Terrorist Attack in Lima, Peru?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I can't find an article on this yet, but it seems that a large explosion of fireworks and other associated explosives has gone off in Lima. They are claiming hundreds are dead and that some homes/buildings have collapsed.

Crowds also gathered to see what was happening, preventing emergency response authorities from getting to the scene in a timely fashion.

Was this just a bad accident or something more sinister? (I know it's sad that every time a tragedy occurs we think of terrorism, but I guess that's the new age we live in.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    From the AP:

[quote]DECEMBER 29, 22:20 ET

100 Feared Dead in Peru Market Fire

LIMA, Peru (AP) ? A fire broke out Saturday night in downtown Lima when a cache of fireworks exploded near a street market and a fire spread to two blocks of apartments and stores. The fire chief said he feared as many as 100 people may have died.

Fire Chief Tulio Nicolini told reporters he didn't know what caused the initial blast, but that it occured around 8 p.m.

Efforts to fight the blaze were hindered by low water pressure and crowds of onlookers drawn by the flames, who initially blocked fire trucks. <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 2 of 2
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The last Peruvian terrorist attack that really made any news was when a band of guerillas took over the president's residence or something.

Without reading the article, I can tell you that deadly fireworks factory or warehouse related explosions aren't out of the ordinary. You hear about them every now and then. New Year's celebrations = lots of fireworks.