HDTV as monitor - revisited

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This afternoon, I went to a "Grand Opening???" of a new CompUSA store in my neighborhood. I was looking at 24" + monitors to connect to a new Mini when a store manager directed me away from the monitors and to (he said) HDTV/monitors. The one he was hyped up on was:

Sony KDL32S5100 BRAVIA 32" LCD HDTV - 1080p, 1920x1080, 30000:1 Dynamic, 16:9, 8bit :

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...514&CatId=3649

Marvin, in a previous thread (that I can't locate), you explained why it wasn't a good idea to use an HDTV as a monitor. Please refresh my memory.

The Sony he showed me was connected to a computer and it looked good. He had me convinced until I remembered that you had given negative reasons.

The $599 ($629 w/ BluRay player) price sounded a lot better than the Apple 30" ACD's price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Sony KDL32S5100 BRAVIA 32" LCD HDTV - 1080p, 1920x1080, 30000:1 Dynamic, 16:9, 8bit :

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...514&CatId=3649

Marvin, in a previous thread (that I can't locate), you explained why it wasn't a good idea to use an HDTV as a monitor. Please refresh my memory.

The Sony he showed me was connected to a computer and it looked good. He had me convinced until I remembered that you had given negative reasons.

TVs aren't always recognized correctly by the Mac and sometimes HDTVs limit the resolution you can get over the PC input. Some TVs will only allow you to get 1024 x 768 and it squashes the image. I would say that if you were to get an HDTV, the Sony Bravia would be one of the best for quality and it seems to work with the Mac in Leopard as noted here but the display doesn't appear to be recognized properly in Snow Leopard:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...v-drivers.html

If you want to sit far back from the screen, this kind of display is good. For desktop work, I'd go for a standard computer display and you will be assured that an OS update won't affect functionality.

Quote:

The $599 ($629 w/ BluRay player) price sounded a lot better than the Apple 30" ACD's price.

You can get an even cheaper Blu-Ray player like the $299 Playstation 3 and hook it into the HDMI port of a Dell 2408WFP ($549) or that 32" HDTV.

The 30" Dell and HP IPS screens are about $1200. So you are looking at $1499. The Bravia + Blu-Ray offered in store would be $1228.

If you have a Mac Mini with 10.5 Leopard on it and don't mind not upgrading to 10.6 for now, I'd say go for the Bravia HDTV and get a PS3 for playing Blu-Ray. This way your cost is under $900 and you can invite your friends or relatives to get in on some racing games etc.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can get an even cheaper Blu-Ray player like the $299 Playstation 3 and hook it into the HDMI port of a Dell 2408WFP ($549) or that 32" HDTV.

The 30" Dell and HP IPS screens are about $1200. So you are looking at $1499. The Bravia + Blu-Ray offered in store would be $1228.

Thanks for the info, Marvin: however, I wasn't clear when I quoted the price: $599 ($629 w/BluRay player). The Sony Bravia 32" is $599 and with the BluRay player, CompUSA has them bundled on sale: total $629.

You're right. Too many unknowns. I probably would regret choosing the Bravia for a monitor. As usual, I can count on you to set me straight.

I also looked at a Samsung 46" LED 120Hz HDTV that I'd love to have in my den. I was blown away by the picture. The manager told me they may be getting some with 240Hz.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Thanks for the info, Marvin: however, I wasn't clear when I quoted the price: $599 ($629 w/BluRay player). The Sony Bravia 32" is $599 and with the BluRay player, CompUSA has them bundled on sale: total $629.

You're right. Too many unknowns. I probably would regret choosing the Bravia for a monitor. As usual, I can count on you to set me straight.

Ah yeah, I picked up the price wrong. That would be silly to offer a Blu-Ray player more expensive than the TV. That price seems pretty good at $629 and it's been confirmed to work with a 10.5 Mac Mini. Sony Bravias have very good picture quality.

The thing to remember is how you want to use it. It will make for a great TV but I don't think I'd want to use it as a monitor. It would look like this:

http://lifehacker.com/158677/getting...-your-mac-mini

You'd have to drop the resolution on the Mini way down (which may make it blurry) to see what's going on or keep moving close to the TV.

Quote:

I also looked at a Samsung 46" LED 120Hz HDTV that I'd love to have in my den. I was blown away by the picture. The manager told me they may be getting some with 240Hz.

Sounds like a nice display. If you are set on the Mac Mini media center setup, you could perhaps take the Mini in with you to see which displays it works best with. If the store thought you were going to get one, they'd probably let you test it before buying.

