Inside Apple's new unibody polycarbonate MacBook (teardown photos)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Released Tuesday, Apple's refreshed MacBook has already been dissected, revealing similarities to the Macbook Pro and Air lines.

The mad geniuses over at iFixit have already thoroughly disassembled and examined the new MacBook, less than 24 hours since the product hit the Apple store.

The new model replaced the existing MacBook line, and kept the same $999 price point. The price point is one of the only aspects that has remained from the previous generation. The new MacBook instead borrows heavily from both the MacBook Pro and Air models.

Some of the major changes include:

Polycarbonate unibody construction

Display featuring LED backlighting

A multi-touch glass trackpad

Integrated battery

No more FireWire or IR port

No external battery indicator

No Mini-DVI port, replaced by a Mini DisplayPort

iFixit has highlighted several interesting aspects of the new design:

The new battery is only 5 more watt-hours than the previous version's yet it adds two hours of run time, meaning the machine is markedly more efficient

The battery is actually lighter than the older model

Unlike the earlier model, AirPort and Bluetooth share the same board, and all three antenna cables route into the display, meaning a possible improvement in Bluetooth range

The MacBook has exactly the same GPU and CPU as the baseline 13" MacBook Pro

iFixit plans on creating detailed repair guides for the MacBook in the future, updates can be monitored by following the Twitter feed @ifixit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    that is pretty impressive..
  • Reply 2 of 78
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    It actually looks like the battery, RAM and Hard Drive are technically user serviceable. Woo Hoo

Also impressive the amount of efficiency put into the machine.

On the down side, if the internals are same as the MBP13 it is sad that firewire was omitted would have been nice port for a backup drive.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Similarities? Like their FireWire and SD slot?
  • Reply 4 of 78
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    The rest of the day's annoucements look at least sort of interesting, but the new mac book fails badly. No FW?! Seriously, didn't they learn their lesson the last time they tried to remove FW?

They should have implemented FW3200 across the board in all new macs for the past year anyway. Maybe Light Peak can take it's place, but until then removing FW is just dumb. I was going to be in the market for a low end mac laptop soon, but I will most certainly not be getting one of these. Without FW3200 or some obvious way to add Light Peak in the future, I think I'll just hold out a bit longer.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    I'm so dissapointed in the omission of Firewire. I was going to get the previous model white macbook because of it's lower price and Firewire. I then heard about this upgrade so I decided to wait a few days. Now this! I don't get it..

My video camera outputs Firewire. I was so looking forward to this purchase. I use both Macs and PCs. I understood why I was going to pay a little more and was Okay with it. Now, I just don't know. I'm going to investigate my options and one thing is for certain; I'm going to wait!
  • Reply 6 of 78
    Didn't think a unibody plastic laptop was feasible, I'll have to see one in person...
  • Reply 7 of 78
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zekesax View Post

I'm so dissapointed in the omission of Firewire. I was going to get the previous model white macbook because of it's lower price and Firewire. I then heard about this upgrade so I decided to wait a few days. Now this! I don't get it..

My video camera outputs Firewire. I was so looking forward to this purchase. I use both Macs and PCs. I understood why I was going to pay a little more and was Okay with it. Now, I just don't know. I'm going to investigate my options and one thing is for certain; I'm going to wait!

Didn't Apple say something like 'Firewire is for the Pro' a while back? Anyway, I think the new MB looks pretty (except the underside), and when my MBP dies I think I would buy the new MB. I do miss a cardreader though. Every laptop has one these days, even my friend's tiny Samsung netbook!
  • Reply 8 of 78
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

The rest of the day's annoucements look at least sort of interesting, but the new mac book fails badly. No FW?! Seriously, didn't they learn their lesson the last time they tried to remove FW? ...

Your right. FireWire should be in *all* computers and it should stay in there forever regardless of whether the target market really has any FireWire devices to attach to it.

So what that pretty much all video cameras and removable hard drives are USB now? If one guy somewhere with a FireWire hard drive wants Firewire 400 ports, they should be there dammit! Because they are not making that thing for the majority, they are making it for me, and people like me who still have some FireWire devices and just don't want to switch or buy new gear.

