Apple takes double-digit home PC market share - study

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An estimated 12 percent of all U.S. homes have an Apple computer, though nearly all Mac owners also have a Windows PC in their home, a new study shows.

The NPD Group's 2009 Household Penetration Study found that Mac home marketshare has crossed the double digit threshold, up from 9 percent in 2008. However, most Macs live in a "mixed system environment," the study said, with 85 percent of Mac homes having a Windows machine as well.

"Multiple computer ownership is a common thread in Apple computer households, with 66 percent of households owning three or more computers, compared to just 29 percent of Windows PC households," the company said. "Apple owning households are decidedly more mobile as well, with 72 percent of them owning a notebook, whereas only 50 percent of households that have a Windows PC own a notebook."

The study found that Mac owners have more computers than the average consumer, and that extends over to other types of electronics, including iPods and navigation systems. Of those surveyed, 36 percent of computer owners had an iPod. The share among Mac owners, though, was 63 percent. Similarly, while 12 percent of computer-owning households have a digital SLR camera, the total is 32 percent for Mac homes.

The survey was of more than 2,300 online panelists.

"While Apple owners tend to own more computers and more electronics devices, there is also a high correlation among Apple owners and more affluent consumer households,? said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis. "Thirty-six percent of Apple computer owners reported household incomes greater than $100,000, compared to 21 percent of all consumers.

He added: "With a higher household income, though, it's not a surprise that those consumers are making more electronics purchases. "The average Apple household owns 48 CE devices whereas the average computer household owns about 24. Apple household owners' actions and purchases can be used by the industry as leading indicators for hot new products and adoption."

In September, NPD Group reported that Snow Leopard, Apple's latest operating system upgrade, was off to a swift sales start. Mac OS X 10.6 had initial sales twice as high as its predecessor, Leopard, and four times better than Tiger. The study credited Snow Leopard's competitive $29 price for its strong start.

Recent new data found that total online share of Mac systems grew 5 percent in September, following the release of Snow Leopard. That study found that the total worldwide online presence of Macs was a 5.12 percent share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Call me they have a 10% share of global home computers - i.e. never.

It's worth adding that the computer game is changing though. Phones are becoming computers.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    "though nearly all Mac owners also have a Windows PC in their home"

I wonder what they mean by "nearly all." I suppose switchers fall in that category unless they promptly throw away their old PC. Supporting both OSes in one household has to be the worst of both worlds. I'm glad I've never owned a Windows PC (although I use one every day at work).
  • Reply 3 of 74
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Reminds me of the Advertising Age study last year saying we're all elitists, too.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...users_are.html

http://blogs.jobdig.com/diggings/200...ving-greenies/

The original study is login protected in Advertising Age's site.

- Jasen.

P.S. My MacBook IS my Windows PC. Thanks BootCamp.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Never owned a Windoze PC , never will.

How's that y'all?
  • Reply 5 of 74
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Hmm, looks like that "rounding error" that Steve Ballmer of MS is so nonchalant in saying is being rounded up!
  • Reply 6 of 74
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

"though nearly all Mac owners also have a Windows PC in their home"

I wonder what they mean by "nearly all." I suppose switchers fall in that category unless they promptly throw away their old PC. Supporting both OSes in one household has to be the worst of both worlds. I'm glad I've never owned a Windows PC (although I use one every day at work).

Hear! Hear!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How's that y'all?

I fall into that category as well!
  • Reply 7 of 74
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Most of the Mac users I know don't own a PC, and the ones that do are those that switched to Mac and put their PC into storage. They should have asked those 85% if their PC is still used.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Most of the Mac users I know don't own a PC, and the ones that do are those that switched to Mac and put their PC into storage. They should have asked those 85% if their PC is still used.

The test was done on the Microsoft campus. Yeah, the vast majority of people who own Macs don't use their PC.

It's like owning a kitchen knife and being branded as a potential-killer in a survey.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    I switched from winduh to a mac and haven't touched a winduh for a month now
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Mac only user here to stay, however, the people I live with own a few PCs...
  • Reply 11 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Hear! Hear!

