't stop them technically, they will have no choice but to sue. No choice because of their existing agreements.
  • Reply 18 of 181
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Frankly, I don't think that this is Apple's worst problem. And why would it, from all I read and hear Palm is running on fumes.

The latest information is that Palm sold just 375,000 Pre's, far from the number needed to break even. Selling them for $49.00 doesn't help either.

The problem will take care of itself.
  • Reply 19 of 181
    mkralmkral Posts: 57member
    This whole battle seems like a losing proposition for Palm. Imagine if you bought an iphone and every week or couple of weeks it stopped syncing with your media. Eventually it gets fixed, but sooner or later it stops syncing again. This happens over and over. Regardless of who is right and who is wrong, eventually, I'd get tired of this and look for alternate solutions. Even if palm re-enables sync every time, I'd still be pissed if I was a pre user and couldn't get new media onto my phone for a few days or a few weeks every time itunes blocked it. Maybe I"d find some kind of third party software, like the missing sync, or maybe I would go for a new phone. If I went for a new phone, I doubt I'd get the new pre (whatever it was at the time I upgraded), as I know that this hassle is going to continue.
  • Reply 20 of 181
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

You know it *would* be like "shooting a burglar."

It would be a ridiculous over-reaction that says more about the general nastiness of the shooter than it does the burglar, and often leads to the complete destruction of everything the shooter was trying to defend in the first place.