VMware releases Fusion 3 for Mac with full Windows 7 support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
VMware on Tuesday released its latest virtualization software, Fusion 3, offering Snow Leopard optimization and full support for Windows 7, including Aero.

The new version of VMware Fusion 3 offers more than 50 new features, including greater support for graphics-intensive games in Windows. It is available for $79.99, or at an upgrade price of $39.99 for existing users.

The virtual machine software allows Macs with Intel processors to run the Windows operating system simultaneously within Mac OS X.

Features highlighted by VMware include:

Optimized for Snow Leopard. VMware Fusion 3 leverages Mac OS X Snow Leopard?s advanced architecture with a new 64-bit core engine and native support for the 64-bit kernel to deliver an even better Windows on Mac experience.

CPU usage running Windows Live Writer on Windows 7 x64

Ultimate Windows 7 Experience. VMware Fusion 3 is the FIRST virtualization product for the Mac to provide the full Windows 7 experience, side-by-side with your Mac, complete with Windows Aero and Flip 3D. Run 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7 -- it is your choice.

Only VMware Fusion 3 Supports Windows Aero with Flip 3D

Switching Made Easy. VMware Fusion 3 makes it easy for users to bring their entire PC to their Mac in a few easy steps ?- wirelessly or with a simple Ethernet cable -? allowing customers to protect investments in existing Windows software, and to keep using the programs they still need all for the same low price.

Leverage Apple?s Bonjour for the most Mac like way to migrate your PC to the Mac

Best-in-Class 3D Graphics. VMware was the first to provide virtual 3D graphics and is the first to support Windows Aero in a virtual machine on the Mac. VMware Fusion 3 is also first to support DirectX 9 Shader Model 3.0 3D graphics and now adds support for OpenGL 2.1 for Windows virtual machines to enable more Windows applications and games.

Run Windows Apps, The Mac Way. VMware Fusion has been designed from the beginning to make it easy to run Windows apps like Mac apps. VMware Fusion 3 makes it even better with the "Always On" Applications Menu that banishes the Windows Start menu from your Mac and let?s you find and launch Windows apps like Mac apps, even when VMware Fusion is not running. Cycle through open Windows apps with " command ' ", quit individual Windows applications with "command q", and use Dock Exposé with Windows apps.

Kick the Windows Start Menu to the curb with the new "Always On" Application Menu

Maximum Performance. Finely Tuned. Building on the proven reliability and performance of VMware Fusion 2, the new 64-bit native core engine and 4-way multi-core SMP make VMware Fusion 3 perform even better. In addition, many smaller refinements increase overall performance from better disk and graphics performance on Snow Leopard, improved 2D interactive performance, faster scrolling in Windows applications, faster to enter Unity view, improved application launch times and much more. VMware Fusion 3 is finely tuned to make Windows run even better than before on the Mac.

VMware Fusion 3 is now available for purchase and immediate download. For more information, visit the VMware official site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Would love to see a review. I'm torn between bootcamp/ VM for Win 7.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Would love to see a review. I'm torn between bootcamp/ VM for Win 7.

Ditto. When I get the new machine next month I'm not sure which "windows on mac" SW would work best for me...
  • Reply 3 of 68
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Except when you go to their website to buy an upgrade, you can put it in your cart, and view your cart, but there is no checkout button. Tried it with Safari and Firefox, no go. Their website is non-functional with Safari anyway. Can't login. At least for me.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    I can't even get that far.. apparently I have 'no eligible registered products' even though I have 2 registered copies of VMware fusion, and reregistering them does nothing.

Epic fail launch, really.. they should have at least made sure people could order the product.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Well dont know about you guys but im thinking that this may finally shut all the "you cant play games on a mac" haters out there.

Because looking at what i have been able to gather so far it looks like this can be the best of both worlds.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    Crossover games runs the Steam and other games well, without a copy of windows stealing ram and CPU at all.

But it won't run everything. Is there a Fusion demo? If it runs Colin McRae DiRT then I'm buying, Windows 7 doesn't work in bootcamp yet in my 27".
  • Reply 7 of 68
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Except when you go to their website to buy an upgrade, you can put it in your cart, and view your cart, but there is no checkout button. Tried it with Safari and Firefox, no go. Their website is non-functional with Safari anyway. Can't login. At least for me.

I purchased it just fine. It is downloading now. Mine was an upgrade.

Maybe you should try again. I am running the latest Safari.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

I purchased the upgrade earlier today using Firefox...
  • Reply 9 of 68
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Well dont know about you guys but im thinking that this may finally shut all the "you cant play games on a mac" haters out there.

