Burger King sells Windows 7 Whoppers as Microsoft begins Guru training

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In concert with Thursday's release of Windows 7, Burger King in Japan has begun selling a Whopper with seven patties of meat; and a Microsoft Store "Guru" has been spotted in person.

Windows 7 Whopper

In yet another bizarre bit of promotion, Burger King in Japan is selling a seven-pattied Whopper hamburger to commemorate the launch of Windows 7, Microsoft's new operating system. As first reported by Electronista, the new burger measures 5.1 inches tall and costs 777 yen, or $8.53 U.S.

Microsoft has embraced some alternative manners to promote the launch of Windows 7 operating system, including the widely ridiculed Tupperware-like house party. The launch party promotion included the distribution of party packs, and a video demonstration that showed participants how to host a successful get-together.

Microsoft has also paid for a Windows 7-centric special episode of the Fox animated comedy "Family Guy." Entitled "Family Guy Presents: Seth & Alex's Almost Live Comedy Show," it will air commercial-free on Sunday, Nov. 8 at 8:30 p.m. EST and PST.

Overseas, Microsoft has enacted a number of promotions related to the number seven, including a free giveaway of the operating system to residents of the Dutch village Zevenhuizen, which translates to "Seven Houses." Apple's rival to the north also reportedly decorated parts of the Spanish village Sietes, which translates to "Sevens."

Thursday's launch of Windows 7 also marked the opening of the first Microsoft retail store in Scottsdale, Ariz. Microsoft plans to open a number of retail locations to compete with Apple. The brick-and-mortar stores will sell Microsoft software and first-party hardware, such as Zunes and Xbox 360 consoles.

Microsoft also intends to mimic Apple's Genius Bars with its own Guru Bars. At a recent Windows 7 training seminar, one AppleInsider reader spotted a Windows Guru in his outfit. The person in attendance was reportedly believed to be a contracted agent who does not work for Microsoft directly.

The Windows 7 training session gave people the opportunity to go hands-on with the new operating system. Microsoft provided customers with demo books that people could use to show customers different features.

The seminar also portrayed the PC as a superior platform to the Mac, noting that 32 of the top 100 programs for users are available for the Mac.

"The Guru was really just there to help out if we had questions," the attendee said. "He made no special presentation and from listening to him as he walked around, he really didn't sound all that knowledgeable about Windows 7. I would liken him more to a Geek Squad Agent at Best Buy than an Apple Genius."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    "Windows 7. Preview your indigestion here!"
  • Reply 2 of 72
    That's such a bad symbolism. Eat it and throw up?
  • Reply 3 of 72
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    YEEKS, Ballmer on the Today Show this morning and now this. Who let him out of his cage?
  • Reply 4 of 72
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I would liken him more to a Geek Squad Agent at Best Buy than an Apple Genius."

Thats funny.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    Burger King, Whopper, ... Really fits MS' classy image.

C-students and mediocrity rule the world ! \
  • Reply 6 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

Burger King, Whopper, ... Really fits MS' classy image.

C-students and mediocrity rule the world ! \

And Ballmer's waistline. He needs to view the AI flash ads for Hollywood abs.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And Ballmer's waistline. He needs to view the AI flash ads for Hollywood abs.

There are ads on AI?
  • Reply 8 of 72
    This marketing blitz is repulsive. Oh well, as long as it puts money in SOMEONE's pocket.

• Reply 9 of 72
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Training for Windows Gurus, ha! What a joke. How much training do you need to say "that's a hardware issue, you need to talk to your PC manufacturer"? Four times in my whole life I've called Microsoft tech support and that's all they ended up saying. Fooled me four times, shame on me.

By the way, they turned out not to be hardware issues. The techies were just numbskulls.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    There's some definite visual correlations between that burger and software bloat. I'm sure eating that would make me feel about as good as I do when I use Windows. Yeesh.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    Burger King and Microsoft... Both will give you intestinal cramps and severe diarrhea. Yay!
  • Reply 12 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    MS lost the Premium market big-time.

This isn't the way to get it back. Sad.

This Windows 7 advertising is all over the map - Family Guy, burgers, vague commercials, you name it. Says a great deal about the software, though. And it's not all good.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

In concert with Thursday's release of Windows 7, Burger King in Japan has begun selling a Whopper with seven patties of meat

So what did they do when Windows 95 was released?
  • Reply 14 of 72
    Ballroom computer presentations - people still do that? Having taught MCT courses in the 90s that last photo gave me shivers.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

YEEKS, Ballmer on the Today Show this morning and now this. Who let him out of his cage?

Notice that most of the demonstration phase of the interview was spent looking at hardware, including a Dell notebook that looked like a MacBook Air though wider in the hips and a significant part of the discussion involved Apple.

At least no one could accuse AI of orchestrating the interview (could they?)!
  • Reply 16 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    My turn for a cheap shot lol ... I guess this shows where they think their base hangs out!
  • Reply 17 of 72
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    That whopper is ridiculous, is it Japan only?
  • Reply 18 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There are ads on AI?

Yes, you're missing out on so much with your limited Click2Flash. Too bad.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

That whopper is ridiculous, is it Japan only?

What does the Japanese hot dog champion have to say about this? besides Barf?
  • Reply 20 of 72
    Family Guy as advertainment?!?!?!

Has Seth MacFarlane sold himself to the lowest denominator? Brian and Stewie would have had choice things to say about this, but now I'm sure their tongues will be tied.