problems migrating photo library

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

Can anyone help?

I'm a long time but pretty un technical Mac user and just upgraded my old PowerBookG4, running Tiger to a brand new MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.

Using Migration Assistant I wirelessly transferred photos from one to the other. This just created two user accounts on the new mac, after much trial and error ( mostly error) I have got my photos into my primary account and deleted the account I don't want. My iPhoto library now appears in my Pictures folder as a coloured iPhoto icon not just a plain folder. In addition I have multiple copies of pretty well every photo, including hundreds of 'Faces' thumbnails of people in the background of crowd shots-Is this all normal and do I just need to square my shoulders and get oprganising or have I done something wrong?

Any help would be warmly appreciated

Timidly yours

Bob

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeybob64 View Post

My iPhoto library now appears in my Pictures folder as a coloured iPhoto icon not just a plain folder.

That's normal. If you want to see inside, right-click and choose "show package contents". However, do not move or edit anything, or you'll screw up iPhoto.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeybob64 View Post

In addition I have multiple copies of pretty well every photo, including hundreds of 'Faces' thumbnails of people in the background of crowd shots-Is this all normal and do I just need to square my shoulders and get oprganising or have I done something wrong?

Any help would be warmly appreciated

I think a screen-shot (or maybe even a video, QTX has built-in video screen grab and publishing to youtube) would help, just to be sure we understand exactly what the problem is.

Do you still have your old Mac with everything intact?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

That's normal. If you want to see inside, right-click and choose "show package contents". However, do not move or edit anything, or you'll screw up iPhoto.

I think a screen-shot (or maybe even a video, QTX has built-in video screen grab and publishing to youtube) would help, just to be sure we understand exactly what the problem is.

Do you still have your old Mac with everything intact?

Many thanks-I do have my old Mac intact and in the meantime re installed iPhoto and went over the whole preocess again which seems to have fixed the problem!

I'm very grateful for the time you took to reply

Bob