When is the last time you bought software for your Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I only ask because I don't remember the last software I purchased for my computer. All of my purchases have been for the iPhone. I am curious to know if I am on the leading edge of a new trend, or just plain weird. Besides the OS, I believe my last boxed software purchase was when I bought Logic Studio 8. That was a year or two ago.

Once upon a time, I was the guy who always browsed the software shelves to see what was new and interesting. Now, I couldn't care less. Anyway, I am eager to discover if anyone else has a similar experience.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Yeah me too but I use my desktop software way more than the iphone software. I do find a compulsion to buy useful software for the iphone to justify the expense. My computer on the other hand already does what I need so I don't feel the same need to add to it.

It's very difficult even with the app store changes to find good apps because you cannot browse by rating. I find this utterly ridiculous. I don't want 2 or 3 star apps that Apple recommends simply because people are trying them out, I want to see apps that users enjoyed using.

It's also difficult because you are restricted by Apple's approvals. I like Palm's way, which is have an approved app store but allow external links so anything goes like emulators.

In this regard, I don't see the App Store success as a trend but rather the effect of a partly flawed implementation. It's subjective though and depends on what reason you have for buying software.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Leopard was the last separate software I bought for my Macs.

And I own nearly 300 apps...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Since I don’t have an iPhone...

I purchased top-of-the-line Accordance and many modules for $800. Earlier this year I purchased Adobe CS4 Premier Collection (Acrobat Pro, Bridge, Device Central, Dreamweaver, Drive, Fireworks, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign, Media Player, Photoshop) for education for $600.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Update to system on Sept 14, 2009 purchase of Snow Leopard.

June 3rd, 2009 purchase of iZotope RX Audio Restoration App, cost was 10 times that of Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Non-Apple -- Upgrades for Reunion and Toast... probably about a year ago each.

Apple -- Snow Leopard (if that counts), iWork 09.

edit: Graphic Converter in the past 12 months, too
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Seems to be a pattern, here. Is it really because our Macs provide us with all the computing nirvana we need, or has the iPhone sucked all the air out of software development?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Studio 8 in 2006; MS Office 8 and some small apps until 2009. Adobe Acrobat Professional earlier this year. Since then, other than CCC , nothing.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Snow Leopard. Prior to that was iWork '09. Prior to that was the most recent MacHeist. It's funny actually... I am purchasing a ton of stuff on and for my iPhone, but as you put it, seem to be at a stage of software nirvana with my Mac. I need some kind of pixel editor... photomatix maybe?