Formatting Mac

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does one need to format mac osx like one has to do on windows ?

I mean after some time a windows system will fragment. What about Mac ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Defragmenting is different from formatting.

Defragmenting hard drives is not recommended for Mac OS X. This OS performs its own optimizations of the file allocation for its internal purposes and no defragmentation tool is so far certified to work correctly in this environment.

Defragmenting HFS/HFS+ drives doesn't improve considerably computer's performance.

Formatting is called initialization. Yes, you may initialize your disks by erasing them.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Ivan is right. It is, however, recommended to repair permissions every few months, or after a major software installation or update. You use 'Disk Utility' for that (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility). Select your harddisk in the left column, and click 'repair permissions'. This process may take upto half an hour. You can continue working on your Mac while permissions are being repaired in the background.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Ivan is right. It is, however, recommended to repair permissions every few months, or after a major software installation or update.

No this is not recommended, and depending on this sort of thing is somewhat silly. If repairing permissions actually does something on your computer then you have a real problem. And I am not talking about the long list of false positives that repair permissions pulls up... that is just a waste of time.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I never had repairing permissions actually fix anything. Disk Utilities only fixes system files permissions and it wouldn't do much after a 3rd party app install.

What would be better in a regiment of monthly or quarterly maintenance would be to run a cache clearing utility like Leopard Cache Cleaner, or manually clearing out your user caches and restarting. Also doing a file system check (fsck) every few months can correct directory issues that are bound to happen. You have to do it in single user mode though.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I never had repairing permissions actually fix anything. Disk Utilities only fixes system files permissions and it wouldn't do much after a 3rd party app install.

Repairing permissions has fixed things for me. If an App is no longer performing a previously working function try repairing permissions. It's cheep, non-intrusive and doesn't take much time. In many cases it fixes the problem.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Installer refuses to install software. Some programs complain about their bundles being inaccessible. All that is a clear sign of the necessity to repair permissions.

Fortunately, it helps more often, than fails to help.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Installer refuses to install software. Some programs complain about their bundles being inaccessible. All that is a clear sign of the necessity to repair permissions.

Fortunately, it helps more often, than fails to help.

I agree. Apple would not put out articles like this if it didn't help
  • Reply 8 of 9
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adambrown81 View Post

Hi

You can install your system. And this error message will disappear. But I do not recommend you to do that. You may try a software named Perfect Optimizer, this software can help you solve this problem. In addition,Perfect Optimizer can make the free scanning regarding virus,and it may optimize the registry,Scavenging system trash,then your computer will change quickly exempt from virus's violation.

Ummm, what viruses? What registry?

Did you get lost looking for a Windows website?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    It's ***************************************