Google says its navigation will come to iPhone, if Apple approves

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Wednesday revealed a free online navigation service that will be a part of its forthcoming Android 2.0 mobile operating system. It could also come to the iPhone, the company said, if given the green light by Apple.

A beta of Google Maps Navigation will arrive next week when the Motorola Droid smartphone debuts on Verizon's network. The service will be added to all other Android devices, as well, when they are formally updated to version 2.0.

Google said it would also like to support the iPhone with Maps Navigation.

"Apple is a close partner," a Google spokesperson told AppleInsider Wednesday. "Millions of users experience Google Maps on the iPhone. We will continue to work with Apple to bring innovation, including Latitude and Navigation, to users but you'll have to speak to Apple about availability."

In July, Google released a Web-based version of its Latitude service rather than a native application. Apple allegedly did not allow it to be released as a native application for download on the App Store to avoid confusion with the native, Google-created Maps application.

The biggest iPhone-related dispute between Google and Apple came when the Google Voice application was not accepted into the App Store, prompting an investigation from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. Google has claimed that its app was formally rejected, while Apple insists it is still pondering the software.

As Google has continued to encroach on Apple's core businesses, CEO Eric Schmidt was forced to resign from the Apple Board of Directors. Another common link between the two companies' boards, Arthur Levinson, also resigned from Google. Both came in the wake of an investigation from the Federal Trade Commission over anticompetitive concerns.

Despite the appearance of growing tension between the two technology giants, Schmidt recently insisted there is no bad blood between his company and Apple. "We love the iPhone," he said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I approve. Is that good enough?
  • Reply 2 of 109
    I can't see why Apple wouldn't approve the app - regardless on whether or not there's animosity between the companies. There are plenty of GPS Navigation apps out on the app store, so Google's shouldn't be any different.

w00master
  • Reply 3 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Hmm.. I wonder if the determining factor for App Store acceptance (or even as default iPhone Maps acceptance) is whether Apple thinks this Android app will be popular enough to sway people to these other devices.
  • Reply 4 of 109
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    So far Apple's been pretty good about integrating Google Map functionality into the iPhone Map App.

I cannot think of any reason why Apple would be so stubborn to not include the navigation software. But its difficult to ever know with Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hmm.. I wonder if the determining factor for App Store acceptance (or even as default iPhone Maps acceptance) is whether Apple thinks this Android app will be popular enough to sway people to these other devices.

• Reply 5 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

So far Apple's been pretty good about integrating Google Map functionality into the iPhone Map App.

I cannot think of any reason why Apple would be so stubborn to not include the navigation software. But its difficult to ever know with Apple.

Interpreted code excuse? I’d like to see this feature built into the default Maps app, and hopefully it will, but Apple does some wonky things sometimes that make no sense to me despite trying to see it through their eyes.
  • Reply 6 of 109
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

the iphone map app is Google Maps

the difference between tomtom and the google apps will be that the Google one is essentially spyware
  • Reply 7 of 109
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

The Maps app in the iPhone was actually developed by Apple not Google. There is no reason to reject Google Navigation app. The only thing I see is that TomTom and other paid navigation app developers will get upset if Google gave away their app for free.
  • Reply 8 of 109
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    yay! unless apple can build something better...
  • Reply 9 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The Maps app in the iPhone was actually developed by Apple not Google. There is no reason to reject Google Navigation app. The only thing I see is that TomTom and other paid navigation app developers will get upset if Google gave away their app for free.

Yes I know Apple developed the Maps app, its built on Google Map tiles and services.

Apple has already rejected Google mapping apps saying they would be confused with the the iPhones standard maps. So its unlikely they will approve Google Navigation app. Unless Apple breaks its own rules, building it into the current Map app is the only option.

Quote:

the difference between tomtom and the google apps will be that the Google one is essentially spyware

What exactly makes Google Navigation spyware more than any other GPS mapping service?
  • Reply 10 of 109
    Why is Google already placing the burden of acceptance on Apple? After all, Apple's already accepted a boatload of navigation apps, if Google's was just another one there'd be no problem, so why the PR campaign?

I wonder if it's because Google knows it's not like the other nav apps. The others supply their own maps, but Google's may want to tap in via Google Maps on the iPhone. Despite the name, Google Maps is written solely by Apple (it simply utilizes Google's map tiles). If Google's nav app replaces some of the GM functionality, Apple would likely not allow it. Maybe Google knows this, hence the PR campaign.

Further, Apple recently bought their own map firm, and there's speculation they may be eventually use it instead of Google's maps. Since Google recently added ads to their maps, this would be a loss of revenue. In fact, it could potentially be a HUGE loss. The nav app might be the "Trojan Horse" to try to keep Apple from shifting away.

Finally, even if none of the above is true, Google, no, I will not "speak to Apple about availability" of an app that's in beta and obviously not even submitted to the App Store. Again, the PR campaign started early, and it makes me wonder about true motives (I KNOW it's not just to put a free app in the hands of iPhone users). When the app is out of beta (will that take years like Google Mail, Docs, etc.?) and submitted to Apple, then get back to me.
  • Reply 11 of 109
    They better add Latitude to the maps app too! This would probably add a lot of new users to the service and make it even more useful.
  • Reply 12 of 109
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Apple should approve.

