What to buy, dual core or quad?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm wondering what's the better to buy, the Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8GHz and the 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processors if I want to make the most out of software like Logic Pro, Ableton?

Obviously the quad core is better, but is there a big difference in performance, and can I really utilize the quad core with Logic?!

Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NitroDublin View Post

I'm wondering what's the better to buy, the Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8GHz and the 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processors if I want to make the most out of software like Logic Pro, Ableton?

Obviously the quad core is better, but is there a big difference in performance, and can I really utilize the quad core with Logic?!

Cheers!

Logic Pro does well with Quad Core processors and it will only get better.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NitroDublin View Post

Cheers!

Go the Core i5. Even in dual-threaded programs it mostly beats out even higher-clocked Core 2 Duos.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    If you run sustained load processing, like with video rendering, or with larger and large batches of photos – i.o.w. in a production environment, I would prefer as many cores as possible, even if at lower Ghz. If you, however, need peak load processing (once in a while a spike) I would prefer CPUs with the highest Ghz rating (like the new i7 iMac's 3,46Ghz turbo boost feature), even if they have less cores (quad vs. octo).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buffyscrubs View Post

will simply say the wire dvd is the best show ever on TV. I have watched all the HBO shows for at least one season and they all pale in compairison. From the 1st to last episode the Wire delivers. This is not simply a cop show. It is a the wire dvd about an American city. This show IS Baltimore. It dives into topics such as homelessness, politics, intercity schools, family values, broken familys, drug abuse, drug recovery, police investigations, police curruption, and many more topics. This is simply a MUST-SEE show. It is not for everyone as it is extremly real and indepth. If you want a easy watching, simple minded showthe wire dvd box setis not for you.

I will simply say you're a sorry åsshole.