New Apple Wireless Keyboard requires one less battery

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Among all of the new hardware debuts Tuesday, Apple also quietly updated its wireless keyboard with a more energy-efficient model. The latest iteration of the Bluetooth Apple Wireless Keyboard requires two AA batteries, down one from the previous model.

"And its intelligent power management system conserves battery life," Apple said. "So when you’re not using it, the keyboard automatically powers down. The instant you start typing, your keyboard turns on."

The new hardware requires a Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer, Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later with the Aluminum Keyboard Software Update 2.0, and an existing keyboard and mouse for initial setup. It comes with two AA batteries and costs $69.

The new keyboard was first revealed in filings with the Federal Communications Commission earlier this month. It was approved at the same time as Apple's new Magic Mouse.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I think I'm ready to go wireless.

Glad the battery usage was reduced by a third. I don't know how long it'll take to get comfy with the lack of a keypad on the right. Maybe it'll improve my typing.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    What's I'm still waiting for is a full size bluetooth keyboard.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

What's I'm still waiting for is a full size bluetooth keyboard.

You and me both. I can't code on that tiny thing. Fullsize keyboard - in models both offering and not offering a numeric pad - would be key.

I actually bought an Apple Wireless Keyboard. I was really excited by it. But my hands felt too cramped.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Ahh.. the only place where the change from 3 AA to 2 AA batteries is newsworthy. We are all truly addicts.