Just sayin'
  • Reply 13 of 109
    Quote:

Yes I know Apple developed the Maps app, its built on Google Map tiles and services.

Apple has already rejected Google mapping apps saying they would be confused with the the iPhones standard maps. So its unlikely they will approve Google Navigation app. Unless Apple breaks its own rules, building it into the current Map app is the only option.

Google Earth is mapping app by Google and it was not rejected. Furthermore, the iPhone does not have built-in turn-by-turn navigation app to cause confusion. Google Navigation, if submitted, will be treated like any other turn by turn navigation app (TomTom for example).
  • Reply 14 of 109
    Google Earth is more like a 3D atlas for exploration its not intended for navigation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Google Earth is mapping app by Google and it was not rejected. Furthermore, the iPhone does not have built-in turn-by-turn navigation app to cause confusion. Google Navigation, if submitted, will be treated like any other turn by turn navigation app (TomTom for example).

• Reply 15 of 109
    Quote:

What exactly makes Google Navigation spyware more than any other GPS mapping service?

If Apple is planning on replacing the maps app that is currently based on Google with something else, then they will really have no excuse not to allow the Google navigation app, because there will no longer by any overlap with core features.
  • Reply 16 of 109
    Quote:

Google Earth is more like a 3D atlas for exploration its not intended for navigation.

So is the built in Maps app. There is no built-in iPhone navigation app. Maps give you directions and shows you where you are but lacks turn by turn real time directions, voice directions, and other essentials required for real navigation. I admit that I use the Maps apps while driving but not without someone next to me telling me what do to next. Basically you need a passenger to act as your turn by turn voice navigation feature if you want to use the Maps app
  • Reply 17 of 109
    Apple should probably take advantage of having the Google Navigator and just focus on adding value to it that distinguishes the platform.

That said... Google is become scarier and scarier.

Can everyone see what they're doing?

The Droid looks to be the best gambit yet towards creating a vision of the future of mobile computing. Android is a container implementing Google's best practices for their various cloud APIs. Anyone who thinks "iPhone vs. Droid" is missing the point. Google is doing an "end-run" on becoming integrated into EVERY device and EVERY operating system on the planet. Android is Google's insurance that their cloud computing platform cannot be marginalized. By keeping most of their value in the cloud, they can afford to "open source" the core system. By virtually giving away Android OS, and doing everything to popularize the platform, Google makes its services more attractive to other operating systems (like iPhone OS).

When I saw Google Mobile, with its Voice Search relying on the Google search engine, I became very impressed with the ability to use the power of a search engine to decipher voice input into likely commands. "THAT's power!", I thought. I made a post on another forum saying that Apple or Google should extend this to an entire operating system. --Google has now done that ADMIRABLY, and continued to push it even further with its amazing new "Turn-by-Turn Navigation" features.

Suddenly, Apple's game just got a LOT smaller, and its VERY clear why Apple could not readily allow Google Voice to appropriate its phone features. Google has set out to PUNK everyone who's not paying attention. They will give away services left-and-right. Some silly writers will think Google will "hold back" functions from Apple, when in reality Google is only too happy to offer them to Apple for integration into the iPhone. When Apple doesn't use the technology, Google will be only too happy to create a new iPhone app. Google Maps for Mobile will permeate every OS. Google services will find their way into a myriad of custom applications on each device.

Buy Google stock. Sell short on TomTom, Garmin, RIM, Palm and Nokia.

Apple? They're quickly becoming one of the only remaining two companies that will be able to compete with Google's game plan. In modern times, we will quickly realize that we do not know the meaning of the word "monopoly". Years from now, we will realize this as a pivotal moment before Google became the most powerful corporation on the face of the planet. When governments begin to understand and attempt to legislate the problem, it will be virtually impossible to understand how to even begin breaking Google up.

There will be no clear "categories" Google will fall into. Everything will be part of one pervasive miasma hooked into the same backend.

~ CB
  • Reply 18 of 109
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Goggles terms of service have said that Turn by turn was not allowed. So we introduce turn by turn and what? The front end to the Map app is built by Apple so to integrate this new functionality requires a new software release. Is this hard ? Probably not, but Apple works on a schedule and if google brings new functionality to their offerings then Apple will most likely take advantage of them. Folks are falling over themselves because google announced new capability in 2.0. Andriod is freeware the way to go? Why wouldn't google be on the Iphone train? Google makes their dollar in search so it they piss off Apple maybe it's bing
  • Reply 19 of 109
    If they use something else I can agree.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

If Apple is planning on replacing the maps app that is currently based on Google with something else, then they will really have no excuse not to allow the Google navigation app, because there will no longer by any overlap with core features.

• Reply 20 of 109
    C'mon, Apple. This one has to be a no-brainer - please do it yesterday.

It looks to be really useful, and well-designed. And, it would help you to quickly take out the perception that the Droid is a 'cool' device (ref. the hundreds of news stories today) because of this one app.