I know that FireWire is on all the MacBook Pros, but even though I like the superiority that comes with using expensive FireWire devices, I'm cheap. I want to be able to buy the lowest-end, cheapest, entry-level MacBook and have it come with all the ports that a professional user would expect.

Apple is supposed to be building consumer products and I'm a consumer so I should always get exactly what I want. In fact if they don't give me everything I think I want, they aren't doing their job right, and it's probably evidence that the company itself is going to fail. This is because my experience is basically the yardstick by which everything must be decided.

• Reply 9 of 78
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    This Macbook occupies an entirely new price point, so the ommission of FireWire makes sense since most new consumer video cameras don't use FireWire anymore. What you get over other notbooks in this range and the previous white MacBook is improved battery life, portability, and durability. Why include FireWire if almost nobody is going to use it?
  • Reply 10 of 78
    Woah woah woah. No IR port? How am I going to use my shiny new Apple Remote with it then?
  • Reply 11 of 78
    It took them almost 10 years to finally release a laptop that doesn't require you to spend much time at replacing parts.

It's been this slow incremental movement to a position they could have started with back in 1998.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    Hahah trust ifixit to do one of these within hours of it comin out
  • Reply 13 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sililarities? Like their FireWire and SD slot?

You know my beliefs about FW. Gone tomorrow, but I still think they've jumped the gun. End of next year, ok.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

The rest of the day's annoucements look at least sort of interesting, but the new mac book fails badly. No FW?! Seriously, didn't they learn their lesson the last time they tried to remove FW?

They should have implemented FW3200 across the board in all new macs for the past year anyway. Maybe Light Peak can take it's place, but until then removing FW is just dumb. I was going to be in the market for a low end mac laptop soon, but I will most certainly not be getting one of these. Without FW3200 or some obvious way to add Light Peak in the future, I think I'll just hold out a bit longer.

How could they implement something that isn't available yet?

FW 3200 will become available sometime in 2010. When in 2010, who knows?

You should at least read up on this stuff first.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarleypeople View Post

Woah woah woah. No IR port? How am I going to use my shiny new Apple Remote with it then?

Bluetooth?
  • Reply 16 of 78
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Apple is supposed to be building consumer products and I'm a consumer so I should always get exactly what I want.

That made me LOL!
  • Reply 17 of 78
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Very clean looking design.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    With such small main board Apple should make a pocketable Mac with video-out and USB2 ports. The ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation (pocketable) tool. Take away the superdrive and even the hard drive. Use flash memory insted. We need thousands for our University. 400 g or so. Because even the MacBook Air is too heavy and too large.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    I think Apple are making the right compromises here. A bit of glass and an aluminium block on its own is not going to make a 13" MacBook significantly cheaper than a 13" MBP.

For consumers like my sister (already has an old white MacBook), my wife (has a Vaio CR that's very similar to a MacBook -- hates it and wishes she had a Mac now), and my friend Jules (old PC broke, is looking to get a new laptop for web/email/photos/iPod sync), this seems perfect.

They're not interested in Firewire -- I doubt they've even heard of it. They want a small, light, good looking, well built laptop with a good screen, and a good battery life. And that's very easy to use, and doesn't require constant fettling. A card reader might be useful, but on the basis they've all got various Sony cameras, an SD slot is pretty useless! They want a good quality laptop that will last, so are willing to spend a bit extra to get it.

Me? Well, I want Firewire (although I found it very hard recently to buy a portable Firewire HD -- I could only find one at a large online electronics retailer. It was a special Iomega Mac model, with FW400, FW800, and USB -- so it'll still work in a new MacBook) to use for video storage and editing of the HD video from the Lumix GH1 I have on order (and an SD slot would be useful -- shame my MBP is too old). But then, I'm a bit of a geek, not a mid-level consumer.

So, before you decry the lack of features that you want, try and think what the vast majority of consumers actually want. And if you do really need that Firewire port, stop buying lattes for a month, and save up the extra cash for a Pro.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    no infrared port!? no battery strength indicator? no firewire port? not good ;-(

and why is the board inside so dark? weird!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgril_j5EIc