May I edit/clear Safari URL typeahead?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm sure this is covered somewhere in the forum... I just didn't know the correct buzzword with which to search!

When I type a URL, Safari, of course, makes nice and tries to fill in the blank ahead of time. Safari sometimes judges TOO quickly, in my case, adding a few keystrokes to my work, or bringing up a lengthy URL I typed the other day which turned out to be a bad (non-existent) website.

Is there a manner in which I may either edit or at least clear the type-ahead list? (I tried lamebrained efforts such as clearing cache and wandering around through cookies, but that's not it.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I'm not at my Mac right now, but if clear cache didn't help, it may be Clear History. But I'm not exactly sure.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    I think it's History as well. Try the second method below as a test.

From Safari Help:

Deleting your browsing history

Safari keeps track of webpages you have viewed in the history list. This list lets you return quickly to those pages, but you may want to clear it to maintain privacy.

To clear the entire history list:

Choose History > Clear History, and then click Clear.

To clear individual items from the history list:

Click the open-book icon to view the bookmarks list.

Click History in the Collections list on the left.

Select the items you want to clear in the list of bookmarks on the right, and then press the Delete key.

If you can?t see the list of bookmarks because Cover Flow view is covering it, drag up on the handle below the Cover Flow scroll bar.

To clear individual items automatically after a period of time:

Choose Safari > Preferences and click General.

Choose an option from the ?Remove history items? pop-up menu.