Time Machine "restore" failure

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Following my internal startup disk failure (System v. 10.5.8) on a G5 (mid-2004) I am trying to restore it from the Time Machine backup folder Backups.backupdb located on an external 1TB WD called ?Time Machine Backups? also containing additional folders with other backups.

The internal startup now has only Sys. v.10.5. installed from Apple?s disk.

Using Leopard?s start-up disk to ?Restore System from Backup? it finds the 1TB WD disk called ?Time Machine Backups?. After clicking on ?continue? the next window reads ?No Mac OSX System Backup Found?.

The backup folder called ?Backups.backupdb? begins on 5-13-09 with 7 day backup intervals to 7-30-09. The month of August only contains 4 backups. The month of September shows daily backups.

Any help as to why TM is unable to find any of my clearly visible OSX System Backups up to 9-30-09, on the WD external drive would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    The simplest explanation is that TM('s backup schedule) was switched off during that period. So somebody with access to your Mac, in that case, must have switched it off...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by readinfo View Post

Following my internal startup disk failure (System v. 10.5.8) on a G5 (mid-2004) I am trying to restore it from the Time Machine backup folder Backups.backupdb located on an external 1TB WD called “Time Machine Backups” also containing additional folders with other backups.

Have you repaired or replaced faulty drive? It's a must for TM.

Quote:

The internal startup now has only Sys. v.10.5. installed from Apple’s disk.

Using Leopard’s start-up disk to “Restore System from Backup” it finds the 1TB WD disk called “Time Machine Backups”. After clicking on “continue” the next window reads “No Mac OSX System Backup Found”.

TM is very --- and I mean very! --- strict in its routines. It verifies hardware and software quite diligently: logical board or hard drive replaced --- old backups are accessible only the first time, when you choose "Restore from backup" from Leopard Installer. After the restore is complete, old backups become inaccessible; TM creates the fresh backup database. And the restore should indeed be the very first operation.

Quote:

The backup folder called “Backups.backupdb” begins on 5-13-09 with 7 day backup intervals to 7-30-09. The month of August only contains 4 backups. The month of September shows daily backups.

TM seems to have been working properly. It keeps intact all hourly backups for recent 24 hours, all daily backups for last 30 days, weekly backups for any time spans out of the last month (until the backup disk is full; then theoretically it should ask you what to delete to free the space, but I'm yet to see this prompt, there's still enough room on my backup drive).