iPhone makes enterprise market inroads for Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone has recently seen greater adoption in the enterprise market, with its business market share more than tripling in the past year, a new report has found.

By the end of the year, Apple will have shipped an estimated 2 million iPhones to corporate accounts, according to a new report from Deutsche Bank. As first noted by Fortune Brainstorm Tech, that would give Apple a projected 7 percent share of the enterprise smartphone market, well up from the 2 percent share in 2008.

Exclusively enterprise use still remains just a sliver of total iPhone adoption, though. Of 25 million iPhones cited in the Deutsche Bank study, about 17 million are for consumer use. The remainder -- just over 5 million -- use their iPhone for mixed personal and business use.

Apple's progress in the business world is cited in part because of an October report from J.D. Power and Associates, which found the iphone to be the top smartphone for both consumers and business users. Apple topped all other business smartphones with a score of 803, ahead of second-place BlackBerry with 724.

Another asset for the iPhone is its large library of applications, as well as its virtual keyboard. While the touchscreen keyboard has been cited by many as a reason businesses avoid the iPhone, the report said that the perception that physical keyboards are necessary is a "fallacy."

In June, Apple started to be more aggressive in courting potential enterprise customers when it released a guide to help system administrators deploy iPhones throughout large businesses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    The data seem to conflate 'enterprise' and 'business'. I view the former as large companies, while the latter as all businesses, including mom-and-pop types. I'll bet that a sizable portion of the 'consumer' segment is small businesses (e.g., proprietorships).
  • Reply 2 of 47
    That's great new for marketing niche. However, they still need to make improvements to tackle the RIM market.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Although not being a Fortune 500 business, I would much rather use an iPhone over BB or anything else for my business. While I want to succeed in my self employed business, I don't take myself too seriously. Kind of like the "I'm a Mac" relax look versus the "I'm a PC" stodgy business suit look.

Also, I'd rather have a company like Apple that is constantly improving the coding of the phone's OS. Others like RIM probably update their OS but I wonder if it is to the same extent as Apple.

Finally, the chart and numbers is going in the right direction. I'd say give it time.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Exclusively enterprise use still remains just a sliver of total iPhone adoption, though. Of 25 million iPhones cited in the Deutsche Bank study, about 17 million are for consumer use. The remainder -- just over 5 million -- use their iPhone for mixed personal and business use.

I believe 17+5=22, not 25 million. Or am I misreading something?
  • Reply 5 of 47
    how many are actual BB converters?
  • Reply 6 of 47
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Good luck penetrating corporate accounts with that AT&T ball and chain around your neck.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I believe 17+5=22, not 25 million. Or am I misreading something?

17.something + 5.something = 23 million.

25 million - 23 million = 2 million enterprise iphone users.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

That's great new for marketing niche. However, they still need to make improvements to tackle the RIM market.

Yeah they do! It?s gotten better in each revision and some aspects trump RiM?s offering and others, but they need to get a more robust system messaging and email. It?s too consumer orientated in usage to be hassle free as a BB. The changes I propose aren?t even big ones. They?ve already ironed out the biggest problems already.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Good luck penetrating corporate accounts with that AT&T ball and chain around your neck.

Because AT&T doesn?t have corporate accounts already that would consider the iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Quote:

Well, we've got the AT&T "ball and chain" with our Blackberrys. I hope our corporate IT masters qualify the iPhone, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

they have already beeb deep;y penetrated my buddy . tens of thousand of exec's npw use iphone for enterprise level business

what they now want is for the company to approve of there use and make iphone the official phone .

security and complete instant wipes issues remain

also apple ignoring them is another

i win

i win

yes 9

peace

yanks in 5
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

yanks in 5

Yanks, yes, but in 7. Bag of hurt tonight....
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Well, we've got the AT&T "ball and chain" with our Blackberrys. I hope our corporate IT masters qualify the iPhone, but I'm not holding my breath.

But your IT masters can change its battery- can't they?
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

they have already beeb deep;y penetrated my buddy . tens of thousand of exec's npw use iphone for enterprise level business

what they now want is for the company to approve of there use and make iphone the official phone .

security and complete instant wipes issues remain

also apple ignoring them is another

i win

i win

yes 9

peace

yanks in 5

Yanks in 5.

Philly Cream Cheese tonight.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because AT&T doesn?t have corporate accounts already that would consider the iPhone.

Not when they can't change the battery on-site. Nor can they disable the iPod functions.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Wouldn't AT&T offer the advantage of being able to use data and voice at the same time e.g. Fire off an email or consult a webpage at the same time as talking about it, instead of having to hang up, wait some indeterminate period then call back?

The Verizon ball and chain.

Besides last quarter International iPhone sales outstripped US sales there are many places that don't have the same issues as AT&T.

Quote:

• Reply 16 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Not when they can't change the battery on-site. Nor can they disable the iPod functions.

Wrong and wrong. A small screwdriver in hand and the battery is out in a jiffy. You can’t disable the iPod, but I can and corporate can. I can disable anything I want on my iPhone. I even have an alphanumeric passphrase for my lock screen, just like corporate can do. The corporate functions have been there for a while now, but you wouldn’t know that because you fail to comprehend what you read.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:

But your IT masters can change its battery- can't they?

I don't think that really matters, none of my Blackberries have ever lasted longer than a year.

The last one died after the screen broke when I, somewhat ironically, dropped my Macbook Pro on it.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    We've got both iPhone and BB in a corporate enviroment, but I wouldn't characterize it as anything near an 'Enterprise'. The line for these titles are a charcoal fuzzy blur anyway.

iPhone is most liked because it is the best outside of work enviroment. I use nearly all of the home applications on iPhone. With my old BB, I used maybe 4 total. Email on iPhone has gotten better, but still isn't as rock solid as the BB.

BB - Bulletproof for email. Many still like these solely because the email always works, and they can type. Although I will say that on many of the newer devices we have had a terrible time with the mini-USB port going bad.

Being a tech nut, the iphone is a more useful device for me- But for the sales folks that only care if they got their last email, BB is a more reliable device. Women at our company mostly prefer the BB because they can still type with long nails. Sounds like a weak argument for a device, but the numbers speak for themselves.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    it's hard to meet the demands of business with a phone created for consumers. Use the apple brain power to come up with a killer iphone for business instead of trying a one size fits all approach.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:

What's with the battery concern? I have a first gen iPhone and the battery is fine. With the beating that corporate phones take I am guessing that they would be replaced and/or upgraded long before the battery ceased being effective. . . . or are you being facetious? It's hard to tell with you sometimes.