Web Site Design

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'd like to gather opinions of web site designers with a traditional print design background...

What do you see as the best software for a beginner to craft a web site that would compare favorably with the templates you'd find at WordPress or Squarespace?

I find iWeb clunky, limiting and the designs slow to load. I'm looking for greater customization for a web site that will be photo heavy and text light, and I just haven't found any templates worth a dollar, other than those offered by hosting services such as Squarespace.

Any help out there... seriously?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I haven't updated my homepage in ages, but am looking at SiteGrinder for the next major overhaul: chops up Photoshop pages.

http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder/
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I should also add that I'd like to avoid any Flash web solutions... mainly because they won't work on iPhone OS. And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I was happy with GoLive, but purchased Dreamweaver because GL has no future.

I've tried starting over with DW several times, but can't get past the interface's front door.

Seems to be built for coders.

I would recommend Freeway Pro, which is probably the best option left for print designers on the Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What do you see as the best software for a beginner to craft a web site that would compare favorably with the templates you'd find at WordPress or Squarespace?

Take a look at RapidWeaver
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I'm downloading both Freeway Pro and RapidWeaver. Thanks, Frank and Piot. If there are any more software recommendations that you believe answers my requirements, please don't hesitate to give me your recommendations.