iMac G5 Loud Fan Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I have an iMac G5 1.8 Ghz PPC. Every now and then, when I put the mac to sleep, rather than go to sleep, I see an odd problem that causes the fans to speed up and the power light to light up to full brightness (rather than pulse as when asleep). When this happens, as well as being extremely noisy, the mac cannot be 'awoken', I need to hard reset in order to be able to use it again.

Trawling google/this forum, it looks like the problem might be caused by a faulty usb hub/device that causes the macs heat regulation to go out of the window, meaning the fans switch on to max in order to stop the computer over heating. The only usb hub I use is the apple keyboard. This also ties in with an issue I've seen with Hardware Growl that causes growl alerts to continuously appear for 'IOUSB Device' being connected/disconnected, which I'm guessing is the keyboard playing up also. Unless of course there is some problem with the usb controller on the motherboard.

Is there anyway of confirming this problem as the keyboard short of buying a new one. It is a problem I see intermittently at best so is very hard to pin point the exact cause, as I said, I'm going by posts i found via google. Just curious if anyone here has heard of anything similar or has any advice?

Cheers.

Elliot

Comments