Microsoft drops Family Guy special over content issues

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft has pulled the plug on its Windows 7 sponsorship of Seth MacFarlane's forthcoming "Family Guy" special after deciding the edgy comedy didn't "fit with the Windows brand."

A report by Variety said Microsoft originally hoped to sponsor the "Family Guy Presents: Seth and Alex's Almost Live Comedy Show" on Fox to help launch Windows 7. Rather than using commercial breaks between the show's segments of animated and live-action comedy routines, the company planned to work with MacFarlane and comedienne Alex Borstein to inject messages about Windows 7 directly into the program.

Once Microsoft saw the material being developed, it dropped sponsorship of the show. "Family Guy" has been a bawdy mix of parody and intentionally poor taste for most of the decade. It was canceled after its third season, only to be resurrected by Fox after DVD sales and reruns found a wide audience. It has since spawned two other spinoffs on Fox. How Microsoft could have been surprised by the character of MacFarlane's style of comedy is difficult to imagine.

Just days before backing out of the special, Microsoft marketing executive Gayle Troberman told Ad Age "You'll see us deeply integrated into the content. You'll hear how Windows 7 can help you simplify your PC: it's simple, fast and easy to use."

A promotional spot that did air seemed to indicate that the special would be a mix of the show's old gags with irrelevant mentions of Windows 7. Below, Stewie installs Microsoft's new new operating system in order to use? Twitter.

During production, Variety reported that Microsoft "sent MacFarlane and Fox several notes expressing their concern over the show's content but ultimately decided just to drop out." Fox plans to line up another sponsor for the show and air it as planned.

Outside of the rejected MacFarlane special, Variety reported that Microsoft is still going forward with the rest of its multimillion-dollar deal with Fox One, which "encompasses a wide range of News Corp. properties, including Fox Sports, FX, Hulu, FoxSports.com on MSN, Fox Licensing and Merchandising and 20th Century Fox TV. Partnership includes a 12-week college tour sponsored by Fox Licensing and Merchandising -- featuring events such as 'Family Guy'-themed movie nights."

Past efforts at co-opting cool

Microsoft has struggled in the past with attempts to attach its corporate image to popular culture in order to sell its PC operating system software to users.

In 1986, a younger Steve Ballmer tried to tie "Miami Vice" into Windows by pasting an image of a Ferarri into Windows Write. The ad was an internal spoof, but characterized the type of humor the company hoped to use in marketing its products.

A late 80s promotional spot for Windows/386 that Microsoft actually delivered to retailers featured a white woman dressed like a clownish hooker and rapping away concerns about using Lotus 1-2-3 files within Windows as a sampled dog barks to the beat. Windows/386 was a version of Windows 2.0 targeted at the 386 processor.

At the launch of Windows 95, the company recruited Matthew Perry and Jennifer Aniston of what was then the new hit show "Friends" to demonstrate its new operating system. The company called the resulting advertisement "the first ever cyber sitcom" offering "more than a few laughs" in "an adventure in computing that takes place in the office of Microsoft chairman Bill Gates."

Along the way "they meet a wacky bunch of propeller heads" while learning about Windows 95 features, and the pace was purported to be "fast and funny."

Another spot employed a non-stop string of stereotypes, puns, and cliches to explain why users should drop DOS and their old keyboard for Windows 95 and Microsoft's new ergonomic keyboard.

Just after Microsoft launched Windows XP, Bill Gates appeared in character on the comedy "Frasier," where he took over Frasier Crane's radio show to answer users' questions pertaining to the newly available software the company was selling. Gates explained to users in 2001 that they "don't need to make a boot disk" using DOS and a floppy, but could now upgrade Windows by just inserting their CD and running the installer. "It's a feature of XP, very quick, very smooth," Gates announced.

Another caller says, "Wow, Bill Gates this is so cool!" and then asks, "I have a question about multilingual user interface ads ons. What are those?"

In an attempt to turn around the Vista launch, Bill Gates pitted himself opposite comedian Jerry Seinfeld in a series of ads that attempted to associate Gates and Microsoft with the quirky oddball humor of Seinfeld's long running show, which by that point had been off the air for a decade. While the first couple ads aired, the series was pulled before the spots ever developed upon their theme and the last episode to be filmed wasn't even broadcast.

With Windows 7, Microsoft targeted its outreach to common people, with a program to sponsor ad banners for home parties and Burger King promotion in Japan selling a bloated 7 patty, 2100 calorie burger. The canceled "Family Guy" show was the company's latest effort to target low brow consumers, but apparently was too much for the company to swallow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Smart move.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Once Microsoft saw the material being developed...How Microsoft could have been surprised by the character of MacFarlane's style of comedy is difficult to imagine.

