Buying Opinions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm thinking I may try to upgrade my laptop as my main objective is to get CS4 right now but I have a friend who is selling his MacBook Pro for $900. What's your opinion as you would know better what Macs can handle? My main problem is speed especially with CS programs and I do need a new battery.

I have:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"

Machine Model: PowerBook5,9

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.9.5f3

His computer:

2.16 ghz Core 2 Duo Processor

3 GB RAM (Newly upgraded)

320 GB 7200rpm HDD (Newly upgraded)

Dual Layer Superdrive (DVD and CD recorder)

15.4" 1440x900 Widescreen Glossy Display

128MB ATI x1600 Video

DVI-VGA adapter Cable

Apple Wireless Remote

Brand new battery

It includes OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard, iLife 09, and iWork 09, all part of the "Mac Box Set," so this is all legal software.

The original box, discs and documentation are all included.

The condition of the system is excellent with one minor exception - there seems to be a very slight bend in the casing underneath the expresscard slot. One of my photos shows it.

Do you think it's doable with what I have (and what could I do?) or should I go with the newer MacBook and save myself the headache? What's the main difference with the computers?

Thanks everyone!

Tiffany

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrsRiv View Post

I'm thinking I may try to upgrade my laptop as my main objective is to get CS4 right now but I have a friend who is selling his MacBook Pro for $900. What's your opinion as you would know better what Macs can handle? My main problem is speed especially with CS programs and I do need a new battery.

I have:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"

Machine Model: PowerBook5,9

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.9.5f3

His computer:

2.16 ghz Core 2 Duo Processor

3 GB RAM (Newly upgraded)

320 GB 7200rpm HDD (Newly upgraded)

Dual Layer Superdrive (DVD and CD recorder)

15.4" 1440x900 Widescreen Glossy Display

128MB ATI x1600 Video

DVI-VGA adapter Cable

Apple Wireless Remote

Brand new battery

It includes OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard, iLife 09, and iWork 09, all part of the "Mac Box Set," so this is all legal software.

The original box, discs and documentation are all included.

The condition of the system is excellent with one minor exception - there seems to be a very slight bend in the casing underneath the expresscard slot. One of my photos shows it.

Do you think it's doable with what I have (and what could I do?) or should I go with the newer MacBook and save myself the headache? What's the main difference with the computers?

Thanks everyone!

Tiffany

Hi Tiffany,

that MBP sounds like a good machine for your purpose. At a good price. Of course a new machine

is better and faster. However, although it's twice as expensive, it's not twice as good, imo.

But how about a new iMac? It's just as fast as the fastest MBP at only two-thirds the price, and it's got a gorgeous, 20" or 24", glossy screen. Much better for photo editing than that puny 15" MBP screen (how often do you edit photos while on the road/in the field anyway?). For portable computing you then still have your PowerBook.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Hi Tiffany,

that MBP sounds like a good machine for your purpose. At a good price. Of course a new machine

is better and faster. However, although it's twice as expensive, it's not twice as good, imo.

But how about a new iMac? It's just as fast as the fastest MBP at only two-thirds the price, and it's got a gorgeous, 20" or 24", glossy screen. Much better for photo editing than that puny 15" MBP screen (how often do you edit photos while on the road/in the field anyway?). For portable computing you then still have your PowerBook.

I have a PowerPC G5 Dual with a large glossy screen for my most intense work that I can do from home. But I like to have a laptop that I can take on the road for working on projects. It's mostly for Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign. So no animation or gaming purposes.