It's not hear hear, it's here here!
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Apple seriously needs to make sure I don't have to bother using Windows. Why use two Operating Systems when one will do? The folly of computing
  • Reply 13 of 74
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Call me they have a 10% share of global home computers - i.e. never.

It's worth adding that the computer game is changing though. Phones are becoming computers.

apple has well over 10 percent since mac's never die

never

ever

they get passed on

and on

even a feeble beaten up dv imac 1999 special can still stream hulu

and on the final days of a mac's event filled life

fish geeks ➤

swoop in and convert the mac to a fish tank

peace

i need a life

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How's that y'all?

• Reply 14 of 74
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

This is the crux. It's highly doubtful any of these people went out and purchased both a PC and a Mac at the same time/store. Instead, the question is how many were PC users, then moved to Mac, and how many were Mac users that moved to PCs. I have WindowsXP loaded on my MacBook Pro and can't honestly remember how many months it's been since I've used it personally (I use it when I teach Windows programming, but that's it). If I owned a Mac and time came to upgrade to a PC, I'd forgo spending even a paltry $500 on a netbook with Windows and just spring for a copy of Windows 7 this month and use Bootcamp to partition and have it there if I need it. Cheaper and you still get everything you want with a dedicated PC.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    Weirs sounds like they never heart of BootCamp.

i run snow leopard and windows 7 on my 24" iMac

and i hardly use the windows once every two months is alot.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Apple seriously needs to make sure I don't have to bother using Windows. Why use two Operating Systems when one will do? The folly of computing

How can Apple make sure that you don't have to bother using Windows? They definitely can't for gamers as many games require Direct X, which Microsoft will never license to Apple.

I personally have a PC because I wanted to build a computer and troubleshoot problems again as well as maybe play some PC only games. I also like to stay in touch with developments on the Windows side so I can objectively state which operating system I prefer. Blood pressure readings would indicate that I prefer mac.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Mac only user here to stay, however, the people I live with own a few PCs...

late at night when those pc people are asleep you must.....
  • Reply 18 of 74
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

This is the crux. It's highly doubtful any of these people went out and purchased both a PC and a Mac at the same time/store. Instead, the question is how many were PC users, then moved to Mac, and how many were Mac users that moved to PCs. I have WindowsXP loaded on my MacBook Pro and can't honestly remember how many months it's been since I've used it personally (I use it when I teach Windows programming, but that's it). If I owned a Mac and time came to upgrade to a PC, I'd forgo spending even a paltry $500 on a netbook with Windows and just spring for a copy of Windows 7 this month and use Bootcamp to partition and have it there if I need it. Cheaper and you still get everything you want with a dedicated PC.

The Macbook Pro makes a great PC platform, better notebook hardware than you will likely find elsewhere.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    I have both Windows and Mac at home. It's 3 Macs to 1 Windows PC. I do some programming in Visual Studio and Windows is needed for that. For my day-to-day computing needs, I use my Macs... I don't feel the need to be one-sided.

EDIT: It just feels dirty to put Windows on a Mac to me... though, I do have XP running via Virtual Box on my iMac. I rarely use it. I also have Ubuntu using Virtual Box, use it even less. I, for one, just don't understand all of the Linux push. The only Linux has over MacOSX or Windows is that it's free... and there are way too many distros. Very hard to pick one, so most people just use Ubuntu because it's the most "marketed" version.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    I take away from the article that Mac users consume more electronic goods than PC users... So...

Either Mac owners keep their CE Devices longer...

The CE Devices Mac users have are of better quality and last longer...

Mac users are accustomed to devices lasting longer when quality is taken...

PC users who are accustomed to their computer failing don't put trust in well built CE Devices... Or simply don't buy well built devices? Are they cheap? Do they not make enough money to facilitate buying a Mac or better quality device? And is there any way Apple can make a MAC that they can afford so as to save their life (digitally)? That is the question.

Every Intel Mac user on that list is also a PC owner... So was that taken into account?