[stewie] Not even one person from Microsoft thought to actually watch a Family Guy episode first before deciding to go with it? Not even one? Just one little Microsoft person? Just one little one? Just one to sit down there and em, watch it a little bit? Watch out for anything that em, might interest Upper Management? Anything at all that might, I don't know, raise an eyebrow? [/stewie]
  • Reply 3 of 53
    Great news. I almost stopped watching Family Guy when I found out they would support Microsoft.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmac25 View Post

Great news. I almost stopped watching Family Guy when I found out they would support Microsoft.

But Family Guy still wants the support, they didn't drop Microsoft. I'm sorry to say that with your logic you should stop watching Family Guy.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    the establishment is to dumb to know that satirist hates the establishment
  • Reply 6 of 53
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Mafia$oft had to know the type of humor that is on Family Guy (my favorite show by the way and a fan since the first episode, I might add). My guess is that Seth et al. wouldn't kow-tow and insert shameless @$$-kissing plugs for The Son of Shitsa.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Every one of those Microsoft spots, especially the promotional videos, was painful to watch. Simply terrible.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmac25 View Post

I almost cared when they announced it.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

the establishment is to dumb...

The Donger say -- ahhh, irony.

Must go now. Donger need food!
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Mafia$oft...The Son of Shitsa.

The Donger say -- Not surprised that fan of Family Guy would find that clever.

No more yankee my wankee!
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Family Guy stopped being good years ago anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Has everyone seen the original version it was based of? They did so little extra work to make the ad, and surely MS knew about Family Guy that I have to wonder if it was just too poor for the money that the said screw them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

[stewie] Not even one person from Microsoft thought to actually watch a Family Guy episode first before deciding to go with it. Not even one? Just one little Microsoft person? Just one little one? [/stewie]

hehe You should have ran with that a bit longer.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    And, oh yeah, I bet the Family Guy writers were salivating at the idea of being paid by Mafia$oft and then subtly slamming them in the show (kinda like how they always do to Fox). Now, it's a full out slobber.

I can't wait.

Giggity-giggity-goo!!!

Aw right!
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post

The Donger say -- Not surprised that fan of Family Guy would find that clever.

No more yankee my wankee!

Cubert say originality much funnier than rehashing 1980's John Waters schlock.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Every one of those Microsoft spots, especially the promotional videos, was painful to watch. Simply terrible.

Which is why I didn't watch them.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Microsoft has pulled the plug on its Windows 7 ad campaign featuring Seth MacFarlane's "Family Guy" franchise after deciding the edgy comedy didn't "fit with the Windows brand."

There were a lot of Macs in the 'behind the scenes' TV documentaries, maybe the writers are a bit biased. You can't help but feel Microsoft are jealous that Apple got such a big mention on the Simpsons and going about it their usual way by trying to match it and failing. They have been mentioned in Family Guy before though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCRUE4Bip8

Microsoft just seems like the rich corporate loser who is married to a beautiful younger woman (the consumer) and although she's tied to the loser, she's in love with the more attractive gardner (Apple). No matter how much wealth, power and control they have, they want what Apple has. One day they'll learn that some things you just can't buy. Respect must be earned and Apple have earned it many times over.

Quote:

In an attempt to turn around the Vista launch, Bill Gates pitted himself opposite comedian Jerry Seinfeld in a series of ads that attempted to associate Gates and Microsoft with the quirky oddball humor of Seinfeld's long running show

Yeah, I don't think it worked out so well. Here's Seinfeld on the latest Curb Your Enthusiasm episode. The Macbook Pro could hypothetically have Windows on it but it's no PC that's for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muQUPd9UPCc
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

His quotes and handle are from "Sixteen Candles", directed by . . . John Hughes (RIP).
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:

The Donger say -- Stupid American should not feel shame that he confused the director of Pink Flamingos with the director of 16 Candles. You are product of shoddy public school system.

Like my sexy American girlfriend!
  • Reply 19 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Has MS ever put out a good ad? I enjoyed the ones with Seinfeld and Gates, but they didn’t sell the product well so I can’t call them “good”.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

His quotes and handle are from "Sixteen Candles", directed by . . . John Hughes (RIP).

RIP, indeed.

Is your name derived from the USA network show that often quotes 80’s movies?
  • Reply 20 of 53
    This might be too old, but the Windows 98 "placement" in the South Park movie was fitting.

Ten years later, and the world still waits for MS to finally get it right...

Anyway, did Ballmer ever make it into a South Park episode?