iLife upgrade

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
does anyone know if you can upgrade from any previous version? i can't find anything on the web

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I don't think iLife (and iWork) use an upgrade system (the separate apps do get updated regularly through Apple's online Software Update scheme, though). Afaik you simply have to buy the new iteration if you want it's specs and functionality.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    RS is correct... but at $79, buying a whole new version isn't so bad. You just have to get used to the fact that the pricing of this stuff is different than the way Microsoft does it. (Office = 199 plus 49 for the next upgrade = 248 ... iWork = 79 plus 79 for the next version = 158)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

[...] the pricing of this stuff is different than the way Microsoft does it. (Office = 199 plus 49 for the next upgrade = 248 ... iWork = 79 plus 79 for the next version = 158)

Indeed! Plus the fact that there was 4 years between Office for Mac 2004 and Office for Mac 2008! While iLife got a meaningful new version every year, afaik. Yet 80% of iLife users can probably easily afford to skip every other year's version. The differences aren't that earthshaking that I couldn't live with that latest and greatest iteration for a year, in my experience.

iWork 08, as an example, is perfect, no, it's overkill really, for my needs. So I'm skipping iWork 09. $79 saved.