New laptop...no space on Time Capsule

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I got a new MacBook Pro and I can not back it up on my Time Capsule (1TB) because there is not enoguh free space for the initial backup.

The Time Capsule has backups on it for my iMac, my wife's MacBook, and my old PowerBook. (The iMac backup is taking up the majority of the space.)

How do I reduce the size of the iMac files to make room for the MacBook backup?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

I got a new MacBook Pro and I can not back it up on my Time Capsule (1TB) because there is not enoguh free space for the initial backup.

The Time Capsule has backups on it for my iMac, my wife's MacBook, and my old PowerBook. (The iMac backup is taking up the majority of the space.)

How do I reduce the size of the iMac files to make room for the MacBook backup?

You don't unless you want to destroy the data integrity. Besides, it's compressed already.

You want TWO new 2TB external HDs. The one as the backup HD for all those Macs, the other to backup the first one.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Unless you don't care about what's on your backup drive right now. If you know you haven't deleted anything that you could possibly need... You could wipe the drive and start all new backups for each computer. This option is more risky but certainly cheaper
  • Reply 3 of 4
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

You don't unless you want to destroy the data integrity. Besides, it's compressed already.

You want TWO new 2TB external HDs. The one as the backup HD for all those Macs, the other to backup the first one.

bingo

great advice

make sure their FW 800 DRIVES

i would buy an extra 500 g a passport in addition to the 2x 1 TB drives

use the pass port to drag and drop all your media movies and sucjh
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

bingo

great advice

make sure their FW 800 DRIVES

i would buy an extra 500 g a passport in addition to the 2x 1 TB drives

use the pass port to drag and drop all your media movies and sucjh

50GB FREE online storage maybe helpful too. If IN ADDITION to your backup drive(s) (NOT replacing them!). All the data you store online is available for you to work with from any internet connected PC or Mac anywhere. So you don't need to schlepp your own MacBook or laptop around, while you can still work with all your own data.