If you plan on running your G4 tower to it, check that the GPU is powerful enough to handle a 1080p output. I think the Mini would be a better idea.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

TVs aren't always recognized correctly by the Mac and sometimes HDTVs limit the resolution you can get over the PC input. Some TVs will only allow you to get 1024 x 768 and it squashes the image. I would say that if you were to get an HDTV, the Sony Bravia would be one of the best for quality and it seems to work with the Mac in Leopard as noted here but the display doesn't appear to be recognized properly in Snow Leopard:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...v-drivers.html

Answer: use mDP to HDMI and not VGA. Dunno why'd you'd want to use VGA.

Quote:

If you want to sit far back from the screen, this kind of display is good. For desktop work, I'd go for a standard computer display and you will be assured that an OS update won't affect functionality.

I sit about as far from my 32" HDTV as I do from my 30" ACD. About 2-3 feet (whatever the depth of my desk is). Resolution is lower but the text is clear and without much pixel structure. It might slightly lower resolution than my 24" but it looks much nicer when I play videos.

Quote:

If you need IPS quality then don't get a HDTV. On the other hand I paid under $500 for my 34" LG which is cheaper than even the 27" Dell. Heck, it was cheaper than the 24" UltraSharp.

The thing to watch out for in using HDTV for monitors is lag. This applies to both computers and game consoles. My LG has very low latency and many new HDTVs have a computer/console mode that pretty much eliminates all processing and turns off 120Hz mode.

This HDTV however seems to have audio problems. I would pass.

I bought mine based on this AVSForum thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1132241

Looks like LG moved to a cheaper non S-IPS panel....shame.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

like a nice display. If you are set on the Mac Mini media center setup, you could perhaps take the Mini in with you to see which displays it works best with. If the store thought you were going to get one, they'd probably let you test it before buying.

I've already rejected the idea of an HDTV as monitor. Your last post convinced me that I'm not savvy enough to want to grapple with the set up.

Quote:

If you plan on running your G4 tower to it, check that the GPU is powerful enough to handle a 1080p output. I think the Mini would be a better idea.

I have finally decided to put the G4 out to pasture. I like the case, so I'll use it for a stand for the Mini if I can rig that. Further, I've been considering buying one of the new Minis, too. One for desk top computing; One connected to that 46" Samsung I'm dreaming about. All I need now is to learn how to use it as a quasi-ATV.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Answer: use mDP to HDMI and not VGA. Dunno why'd you'd want to use VGA.

I sit about as far from my 32" HDTV as I do from my 30" ACD. About 2-3 feet (whatever the depth of my desk is). Resolution is lower but the text is clear and without much pixel structure. It might slightly lower resolution than my 24" but it looks much nicer when I play videos.

If you need IPS quality then don't get a HDTV. On the other hand I paid under $500 for my 34" LG which is cheaper than even the 27" Dell. Heck, it was cheaper than the 24" UltraSharp.

The thing to watch out for in using HDTV for monitors is lag. This applies to both computers and game consoles. My LG has very low latency and many new HDTVs have a computer/console mode that pretty much eliminates all processing and turns off 120Hz mode.

This HDTV however seems to have audio problems. I would pass.

I bought mine based on this AVSForum thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1132241

Looks like LG moved to a cheaper non S-IPS panel....shame.

After reading your post, I don't feel like an idiot for thinking about using an HDTV for a monitor, but I think I'll stick to an actual monitor.

I've said this many times before, but I don't know what I'd do without AI. You guys are a lot better than Apple service, and that service is highly touted. You give me new perspectives on computing - and my own problems - that Apple service doesn't do.

Thanks, Vinea.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

After reading your post, I don't feel like an idiot for thinking about using an HDTV for a monitor, but I think I'll stick to an actual monitor.

I've said this many times before, but I don't know what I'd do without AI. You guys are a lot better than Apple service, and that service is highly touted. You give me new perspectives on computing - and my own problems - that Apple service doesn't do.

Thanks, Vinea.

Yep. It depends on what you want to do with it. For me, I run eclipse and build 3D apps so my needs aren't much different than a gamer with a console as long as the text is clear. Which fortunately for me it is. Plus I have a couple extra HDMI ports for a console and cable box.

It takes a bit of research and the willingness to take a TV back and pay the restock fee if it doesn't pan out.

If you want a regular monitor for cheap I'd keep trying the Dell refurb site but they haven't had any 27" or 30" displays any time I've checked in a while.