FreeBSD adds support for Snow Leopards' Grand Central Dispatch

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple's Grand Central Dispatch technology, which debuted in Snow Leopard as a mechanism for optimizing parallelism across multiple cores and processors, has now been ported to FreeBSD.

Apple publicly announced plans to release its GCD technology as open source last month; the FreeBSD team demonstrated its early port of the new feature at EuroBSDCon 2009 in Cambridge, UK just days after Apple's announcement. Out of the box support for GCD is scheduled to appear with the release of FreeBSD 8.1.

The work required to port Apple's GCD event and concurrency framework to other operating systems is more complex than many other higher-level open source packages because GCD requires integration into the kernel (the core component of the operating system which manages processes, memory, and other hardware).

Most Unix-based software is highly portable between Mac OS X, Linux, and BSD, but significant kernel differences between these systems makes porting low-level, kernel-integrated technologies like GCD more work. In particular, Mac OS X uses a unique kernel design based on a hybrid of Mach and BSD. Porting GCD to FreeBSD required adaptations to account for a more conventional kernel environment without a Mach layer, such as using POSIX semaphores instead of Mach semaphores.

FreeBSD's porting efforts should help to make GCD easier to port to other operating systems with conventional Unix or Unix-like kernels, including OpenBSD, NetBSD, Linux, and Solaris.

In addition to kernel support, GCD requires compiler adaptations (a compiler is used to transform human readable source code language into the binary object code of an application). Apple's work on the Clang compiler front end and LLVM (Low Level Virtual Machine, the back end), makes porting this portion of GCD to other operating systems easier. This is particularly the case for FreeBSD, which has been quick to embrace support for Apple's Clang/LLVM open source projects.

The porting of GCD to other operating systems will help broaden the new technology's appeal. MacResearch, a website covering the use of Apple technologies in the scientific research community, observed last month that "with the possibility that Grand Central will become available on other Unix systems, the likelihood that Grand Central will be incorporated into command line tools is greatly increased.?

Significant new outside interest in GCD will also likely result in a wider support base for building parallelism compatible with Apple?s other open technologies, such as OpenCL and the aforementioned Clang/LLVM compiler tools.

FreeBSD and Mac OS X

FreeBSD is a direct heir of UC Berkeley's "standard distribution" of Unix, which was created first to augment and then to replace AT&T's commercial Unix along with its expensive and closed licensing. NeXT incorporated BSD's operating system technology into its desktop workstations in the late 80s, back when using version 4.3 BSD meant licensing AT&T's Unix as well.

After BSD developers removed the vestiges of AT&T's commercial Unix code in 1991, BSD was released under a permissive license on its own; significant portions were incorporated into a wide variety of operating systems from SVR4 Unix to Windows and in many embedded applications such as network routers and firewalls. The widespread use of BSD Unix, and in particular its high quality networking code, helped to foster smooth interoperability among different vendors' products on the Internet.

In 1992, AT&T sued BSD over copyright and trademark infringement issues that were not resolved until 1994. The legal uncertainties raised by those challenges resulted a vacuum filled by Linux, which first appeared in 1991. That resulted in shifting most open source operating system development from BSD to Linux.

Apple's acquisition of NeXT at the end of 1996 resulted in Mac OS X inheriting a BSD foundation; the company had previously offered a Linux distribution (MkLinux) for its PowerPC Mac users who wanted to run an open, Unix-like environment. While open source development is still centered on Linux, Apple's move to adopt NeXT's operating system technology not only made it the world's largest Unix vendor but also shifted a significant amount of the *nix-world's attention back toward BSD.

Apple has since regularly synced its Mac OS X development roadmap to FreeBSD in its efforts to incorporate open source modernizations into what had been the aging codebase of NeXTSTEP, although the company has also borrowed technologies from other BSDs, Linux, and Sun's OpenSolaris.

