First Look: Apple's wireless, multitouch Magic Mouse

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    USB Overdrive is great, no argument about that. I use it to set my iGesture to a high speed (120dpi) and very high acceleration. A one-inch movement can get me from one side of my 30" screen to the other. The disadvantage is that I do accidentally activate Exposé fairly often with an accidental flick to upper right. I wish Apple would include some kind of adjustable delay for activation, like virtually every third party app that uses hot corners.
  • Reply 82 of 98
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,305member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by treestman View Post

You might want to try lower-left and upper-right (assuming you're right-handed). These are VERY natural movements and make invoking Spaces and Expose a breeze.

I use the lower-right and upper-left to invoke the desktop and screen sleep respectively.

Thanks -- that is better!
  • Reply 83 of 98
    The zoom feature has been around since the days of Tiger and I use it nearly every day. It works with any mouse and is very useful for everything from tiny text on poorly designed websites that don't respond well to increasing text size to embedded videos.

With it's easy to hit default key (control), I often find it easier and faster to quickly zoom into a bit of text rather than increasing its size. it is also especially handy when you want to read an article but don't want to see the ads that clutter so many websites.

Finally, It is a great feature for people with vision difficulties or just plain old presbyopia. While not everyone will find this feature useful, plenty of people will and to call it a "novelty" is pretty short sighted.

Don't forget, people used to claim the Mac and the GUI were novelties, too.
  • Reply 84 of 98
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Here's my review. Meh . . . I'm a bit disappointed.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=104365
  • Reply 85 of 98
    I found this to be the case too (i.e. the surface was very grippy), but i found that after a few hours of use the surface became more and more easy to move my finger across, it was like there was some tiny film of grippy stuff and my fingers slowly wore it away. My mouse surface is very easy to move your fingers across now.
  • Reply 86 of 98
    Slowly getting used to it. Still not as comfy as my Might Mouse but it certainly feels a lot more nimble and I can move it around more easily.

Yes, tthe surface feels better after some use, similar to the iPhone.

No middle click is still a killer, though.

However, the scrolling trumps Logitech scrolling technology by far.
  • Reply 87 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrumbleGus View Post

[The zoom feature] is a great feature for [...] just plain old presbyopia.

Is it useful for Methodists too?
  • Reply 88 of 98
    Quote:

(1) the ability to zoom with the mouse is not new. You could do that using the scroll ball on the MightyMouse combined with the exact same modifier key options as now.

Exactly. I wonder why it is presented as a feature of the mouse itself. It's been a feature of OSX for some time now.
  • Reply 89 of 98
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Is it useful for Methodists too?

• Reply 90 of 98
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Magic Mouse scrolling is terrible. Choppy and slow. i have a relatively fast machine, and scrolling through iTunes is disgusting. Safari is not much better.

An update better be imminent or this pos is going back.
  • Reply 91 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ediedi View Post

Exactly. I wonder why it is presented as a feature of the mouse itself. It's been a feature of OSX for some time now.

Because it does almost nothing else? Theres one multitouch gesture. Scrolling, as I mentioned, sucks.

Maximum sensitivity is likewise way too slow. This mouse does NOT have much going for it...yet. Thats what I like about Apple, the ability to improve things via software update. This had better be one of those things.
  • Reply 92 of 98
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Magic Mouse scrolling is terrible. Choppy and slow. i have a relatively fast machine, and scrolling through iTunes is disgusting. Safari is not much better.

An update better be imminent or this pos is going back.

Are you running 10.6.x or 10.5.x? You only get momentum under 10.6, which I found makes a huge difference to how fast the scrolling feels.
  • Reply 93 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Are you running 10.6.x or 10.5.x? You only get momentum under 10.6, which I found makes a huge difference to how fast the scrolling feels.

10.6.1 w/ the special magic mouse update applied. Safari seems to be a little better than before, but iTunes really lags in grid view if the scroll speed is even respectably high.

UPDATE: Given it a little more time and Safari seems to have gotten used to the new mouse, if that makes any sense. iTunes is still slow because iTunes is slow, nothing really to do with the mouse. I'm happy with it so far, except that clicking feels like a 15 year old original iMac mouse click. AKA Not good. Clunky. Thick. Should be much softer.

This mouse had BETTER see some added multitouch features. At the very least, enable tap to click.
  • Reply 94 of 98
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Finally had a chance to try out this mouse. I'm sorry... but to me at least... it's another huge failure. The profile is ridiculously thin making it not just difficult to "kick" the mouse with the back of your palm... but literally impossible. The only way to use this mouse is with the fingers. The scrolling is very cool and smooth. Works well. And it's great that you can now pick up a clicked mouse (unlike the Mighty Mouse which was next to impossible to pick up and reposition while clicked due to the button wrapping all the way down the sides of the mouse).

That's where the good new ends however. Again... impossible to palm or even "kick" with the palm. Ridiculously thin. And the swipe gesture is very awkward. Also... unlike a trackpad which has a slippery matte surface... the Magic Mouse has a high gloss finish... so your fingers actually tend to drag / stick. A matte finish would have been much more "slippery" and usable. But of course, not nearly as sexy. And as unsexy as a small thumb button is for forward and back (like on a normal mouse)... it's a million times simpler, easier and more ergonomic than that awkward swipe gesture. You don't even had to move a finger with a thumb button. The button would be right under your thumb and just requires the slightest little click (like the MS 7000 Laser or Logitech Revolution). And there's no way to assign a button or gesture to increase font size. Something I do a lot. Also... right clicking is ridiculous. Just absolutely ridiculous. You have to re-teach your fingers to make sure your index finger is UP IN THE AIR in order to right click. If the index finger is even slightly brushing the top of the mouse... ever so slightly... by like... a whisper... you get a regular click.

Sorry. Looks pretty. But from a usability point of view... as usual for Apple... this mouse is yet another failure. Useless. The scrolling is brilliant. But that's about it.

If all you need in a mouse is scrolling... and if you don't mind using a "finger" mouse (and never use your palm)... and if right clicking makes your brain hurt (or you don't mind re-learning years of muscle memory)... then by all means. Buy it. Otherwise... don't waste your money. It would be okay for my Mom... but not for a professional (say a designer or developer). Not by a long shot. And maybe that was the goal in any case.
  • Reply 95 of 98
    I love the Magic Mouse!!! I own an iphone and this just feels so natural to use. I don't understand the camplaints, the thing works very well! Glad i bought it and now i can control movie viewing on my 30" display from several feet away and scroll redculously fast or slow or however i want. Right click is sweet. I cannot complain about a darn thing on the mouse. Oh, wait, the price, i laughed as it wrung up at $73 for the little mouse. I thought i must really be crazy! Still after using it i would def pay $73 without batting an eye!
  • Reply 96 of 98
    I snagged this Mouse for $61, but the tracking speed is horrible. Very horrible. I feel like I'm scraping a piece of jagged glass against another piece of glass when I move it. It's a very eloquent mouse, but it's going back.. as in right now.
  • Reply 97 of 98
    I think you mean "elegant". And yes, Apple has set the maximum tracking speed too low for those of you who have anything bigger than a 13" MacBook. But that's something that's easy to fix with a quick free download.
  • Reply 98 of 98
    Excellent device, Apple! Made for my hand and for my manner of stroking computer mouse. Top product, just the best one.

How did you know, btw?