Guess on core "i" for Mac Pro??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So when do people think the Mac Pro will get the core "i" treatment?? Haven't really been keeping up with the rumor sites lately.

I have a couple of brand new microphones I'm going to sell so i can afford one when the mac pro's get the bump. Can't wait!!! hoping its coming soon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    The Core i7s are Xeon 3500s with ECC memory support enabled. Same price, same motherboards. You won't be seeing cheaper Mac Pros because a) the component prices are the same and b) the reason Mac Pro prices are astronomical in the first place is to protect the iMac and have lineup with no overlap.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The Core i7s are Xeon 3500s with ECC memory support enabled. Same price, same motherboards. You won't be seeing cheaper Mac Pros because a) the component prices are the same and b) the reason Mac Pro prices are astronomical in the first place is to protect the iMac and have lineup with no overlap.

So the Mac Pro's that just got bumped (last week was it?) are the core i7's ?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coloredtoad View Post

So the Mac Pro's that just got bumped (last week was it?) are the core i7's ?

The Mac Pros have not been changed since the beginning of 2009. They've been Nehalem based since then.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The Mac Pros have not been changed since the beginning of 2009. They've been Nehalem based since then.

Are they the Core i cpu's?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Are they the Core i cpu's?

Core i CPUs also use the Nehalem architecture.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Core i CPUs also use the Nehalem architecture.

So are the core i in the Mac Pro's core i5 or core i7?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

They are a step above Core i7s. Or, to look at it another way, they are the workstation/server variant of the Core i7 and have been since they were last updated.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Ahh i see thanks all for the speedy replies
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Neither. The processors in the Mac Pro are not Core i, nor will they ever be. Core i is a brand name, as is Xeon, which is the brand name of the processors used in the Mac Pro.

However, both Xeon and Core i processors are based on the same microarchitecture, called Nehalem.

Click the links for more info on Core i5, Core i7, Xeon 3500 and Xeon 5500 (the latter two being the types of processor used in the Mac Pro).
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Neither. The processors in the Mac Pro are not Core i, nor will they ever be. Core i is a brand name, as is Xeon, which is the brand name of the processors used in the Mac Pro.

However, both Xeon and Core i processors are based on the same microarchitecture, called Nehalem.

Click the links for more info on Core i5, Core i7, Xeon 3500 and Xeon 5500 (the latter two being the types of processor used in the Mac Pro).

Ohh i see thanks Mr. H so the mac pro being a pro will only use xeon and imac's will use the core i name .
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Are we suppose to be guessing which chipset the next Pro will use , because i'm guessing it will be the i9
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Ohh i see thanks Mr. H so the mac pro being a pro will only use xeon and imac's will use the core i name .

It's just branding. They're basically the same processor. (OK, there are some major differences between the Xeon in the Mac Pro and the i5/i7 on the iMac, but their individual processor cores are essentially identical. They are more similar than they are different)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by puzzlehead View Post

Are we suppose to be guessing which chipset the next Pro will use , because i'm guessing it will be the i9

It'll be called Xeon, too. The desktop version will be branded something else, possibly "i9" but the server version the Mac Pro will use will be named Xeon.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It'll be called Xeon, too. The desktop version will be branded something else, possibly "i9" but the server version the Mac Pro will use will be named Xeon.

Exactly. If I was to hazard a guess, the next Mac Pros will use the Xeon 3600 and 5600 series.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Now all these rumors of a nice bump in early 2010. Guess ill hold off alittle longer\