Mac OS X 10.6.2 to have native support for Apple's Magic Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Native support for Apple's new multi-touch Magic Mouse will require the unreleased Mac OS X 10.6.2 or later, the new hardware's user manual states.

Apple's new mouse works with both hardware and software to sense finger position, gestures with fingers, momentum of movements, and more. According to the Magic Mouse manual, the hardware will require Mac OS X 10.6.2 or later. Those on Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later can install the Wireless Mouse Software update 1.0 to obtain the same features.

The new Magic Mouse, when purchased separately, has a wait time of 5 to 7 business days. That would imply that the release of Mac OS X 10.6.2, the latest build of Snow Leopard, could be released very soon.

Over the past few weeks, three betas of Mac OS X 10.6.2 have been sent to developers. The most recent build addressed a glitch that sometimes deleted user data when logging in and out of a guest account.

The latest build also fixed a number of GraphicsDrivers issues, including a problem where 1080p content played with QuickTime Player X could stutter. That could prove important for owners of the new iMac models, which have 16:9 aspect ratio displays. The new 21.5-inch iMac has a 1920-by-1080 native 1080p display, while the 27-inch iMac exceeds that with a 2560-by-1440 pixel LED-backlit screen.

The Magic Mouse manual explains how to understand the hardware's indicator light, pairing of the bluetooth device with a new Mac, replacing the batteries, cleaning, and use of the mouse.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    So... anyone who has one of the new iMacs - are they 10.6.2?
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

So... anyone who has one of the new iMacs - are they 10.6.2?

It'll be a special build of 10.6.1
  • Reply 3 of 35
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Anyone taking note of the fact Apple mentions a patch for 10.5.8+ and I suggest that might tide people over for 10.6.0 and 10.6.1.

Jumping to conclusions without considering all possibilities is shortsided - next time read the article, AppleInsider, and stop just picking parts and exaggerating and presenting "possibilities" that have no basis in the "supporting" documentation.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    w00tw00t now as long as it is released soon then i'm fine. to be honest im surprised a dev hasnt noticed all the references.....
  • Reply 5 of 35
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    So I wonder how one installs 10.6 from the retail DVD with the new mouse on an older system, like an older iMac... I suppose you'll still need to hang onto your old mouse if this is your situation.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jukes View Post

So I wonder how one installs 10.6 from the retail DVD with the new mouse on an older system, like an older iMac... I suppose you'll still need to hang onto your old mouse if this is your situation.

My guess is that it still works like a very basic mouse without the special software and/or drivers.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

My guess is that it still works like a very basic mouse without the special software and/or drivers.

Bingo.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

It'll be a special build of 10.6.1

That's not how it works..... It will be in a 10.6.2 update that's pushed to everyone.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    I think I need to see tests on it before I commit.

I know there's gonna be bragging rights on the office to collect for the first person who has it, but still.

• Reply 10 of 35
    $69..... for a mouse? I'll pass and invest my hard-earned money in something that will offer a much more cost-effective return. How can they be serious about that price tag? That's absurd.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jdanek630 View Post

$69..... for a mouse? I'll pass and invest my hard-earned money in something that will offer a much more cost-effective return. How can they be serious about that price tag? That's absurd.

Certainly not inexpensive. But then again, do you know of any other mouse where the entire surface is multi-touch?
  • Reply 12 of 35
    fstopfstop Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jdanek630 View Post

Absolutely! Why would anyone pay so much for something used so infrequently?
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fstop View Post

Absolutely! Why would anyone pay so much for something used so infrequently?

$69 is far above the equilibrium of the market value for a multi-featured mouse. That's my complaint. I never said I did not use my mouse frequently. Many mice are sold for $10-$15, though I paid $30 for mine for the wireless, 3-button features, and stylish design. I would never pay more than double for seemingly something that is not worth double. That's just my opinion, I respect yours.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I doubt I'll be buying this mouse but I like the fact that it will push out 10.6.2.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    I'll definitely be buying one when they're readily available. I paid ~$45 (with my corporate discount) for the wired Mighty Mouse and love it. The 360º scrolling is brilliant. However, with the mouse now a year or two old, the ball is becoming problematic and needs a lot of regular cleaning. I think getting used to tactile-less clicking will take some time, but I love the idea of having a virtual scroll wheel. Not sure how useful the multi-touch will be. I'll miss the side-buttons a little, but definitely hope there's a way to emulate the center-click as I use that a lot to open up my application windows.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

definitely hope there's a way to emulate the center-click as I use that a lot to open up my application windows.

+1, I use middle click to paste inside terminal windows all day long. I'll still probably get one for my wife, but no chance I'll jump without middle click.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Gizmodo just posted a review of the Magic Mouse:

http://gizmodo.com/5386202/apple-magic-mouse-review

Which brings me to this question... why do sites like Gizmodo and Engadget get to review stuff and have hands-on stuff with Apple stuff before Mac-centric sites like Apple Insider or Mac Rumors? It just boggles my mind that Apple doesn't reach out more to dedicated Mac sites.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Llama View Post

+1, I use middle click to paste inside terminal windows all day long. I'll still probably get one for my wife, but no chance I'll jump without middle click.

I've gotten used to V for pasting in terminal. Without a three-button mouse that gives me copy and paste options inside terminal (like a proper xterm), I don't mind the keyboard shortcuts. But it's definitely hard to adjust your workflow once you've gotten used to this sort of thing.

I suppose I'll get used to F10 on my desktop, or I'll set up expose corners like I have on my MBP... Anything to keep from twice-weekly ball cleanings!
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Which brings me to this question... why do sites like Gizmodo and Engadget get to review stuff and have hands-on stuff with Apple stuff before Mac-centric sites like Apple Insider or Mac Rumors? It just boggles my mind that Apple doesn't reach out more to dedicated Mac sites.

Possibly because those of us who frequent sites like AI are already likely to buy things like this. Readers of non-Apple specific sites may need more prodding
  • Reply 20 of 35
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Possibly because those of us who frequent sites like AI are already likely to buy things like this. Readers of non-Apple specific sites may need more prodding

Even if they are likely to buy the stuff anyway, providing review samples to these sites still gives great exposure and helps push users to buy that otherwise may have been on the fence.

Surely Apple doesn't think we're mindless idiots that will buy anything...