Apple TV 3.0 software update to support iTunes LP, Extras

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    iLounge has an extensive gallery of the new AppleTV v3.0 changes.
  • Reply 102 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Apple could even base the AppleTV on the iPhone/iPod touch platform, and it would consume even less power, however that would require a ground-up re-write of the software, whereas an ION or CE4100 solution would just require "tweaks".

At the moment, the energy efficiency of the AppleTV is dreadful; something Apple should be ashamed of (and the evidence suggests they are, there's no details of the AppleTV in Apple's environment pages).

I'm not sure it would require a ground-up rewrite of the AppleTV software. The iPhone is already quite capable of playing video, and the iPhone OS is the same underlying OSX software. They just need to write a menuing interface.

It would actually simplify things for Apple if they could have just MacOSX and iPhoneOS. And the AppleTV would get to ride some of the iPhone developments.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The current ATV and AV dock ship with the old remote, which indicates that they are both in need of an upgrade. ..... I would guess that the AV dock will be upgraded to match alongside an OS update allowing the iPhone 3GS and iPod touch to play back 720p video of course (a nice mid cycle purchasing incentive).

This would be great.

The current dock+remote for the iPhone (and iPod touch) already allows movies/tv to be played on your TV using the remote. Add 720p functionality to the iPhone, and make an AppleTV app for the iPhone so it looks and works IDENTICALLY to the AppleTV, and it's a nice back door to expand Apple in the living room.
  • Reply 103 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

the vast majority of countries still don't have any video content whatsoever available on iTunes Store. So, as much as I like the idea of a new software, maybe with subscriptions, I would much more love that Apple strikes deals to release video on iTunes Store. That, more than a US-centric set of new features, would increase the sales figures of the AppleTV dramatically.

Yes, we have movies and TV in Australia but it's much less than the US store. Hope you see some action soon.

I'm hoping that some networks start doing international deals with Apple. As you say though, the studios and networks are scared of the future so it may take some time.. perhaps the smaller networks will lead the way.

I want to see a subscription to Discovery networks worldwide, or BBC worldwide, or syfy worldwide etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Seriously...

Where's the Apple TV DVR feature already?

Doesn't AT&T now offer a "virtual DVR" feature? They have a regular set top box which interfaces with DVRs back at central locations. The DVRs record the programs, and then the "dumb(er)" set top box streams your recordings on demand.

I think that's more likely than an actual DVR.

And no good for us overseas... unless perhaps we have a US account.
  • Reply 104 of 112
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'm not sure it would require a ground-up rewrite of the AppleTV software. The iPhone is already quite capable of playing video, and the iPhone OS is the same underlying OSX software. They just need to write a menuing interface.

Indeed. I guess I mis-used the "ground-up" phrase, because yes, OS X, iPhone OS and the AppleTV software have the same kernel and presumably also share many parts of the Cocoa API. When I said "the software", I really meant the bits of AppleTV that have been built on top - the GUI, and the extra low-lying parts such as graphics drivers to get the Nvidia GPU in AppleTV to do the heavy-lifting of video decoding.

If Apple moved AppleTV to the CE4100, they'd need to re-do the video decoding bits, if they moved to an iPhone-type hardware platform, they'd need to re-do the GUI as well.

One thing is for sure - Apple should move the AppleTV to a new hardware platform, and they should do it as soon as possible - the tech. is out there.
  • Reply 105 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    iLounge has a quick review of the update. Apparently it’s considerably snappier to navigate. Hopefully that means that they installed a SL base with QuickTime X and other core components, but I doubt it. Either way, that awful v2.0 interface is gone, replaces with a horizontal one akin to the PS3, though considerably less cool looking.
  • Reply 106 of 112
    thedoors.com is shown as a menu option in the picture of iTunes LP on the AppleTV.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/whats-on/music.html

No idea if it actually goes to the website.
  • Reply 107 of 112
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Seriously?

It?ll come when Blu-ray and VHS come to the AppleTV. NEVER!

Like that's a good thing...

And what in the world does long forgotten media like VHS have to do with hi-definition BD?

Note: Don't even bother responding with some nonsensical "they're both obsolete when compared to Apple's (barely) 720p downloads", because the reality is that iTunes video downloads come nowhere near the audio/video quality of today's Blu-Ray releases by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Reply 108 of 112
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Very often, 720p is barely distinguishable from 1080p. Depends on your TV.

Both are HD, one is in a higher res. Depends on the compression, too. Lots of factors involved that do not give an automatic win to 1080p. There are some 720p sets out there (or were, at least) that far outclass the average 1080p set, the Panasonic Viera line being an example.

In theory, 1080p over 720p, sure. In practice, it's a different story.

All Apple has to do is offer picture quality that is noticeably better than DVD (call it what you like), and that's half the battle won right there.
  • Reply 109 of 112
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Very often, 720p is barely distinguishable from 1080p. Depends on your TV.

Both are HD, one is in a higher res. Depends on the compression, too. Lots of factors involved that do not give an automatic win to 1080p. There are some 720p sets out there (or were, at least) that far outclass the average 1080p set, the Panasonic Viera line being an example.

In theory, 1080p over 720p, sure. In practice, it's a different story.

All Apple has to do is offer picture quality that is noticeably better than DVD (call it what you like), and that's half the battle won right there.

When I bought my 42 inch Panasonic TV, there was a 720p and 1080p model. I bought the 720 model and saved a bit of money. There just seem to be so many people that are willing to pay the extra for the 1080p. Winning the battle may not be so cut and dry.

Edit: If the Mac came with a Blu-ray drive and I could rip my Blu-ray movies for my AppleTV (DVDFab on Windows), I would declare it a winner.
  • Reply 110 of 112
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Except that one can't watch a Blu-ray movie on an AppleTV. Last time I checked, both iMovie and Compressor insist on outputting 960x540 resolution to my AppleTV. I have had success playing 720/24p files, but the AppleTV will not play (only up-convert to) 1080/60p. It will also not support DolbyTrue HD or DTS-HD Master Audio. And by the way, where are you getting Blu-ray movies fro free (legally)?

Yeah that's a clear difference right there for many people. Propopnents of AppleTV just don't want to admit it. So they go into the whole " Well 1080p doesn't make a difference on tvs unless they're 50" or bigger ". Except 50" or bigger are the screen sizes that are selling the best right now. And the sound difference is also a big deal. How they can gloss over that is beyond me.
  • Reply 111 of 112
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Yeah that's a clear difference right there for many people. Propopnents of AppleTV just don't want to admit it. So they go into the whole " Well 1080p doesn't make a difference on tvs unless they're 50" or bigger ". Except 50" or bigger are the screen sizes that are selling the best right now. And the sound difference is also a big deal. How they can gloss over that is beyond me.

I'm a bit doubtful that 50" or larger screens are selling best. Can you provide a link supporting this claim? People gloss over sound because it plays second fiddle to video. My experience in sales backs this up. I'd often see people spend 2000 dollars on a TV and barely 200 dollars for a surround sound speaker setup.
  • Reply 112 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Y'know, I'm a huge proponent of the Apple TV. I absolutely love mine. That's not to say that I can't tell the difference in quality between the low-bit 720p content I watch on it and the 1080 content on my HD media. That said, I have movies I do want in über-high quality, but for the most part I'm happy with the convenience and acceptable quality I get with my TV.