Apple updates Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme with speed boost

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Both the AirPort Extreme wireless networking tool and Time Capsule backup appliance were given speed and performance upgrades by Apple on Tuesday.

The minor hardware updates for the AirPort Extrem and Time Capsule include a new antenna design, which offers up to 50 percent better wireless performance, along with a 25 percent improvement in range over previous models.

The hardware operates simultaneously over both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, allowing multiband devices to use the best available band. That ensures better compatibility with devices that may interfere with one another through wireless transmission.

In addition, the 1TB and 2TB Time Capsule offerings have been given a speed boost with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Apple's new operating system.

"Even better, new technologies in Time Capsule and refinements to Time Machine make backing up to Time Capsule using Snow Leopard up to 60 percent faster than before," Apple said.

In July, Apple released a new 2TB Time Capsule at a price of $499, and the 1TB option is $299. The AirPort Extreme Base Station costs $179.

This past summer, numerous users reported instances of Time Capsules allegedly dying in a spontaneous matter. Many who had issues reported purchasing the hardware in early 2008. Problems were said to lie with the device's internal power supply.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Has anyone come across any add on that tells TM to delay a back up if a user has touched the Mac within a given period of time, i.e. is actually in use?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Hahah maybe this will stop the problems (hopefilly)
  • Reply 3 of 12
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Article title is misleading. I thought it meant there was a software update that added a speed boost to my AE. Way to get my hopes up!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Hopefully they redesigned the cooling aspects as well so they no longer break.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    My timecapsule drops my apple tv all the time. This is my only gripe with apple so far.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    right before the 2TB update, and have had no issues thus far. Great device and speed. Maybe I am just lucky!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I got an AEBS just in the end of Sep. Could I possibly get a replacement with the new one. No probs for me to pay any differential amount!!! HAHAHHA... great wishes from me!!!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    They should have some kind of discount upgrade program, they allow no extended warranty support for these things and have twice upgraded it, leaving original purchasers in the dirt.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    They should offer an upgrade for the Airport Extreme. I got one in late July and the antenna sucks... well that is together with my Mac Pro - it is better on the MacBooks but I cant use the 5ghz on the Mac Pro so an better antenna would be nice (only 4 meters apart).... Im glad they updated it.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Did the model number change? If you go in to a department store how do you know you're getting the latest one?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Apple MC340LL/A AirPort Extreme Sim DualBand.

I did a search on Amazon for Airport Extreme and listed at #20 was the new one…Available for pre-order.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Unavailability is never a good thing for Apple. The day I decide I can't got another day without another external hdd, Time Capsule is no where to be found. Oh well. I really would have liked the dual band wifi and mobile me access.

But I got the same storage for less than half the price, and a more reliable product.