Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.6.2 beta with guest account glitch fix

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Friday sent its third beta release of the forthcoming Mac OS X 10.6.2 update with fixes for QuickTime, iChat, and a widely reported guest account glitch that could delete user data..

People familiar with build 10C527f said the latest update has only one known issue, and has a number of fixes in 13 different focus areas. It also reportedly provides reliability improvements for iWork, iLife, Aperture, Final Cut Studio, MobileMe, iDisk, and Safari plug-ins.

The update also reportedly fixes a glitch that could delete user data. The problem is triggered by logging in and out of a guest account on a Snow Leopard machine. Upon logging back in to their regular account, some users may find that it has been wiped of all data. Apple acknowledged the issue earlier this week, stating it is working on a fix.

The latest build allegedly provides a number of GraphicsDrivers fixes, including resolutions for crashes with OpenCL, a screen flickering issue, and stuttering while playing 1080p content with QuickTime Player X.

The update is also said to resolve an issue that did not allow some QuickTime movies to play in QuickTime Player X.

A handful of iMovie-related issues were also addressed, including color shift issues and a crash that occurred when looping previews of titles in the skimming palette.

The update is a 483.5MB file, and is the third beta release in less than two weeks. The previous build of Mac OS X 10.6.2 was provided to developers on Oct. 9. The last build addressed nearly 150 general focus areas covering a wide range.

Released just days after the launch of Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.1 addressed printer issues, updated the Adobe Flash Player plug-in, and resolved issues with the Mail application, among other fixes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I've experienced issue where I'm asked to try Mobile Me or to sign in, yet in System Preferences the button says sign out. Though it seems to be a small issue. What I have noticed more is a more slow Mobile Me performance in general, but I guess that's why it costs that price, 'cause you get a free tease.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    Mail preferences/rules/conditions

When there are more than 25 conditions entered into a Rule the Conditions window will expand beyond the size of the screen taking the control buttons Cancel and OK off the bottom of the screen.

This is an old, 2 years, Mail flaw that has been verified several times by Apple on-line help techs and several of my colleges.

Open Mail preferences

Create a new rule

Add 25 plus conditions

Conditions window will expand beyond the computer screen size

Hit the Condition Window resize button.... the Rules window, one level below the Condition Window will resize.

Fortunately the OK button can be activated with the Enter key.

Jim
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Also fixes the guest account data deletion problem.

http://news.worldofapple.com/archive...ld-seed-notes/
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Apple store is down.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Apple store is down.

Ohhh -whiii
  • Reply 6 of 54
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

Ohhh -whiii

New iMacs?
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Announce new Macs on Friday PM EST?

Quote:

Ohhh -whiii

• Reply 8 of 54
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Ohhh -whiii

Is this a first? Will I find my new iMac on there?
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alangsam View Post

Announce new Macs on Friday PM EST?

http://isapplestoredown.com/
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Have they fixed Exposé yet?
  • Reply 11 of 54
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    - New mice

- New iMacs

- New Appletv

• Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

- New mice

- New iMacs

- New Appletv

No sleep!
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Let's not forget Mac Mini .
  • Reply 14 of 54
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I'd like to see this one come before the end of the month. I'm still getting some spinning beach balls in Safari.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    I was hoping it would fix the apple event timeout issue when event id reaches FFFF.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    I wonder if 10.6.2 or the Apple store updates will fix apple.com... I haven't been able to access apple.com since I installed 10.6.1 (I don't know about 10.6 since I could barely use the computer until I installed 10.6.1). I get an error:

"Safari is no longer responding because of a script on the webpage "Apple" (http://www.apple.com/). Do you want to stop running the script, or let it continue?"
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Store is back up!!! but what's new? \
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:

Apple store is down.

Nothing.

No updates either.

Looks like they are getting READY FOR TUESDAY.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The store is back up!
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:

Nothing.

No updates either.

We're all acting like a pack of FOOLS!!