The company has also contributed technology back or funded the development of projects that various open source operating systems have incorporated, including Bonjour, Clang/LLVM, CUPS (the Common Unix Printing System), and now of course GCD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Daniel, I don't know why you don't use your real name. Yes, my real name is Ireland. Ireland O'Reilly. Brother to Bill-O. One of these days that WiFi bug will get a post by the AI team, I hope. The thread over on the Apple discussion forums has reached 89 pages now. I think it's worth a story, but that would because I live in the real world.

Wine Grammar!
  • Reply 2 of 33
    This is great news; Grand Central Dispatch greatly simplifies parallelization.

However, the author seems to have a bit of confusion regarding the acronym; GCD and CGD are not equivalent.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    No GCD in the linux kernel unless Linux goes GPL v3 rather than GPL v2.

Or Linus ignores the FSF and goes with the Apache position that GPL V2 Only is compatible with the Apache License V2. Legally there's probably merit to that position but RMS would have a cow or something.

I think the drama would be much higher for option 2 and I don't see Linux going v3. So I'm guessing no GCD for llinux.

Here's a big

for freetards. BSD FTW.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Daniel, I don't know why you don't use your real name. Yes, my real name is Ireland. Ireland O'Reilly. Brother to Bill-O. One of these days that WiFi bug will get a post by the AI team, I hope. The thread over on the Apple discussion forums has reached 89 pages now. I think it's worth a story, but that would because I live in the real world.

Duly noted Ireland but lets not try to threadjack. The Wifi issues will have their day (and thread) eventually

As for GCD..the more it's used the better and more powerful it becomes. Good news although not unexpected IMO.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjhomer View Post

This is great news; Grand Central Dispatch greatly simplifies parallelization.

However, the author seems to have a bit of confusion regarding the acronym; GCD and CGD are not equivalent.

Maybe it was just a typo?

Speaking of which, why are the AI comments all catty and obnoxious?

Ireland, sounds like you got time on your hands. Why don't you write up the wifi issue and submit it to AI? Sounds really fascinating.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Glad to see open source working once again for Apple. GCD is a perfect technology to go that route. Apple will get benefit from the contributions of the BSD community on GCD in the future.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjhomer View Post

Nothing to worry about. Just the dyslexia kicking in.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    This should be seen as a positive for open source and Apple. Great news.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This is good but I think it will need to be in Linux too if there's any chance of it becoming a defacto standard for multi-core utilization on Un*xes.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    The proof is in the pudding - Let's see benchmarks on the same multi-core hardware, using GCD and non=GCD builds of FreeBSD. Show me the advantage in handling multithreaded software. Anandtech? Anyone?
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

The proof is in the pudding - Let's see benchmarks on the same multi-core hardware, using GCD and non=GCD builds of FreeBSD. Show me the advantage in handling multithreaded software. Anandtech? Anyone?

The existing port to FreeBSD is unfinished, and is missing many optimizations found in the Mac version. Benchmarking at this point might be a little premature.

But don't just take my word for it, get the story straight from the daemon's mouth.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Duly noted Ireland but lets not try to threadjack. The Wifi issues will have their day (and thread) eventually

Funny I don't even know what that issue is. Seems to me if it was a serious issue somebody would start a thread themselves.

Quote:

As for GCD..the more it's used the better and more powerful it becomes.

The GCD spec and implementation is rather complete, it isn't going to become more powerful just because other platforms use it. The more platforms it runs on however the more developer mindshare it will grab outside of Apple developers.

The goal should be wide spread adoption to simplfy porting of software and to effectively compete against other similar technologies.

Quote:

Good news although not unexpected IMO.

Yep people shouldn't be surprised as GCD is very good technology. However one must temper the response here as the BSD guys specifical described this as a preliminary release. To really be competitive with what Apple is offering they will have to redo the BSD scheduler and likely other low level parts of the OS. It simply takes time to debug and distill all that tech into a reliable revision. In any event the BSD guys ought to be applauded for going at this with a gusto.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm not sure it was your intention or not but you make it sound like open source is foriegn to Apple. Frankly I think many in the open source world are glad Apple is around. It is not "again" but just another facet we are seeing here of Apples continued development in this regards.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Glad to see open source working once again for Apple. GCD is a perfect technology to go that route.

