Mac Pro Memory

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just picked up a new Quad Core Mac Pro. (Was a previous PC owner).

I choose the base memory setup: 3GB (1x1x1) because I assumed that it'd be easy/cheap enough to upgrade that on my own.

However, I've found conflicting reports about how to upgrade the RAM.

Ideally I'd like to get up to 7 or 8 GB. I have one RAM slot open, can I just buy a 4GB chip and stick it in there or do I have to replace all of the existing RAM?

Also, do I have to buy a specific brand/type or can I mix brands? Does it have to be labeled as memory for a Mac or will it work as long as the specs match up to what I have already? A lot of the 'Memory for Mac' sites I've found are way more expensive than I've previously paid for RAM.

If I can get through this without crying for my PC back, I think I'll be a successful convert

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Its better to put equal amounts of RAM in each slot but not necessary as long as you fill all the slots.

Go to Crucial.com and they have a wizard that will help you choose what RAM to buy at a descent price
  • Reply 2 of 3
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Not only that, its triple channel +1 (they couldn't fit the the other two slots for the second triple channel), Its probably better to get a quad 2GB kit.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Not only that, its triple channel +1 (they couldn't fit the the other two slots for the second triple channel), Its probably better to get a quad 2GB kit.

I'm not arguing with you but I find it hard to believe Apple could not find the space to fit 2 extra slots (total of 6) on that board. The CPU tray on the quad has enough empty space for 4 people to have dinner on!