Because looking at what i have been able to gather so far it looks like this can be the best of both worlds.

doesn't matter

i've seen the PC game revenue trends for the last 20 years or so and they aren't pretty. last year was 50% less than 2000, but it probably doesn't include WoW. the way consoles are today, PC gaming was probably a fad that will go away or we'll have a few games a year released
  • Reply 10 of 68
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    There is another key advantage of Fusion (VMware) over Desktop (Parallels): true support for USB external devices. No problems with Fusion; Desktop is a nightmare if you want to capture data from such devices.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post

Crossover games runs the Steam and other games well, without a copy of windows stealing ram and CPU at all.

But it won't run everything. Is there a Fusion demo? If it runs Colin McRae DiRT then I'm buying, Windows 7 doesn't work in bootcamp yet in my 27".

Really? I have a 27" Imac I'm hoping to put Win 7 on - a search for "bootcamp windows 7" has results where people have it working but usually the audio-in is a problem, does it just not work at all for you?
  • Reply 12 of 68
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

After reading VMWare forum I don't think you can play decently modern games.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    Quote:

With the existing GPU on Macs, you still can't play games, except with a $2500 Mac Pro.

The GPU on an iMac will not be able to drive a 27" gracefully during an intensive game session
  • Reply 14 of 68
    Before paying for Fusion or Parallels, or using Bootcamp which is often inconvenient (having to boot into a separate partition) you should all really check out Sun Microsystems free open source option Virtual Box. It's available at www.virtualbox.org. I have been using it with XP on my Snow Leopard Mac and fell in love with it. I am now using it on an XP host at work with a Win 7 EE guest for testing. Check it out.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

After reading VMWare forum I don't think you can play decently modern games.

Macworld has done a First Look.

Quote:

Final first look impressions

Overall, I’ve been impressed with VMware Fusion 3’s performance during my time with it. Creating new virtual machines was simple, performance was good even on a mid-range iMac, and the ability to use Aero effects and run 3D games in the virtual machine was impressive. The new Virtual Machine Library screen eases the management of multiple virtual machines, and the built-in update tool will make it easy to keep up to date with future releases.

I’ll have much more to say about VMware Fusion in an upcoming review, where I’ll take a look at Fusion’s performance in both Leopard and Snow Leopard, and see how it compares with not only its predecessor, but also with its two main competitors in the virtualization market—VirtualBox and Parallels.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1434...firstlook.html

Wine Review also has Review on Fusion 3. However, I am not sure this is hands-on. http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2009...e-windows.html
  • Reply 16 of 68
    I don't see anything compelling enough to make me upgrade. I use XP in VM for basic functions that aren't available on the Mac platform and that's it. Maybe version 5 or something for me.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvassallo View Post

Before paying for Fusion or Parallels, or using Bootcamp which is often inconvenient (having to boot into a separate partition) you should all really check out Sun Microsystems free open source option Virtual Box. It's available at www.virtualbox.org. I have been using it with XP on my Snow Leopard Mac and fell in love with it. I am now using it on an XP host at work with a Win 7 EE guest for testing. Check it out.

Does VirtualBox have DirectX 9 shader 3.0 support? If not, then for those people who need that for things like games, etc, VirtualBox is not an option.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

Does VirtualBox have DirectX 9 shader 3.0 support? If not, then for those people who need that for things like games, etc, VirtualBox is not an option.

And I don't believe VirtualBox works with a BootCamp partition. I like having the option of booting into Windows if I have to.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post

PC Pro UK have provided a workaround to get Windows 7 in Boot Camp running on the new 27" iMac.

(edited to add "in Boot Camp", to avoid any conFusion - arf!)
  • Reply 20 of 68
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I gave up on VMWare 2 as I found it slow, killed the Mac side, was a RAM hog and generally seemed a bit unpredictable as to whether a opening a Word document would actually cause the VM to start and open the document.

Plus I don't think VMWare have escaped the PC mentality. Their install notes suggested sharing the Documents folder with all content in it and installing anti-virus to protect your content. No ! Bad dog ! No biscuit !

I switched to bootcamp and am much happier with a fairly stable Vista install. Before you laugh, with no software running except AVG and Office and no files kept in there, it starts up quite quickly. The Mac can see any data in the Vista partition and I move files from Mac to PC using iDisk. I hear Snow leopard allows the Windows side to see the Mac side so, when Fujitsu one-day release drivers for the ScanSnap, I'll be curious to see how that works.