Mac Maintenance

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Are there any concise instructions for keeping your Mac running efficiently? I use disc utility to repair permissions and also Mac Janitor. My Macs seem to run slower and slower. I have two Macs. A MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro Intell Quad. I have this problem with the slow down on both of them. I have 4 gigs of ram on the MacBook Pro and 6 gigs on the Mac Pro Tower. Also, I have noticed that both of the Macs are noisier than they used to be. Both have over 100 gigs of unused drive space. Both are under two years old. They used to both run quietly but now they both make a sound like the drive is writing all the time. I ran hardware tests on both and it said the drives are okay. So I'm thinking there must be some maintenance I need to perform to get rid of unecessary files. Any advice on getting better performance from my Macs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shelley

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    What do you primarily use each computer for? In addition, how cool do you keep them?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    This may not be a factor in your problem, but since I got rid of Google DeskTop, my old G4 runs better and faster.