Study suggests $600 mass-market sweet spot for Apple tablet

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
While most Mac users would have no problem paying more than $600 for Apple's long-rumored tablet, most PC users would not consider hardware above that price, a new study suggests.

In a survey of 753 customers, Retrevo.com found that 64 percent of PC users accustomed to low-cost machines would only buy the Apple tablet if it costs less than $600. But 27 percent of Mac users would pay between $600 and $800, and 41 percent said they would spend more than $800 on the still-unseen hardware.

In conclusions drawn from the Gadgetology survey, the company said that the iPhone has found success by appealing to users beyond the Mac market, and the tablet must do the same. The study also assumed that those considering the pruchase of a netbook would be most interested in the touchscreen device.

"Apple had better hurry up if they want to capture any of the netbook market because many consumers, both Mac and PC owners, have already bought a netbook and many more plan on buying one soon," the study said.

The survey found that 37 percent of Mac users plan to buy a netbook within the next year, and 36 percent of PC users plan to do the same. Among iPhone users, 40 percent said they were eyeing a netbook purchase. A study from the company in August found that school shoppers chose netbooks over Macs.

In other Apple tablet news, Bill Keller, executive editor of The New York Times, referenced Apple's forthcoming touchscreen device in a presentation to the newspaper's digital staff. Keller said that print publications would need to embrace new hardware, like the "impending Apple slate," if they want to succeed. His comment, in full, was as follows:

"We need to figure out the right journalistic product to deliver to mobile platforms and devices. I'm hoping we can get the newsroom more actively involved in the challenge of delivering our best journalism in the form of Times Reader, iPhone apps, WAP, or the impending Apple slate, or whatever comes after that."

Apple's tablet device is expected to arrive in the first quarter of 2010 with a 10-inch screen and 3G connectivity. Recent rumors have pegged the multifunction device as a potential e-reader, and officials with The New York Times and other publications are alleged to have had discussions with Apple about making their content available for the hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While most Mac users would have no problem paying more than $600 for Apple's long-rumored tablet, most PC users would not consider hardware above that price, a new study suggests.

In a survey of 753 customers, Retrevo.com found that 64 percent of PC users accustomed to low-cost machines would only buy the Apple tablet if it costs less than $600. But 27 percent of Mac users would pay between $600 and $800, and 41 percent said they would spend more than $800 on the still-unseen hardware.

In conclusions drawn from the Gadgetology survey, the company said that the iPhone has found success by appealing to users beyond the Mac market, and the tablet must do the same. The study also assumed that those considering the pruchase of a netbook would be most interested in the touchscreen device.

"Apple had better hurry up if they want to capture any of the netbook market because many consumers, both Mac and PC owners, have already bought a netbook and many more plan on buying one soon," the study said.

The survey found that 37 percent of Mac users plan to buy a netbook within the next year, and 36 percent of PC users plan to do the same. Among iPhone users, 40 percent said they were eyeing a netbook purchase. A study from the company in August found that school shoppers chose netbooks over Macs.

In other Apple tablet news, Bill Keller, executive editor of The New York Times, referenced Apple's forthcoming touchscreen device in a presentation to the newspaper's digital staff. Keller said that print publications would need to embrace new hardware, like the "impending Apple slate," if they want to succeed. His comment, in full, was as follows:

"We need to figure out the right journalistic product to deliver to mobile platforms and devices. I'm hoping we can get the newsroom more actively involved in the challenge of delivering our best journalism in the form of Times Reader, iPhone apps, WAP, or the impending Apple slate, or whatever comes after that."

Apple's tablet device is expected to arrive in the first quarter of 2010 with a 10-inch screen and 3G connectivity. Recent rumors have pegged the multifunction device as a potential e-reader, and officials with The New York Times and other publications are alleged to have had discussions with Apple about making their content available for the hardware.

First

This is deja vu from pre-iPHone hype. This bodes well for the iTablet and Apple will sell millions next year.
  • Reply 2 of 127
    to get an iphone 3Gs, it would cost me $799 Canadian dollars plus taxes since I had signed a three contract a month before the release of the original iPhone. Now, for the apple tablet to cost between 700 to 800 US dollars, that's approximately $200 more than the iPhone

hmmmm .... I am looking forward to seeing the price and the features of the apple's new touch screen device
  • Reply 3 of 127
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'd love a tablet just to have the latest and greatest. But I already have an iPhone and a MBP so I don't know that I really need one. That would be a bit much even for me. I'm afraid I would be lugging around all three devices.
  • Reply 4 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g5man View Post

First

This is deja vu from pre-iPHone hype. This bodes well for the iTablet and Apple will sell millions next year.

