Cosmetic oddity: Safari shakes on Facebook load

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This doesn't prevent Safari from working, but, I'm just posting to find out whether anyone else had run into it. I tried on both Safari and the latest Webkit nightly.

Upon loading the Facebook site, the page shakes, quickly and quite noticeably, left and right once or twice, then settles into place. I haven't seen this happen on any other website.

FWIW, the behavior occurs on http://www.facebook.com but NOT on http://lite.facebook.com ...The lite screen doesn't have two areas for userid/password.

I tried rebooting and clearing the cache. The behavior persists. To repeat: this is NOT a problem, per se. Just a curiosity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    That's what happens with the login window at startup if you enter an incorrect password: the input window shakes like you describe, apparently meaning 'uh-uh, wrong password'.

Could it be that your system automatically sends a password to your Facebook page when you load it/login? Which then, if it is analogous to the shaking startup password window, would mean that password was not accepted by your Facebook page. Do you have owner's privileges on that Facebook page when you have that shaking happen to you?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

That's what happens with the login window at startup if you enter an incorrect password: the input window shakes like you describe, apparently meaning 'uh-uh, wrong password'.

Could it be that your system automatically sends a password to your Facebook page when you load it/login? Which then, if it is analogous to the shaking startup password window, would mean that password was not accepted by your Facebook page. Do you have owner's privileges on that Facebook page when you have that shaking happen to you?

Happens with no userid/password saved, no userid/password entered. FWIW I DO have owner's privileges on that FB page. Maybe I should finger out how to get Safari to save userid/password.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjpoblam View Post

Happens with no userid/password saved, no userid/password entered. FWIW I DO have owner's privileges on that FB page. Maybe I should finger out how to get Safari to save userid/password.

...Maybe it's because the FB folks prefill the fields with the "grayed" hints "Email" and "Password" and those, of course, aren't correct. As you say. And I need to figure how to get Safari to force-feed the info before the page appears. Likely impossible!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    My browser does the same exact thing that you described, on Safari with Facebook. I'm not computer-savvy, and was worried that it was some kind of bug ...but you think it's just a weird nothing?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NarsMaught View Post

My browser does the same exact thing that you described, on Safari with Facebook. I'm not computer-savvy, and was worried that it was some kind of bug ...but you think it's just a weird nothing?

I think it's not just a weird nothing... I think it's as he described above, a reaction to an "incorrect password" (weird as it seems when FB tries to fill in the blanks with their danged hints).

Try as I might, I haven't managed to get Safari to store a userid/password and plop it into the logon sequence. However, you might have some luck if you go in through the "lite" route: http://lite.facebook.com

(It gives you the "compressed" version of FB and you can finagle your way back over to the "full-fledged" or "old" or whatcha-may-call-it version. At any rate, Safari seems to be willing to store userid/password for "lite".)
  • Reply 6 of 13
    yeah i experienced the same thing.i just bought a macbook pro yesterday so im new in mac (first time user).everytime i visit the facebook using safari, the screen shakes for a second & then everything will go back to normal while browsing the content of my account at fb. made me worry & im glad i found this forum & i learned that i am not the only one who's experiencing this. hope someone will tell us the cause and how to resolve this.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    This window shake effect can be done with a Javascript. Why you are seeing in on Facebook, I don't know -- but anyone can implement it.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I get the problem you described with Safari on Firefox:
    Upon loading the Facebook site, the page shakes, quickly and quite noticeably, left and right once or twice, then settles into place. I haven't seen this happen on any other website.

Also tried rebooting and clearing the cache. And it persists.

Again, seems like just an oddity. But wonder if there's cause for concern or a way to fix it.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetterThanYours View Post

I get the problem you described with Safari on Firefox:

Also tried rebooting and clearing the cache. And it persists.

Again, seems like just an oddity. But wonder if there's cause for concern or a way to fix it.

Afaic there's no cause for concern whatsoever. It's the Safari UI telling you an incorrect password was entered. If YOU didn't enter anything it assumed what was already there, in the box, to be the password. Which it isn't, of course. So Safari shakes its head, ermm... box.

So to me Safari looks like it's functioning exactly as intended (in this instance).
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ...as I said, this is a Javascript affect, any web developer can implement it for whatever reason they like.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I've had the same anomaly in Firefox 3.5.7 and then the pinwheel would sometimes show up and the browser application would get stuck.

Clear you cache and history files. Delete all cookies and consider running a virus scan on your mac like ClamXav.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    sw87sw87 Posts: 1member
    So obviously I have the same problem with the Facebook web page shaking when I access the site on Firefox. Internet security is a priority for me and its particularly disturbing since I haven't encountered other sites that "shake."

I haven't seen any notable answers but if anyone comes up with something please post about it.

I will try to contact facebook and consult some IT friends about my computer and security settings. Hopefully, I can isolate the issue to a particular cause.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I'm not computer savvy at all so this may not be the best answer. However, after reading this thread I decided to delete all my cookies for safari and now when I go to "www.facebook.com" it doesn't shake anymore!

I think it is because when I usually enter my email address into facebook, once I put the first letter of my email address into the field my entire email address comes up. I'm guessing it's some kind of default setting that when I opened the page (even though I couldn't see my email address) it is remembered by facebook but my password isn't. Therefore it does that shaky thing as when it tries to automatically sign me in but can't because it doesnt have my password.

Like I said I'm not sure if thats the best way to stop it but I guess it shows it's not a bug!