Well it isn't bad that is for sure. What I would find most interesting is what drove Apple in this direction. We will likely never know the details but they did bypass other alternative open software solutions for parallel code.

Quote:

Apple will get benefit from the contributions of the BSD community on GCD in the future.

Yes this could be a huge gain for Apple but it might be a bigger gain for programing in general. Let's face it Apple is wedded to Objective C, but the BSD community could do a lot to establish new language revisions, that would adapt GCD, to things besides Objective C. Everything from ForTran to Ruby could concievably be re rigged to benefit from GCD tech. Of course in some cases that might be a lot of work, so instead we might see new languages spring up built around the concepts Apple puts forth here. There is a big potential for new scripting languages for one.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Not surprising the FreeBSD would be right up there. When Mac OS X was first arriving Apple recruited from the FreeBSD core team to support the integration. Jordan Hubbard is still there.

What's so exciting about this is that GCD is a fairly obvious idea but totally essential and elegantly implemented. Now that the ceiling on individual processor speed has been reached, the requirement for efficiently parcelling work out between multiple cores is evident. GCD takes the responsibility for thread management away from the app developer and puts it in the OS -- where it should be.

It'll take maybe 3-5 years before this is properly leveraged into mainstream apps. That's when your 16-core MacBook will really sing.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

No GCD in the linux kernel unless Linux goes GPL v3 rather than GPL v2.

Or Linus ignores the FSF and goes with the Apache position that GPL V2 Only is compatible with the Apache License V2. Legally there's probably merit to that position but RMS would have a cow or something.

I think the drama would be much higher for option 2 and I don't see Linux going v3. So I'm guessing no GCD for llinux.

Apple could choose whatever license they liked/wanted since it's their code, so it left me thinking whether it could be Apple's intention not to have GCD on Linux. Apple could have chosen BSD license and nothing could prevent GCD being used in Linux kernel directly.

However, since BSDs and Linux don't have similar kernel internals (unlike Apple's Darwin and FreeBSD, which do), maybe this is irrelevant, since there would have to be a completely new implementation of the kernel components on Linux anyway and no code copying, which would mean the license of Apple's GCD does not matter for Linux port of kernel components.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Funny I don't even know what that issue is. Seems to me if it was a serious issue somebody would start a thread themselves.

Like the 89 page thread on the Apple Discussion Boards?
  • Reply 17 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Like the 89 page thread on the Apple Discussion Boards?

From the BBC blog you linked in. Thanks.

" At 8:34pm on 15 Oct 2009, DaveGreen55 wrote:

I had the problems with my iphone, but on advice updated with the latest software update and it has resolved all issues - i.e. lack of wifi, coma mode - I am now very happy iphone owner again!"
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

I don't think the standard kind of benchmark applies here, i.e the benchmark where we measure a computer's speed with and without the feature. If I understand GCD correctly, the main benefit will be measured in developer-time, not CPU-time. For example, a programmer who's already proficient in GCD may be able to create software that exploits multiple cores in a matter of days, whereas it might take months for a programmer without this tool to exploit multi-cores. But both solutions would run equally fast after they're debugged, it's just that GCD makes it much cheaper to debug.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

From the BBC blog you linked in. Thanks.

" At 8:34pm on 15 Oct 2009, DaveGreen55 wrote:

I had the problems with my iphone, but on advice updated with the latest software update and it has resolved all issues - i.e. lack of wifi, coma mode - I am now very happy iphone owner again!"

You really cherry-picked that one eh? I watched the show and the general consensus seemed to be 3.1.2 fixes issues, but diffidently not all of them. It specifically didn't fix the WiFi issue for most the vast majority of people with it. Besides, I don't need to read comments to know I own two iPhones with 3.1.2 and WiFi issues on both of them.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Is GCD integration in FreeBSD 8.1 mentioned on the freebsd.org website? I only see the upcoming 8.0 RC1 mentioned.

A link would be helpful.