Next time you rush to be first try not repeating the entire article please
  • Reply 5 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'd love a tablet just to have the latest and greatest. But I already have an iPhone and a MBP so I don't know that I really need one. That would be a bit much even for me. I'm afraid I would be lugging around all three devices.

You need one because it helps my AAPL stock, in fact you need several ...
  • Reply 6 of 127
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    A survey on price before the device is actually seen is meaningless. Self-justifying noise and nonsense.

I'm betting it's more that $800 on release.
  • Reply 7 of 127
    $600 for the new 17" iPhone? Count me in!
  • Reply 8 of 127
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Anywhere up to $899 is fine by me. Looking forward to the tablet

Actually, even if it goes beyond $999 I'll buy, but it has to be really good.
  • Reply 9 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Anywhere up to $899 is fine by me. Looking forward to the tablet

You better hope it isn't $900.
  • Reply 10 of 127
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    The idea of polling people about how much they'd pay for a device of completely unknown capabilities and uncertain existence is simply ridiculous. Attempting to analyze the results of such a poll is doubly ridiculous.
  • Reply 11 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

The idea of polling people about how much they'd pay for a device of completely unknown capabilities and uncertain existence is simply ridiculous. Attempting to analyze the results of such a poll is doubly ridiculous.

How about analyzing the analysis of such a ridiculous poll. Does that make you triply ridiculous?

Our doubly doubly ridiculous (quadruply ridiculous)?
  • Reply 12 of 127
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    Apple ALWAYS releases hardware HIGHER than the prevailing rumors. I remember when the Mac128 was rumored to be $999 to compete with the IBM Peanut, and then arrived at $2495!

Personally, I would be happier with a 10" MacBook AIR, or just an EXTERNAL BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD for the iPhone!
  • Reply 13 of 127
    What a pointless study. Asking people how much they'd pay for a product that doesn't exist, and nobody has any idea what it will look like, what it can do, or how it does it, is utterly ridiculous. Apple should ignore this study, and I'm sure they will.
  • Reply 14 of 127
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    We don't even know what an Apple tablet will be capable of, of how big it will be so the $600 sweet spot could be off a bit from the actual one. Although given the rumored capabilities and size, I think it might not be that far off. Can Apple sell a tablet at that price, with a desirable profit? I doubt it. Perhaps $600 subsidized wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities though. From my experience, most people don't really care about signing a contract and only look at the initial purchase price so I think this studies $600 sweet spot would be approximately the same as the sweet spot for a subsidized tablet, although I wish the study had looked into that possibility as well.
  • Reply 15 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

Apple ALWAYS releases hardware HIGHER than the prevailing rumors. I remember when the Mac128 was rumored to be $999 to compete with the IBM Peanut, and then arrived at $2495!

Personally, I would be happier with a 10" MacBook AIR, or just an EXTERNAL BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD for the iPhone!

I'd love to carry around a bluetooth keyboard in my pocket to make using my iPhone easier and more convenient. I'll call Jobs immediately and have him hire you to join the apple think tank. But don't stop with the keyboard. How about a single button bluetooth mouse for your iPod?? And a bluetooth external screen??? And a bluetooth Bluray Drive????
  • Reply 16 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You need one because it helps my AAPL stock, in fact you need several ...

The way AAPL has been doing lately, I think I can buy several.....
  • Reply 17 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

What a pointless study. Asking people how much they'd pay for a product that doesn't exist, and nobody has any idea what it will look like, what it can do, or how it does it, is utterly ridiculous. Apple should ignore this study, and I'm sure they will.

But who will ignore you?
  • Reply 18 of 127
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    An Apple tablet has to offer something more than what the iPhone and even the Kindle offer. It has to have a long lasting battery and the display must be suitable to long reading as well as suitable for video.

The challenge in the hardware will be the display tech. LCD with backlit LED is great but has limitations due to the battery life. Would OLED save power? Another alternative tech would be the QCOM MEM tech that is low power.

The software is an issue, but with they could modify and soup up the iPhone software and even add multitasking. Most important would be content... would Apple extend iTunes to include textbooks, newspapers, magazines, etc?

Anyway, now that Kindle is rocking, I can not see SJ standing still on this product class.
  • Reply 19 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    History suggest studies are way off when it comes to Apple. The tablet will be around $1,000 I'd say. If it's the type of tablet I want that is.
  • Reply 20 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I think that people are hyperventilating over an innocuous comment by this guy born of what is, by now, common (albeit rumor-based) knowledge.

One thing to note, however: AI was the first to predict this as an early 2010 release, a position from which it has not budged. (Does anyone recall which site/publication was the first to predict Apple's introduction of a tablet?)