App Store roundup: HD Radio comes to iPhone, 3G VoIP still MIA

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
For an extra $80, iPhone users can add an external receiver that will allow the device to receive HD radio, adding one of the features of the competing Zune HD; and VoIP application developers still await 3G support.

HD Radio: There's an app for that

iBiquity Digital has created the first HD Radio accessory for the iPhone and iPod touch. The Gigaware HD Radio Receiver, as detailed by The Wall Street Journal, costs $80 and is available at Radio Shack.

When paired with a free App Store application and headphones for an antenna, the receiver allows iPhone users to listen to HD Radio broadcasts of local stations.

Reception of the new digital broadcast method was one of Microsoft's main selling points of the new Zune HD, a portable media player that the Redmond, Wash., software giant hopes to position against Apple's industry leading iPod touch.

As Microsoft released the Zune HD in September, Apple updated its iPod touch with a faster processor that runs OpenGL ES 2.0 and began offering a 64GB capacity model. And while the new iPod nano comes with a standard FM tuner, the new iPod touch was discovered to have an FM receiver and transmitter, though it is not currently active.

According to the Journal, iBiquity has been "in talks with Apple" to place an HD Radio Reciever into future models of the iPhone and iPod touch.

Users still await VoIP calls over 3G

Voice over IP calling service Nimbuzz recently had its iPhone application approved for sale on the App Store, but the software does not allow VoIP calls over 3G. According to GigaOm, that's because Apple has not yet allowed the capability.

"Apple actually did not approve the 3G calling ? so they completely broke their promise of allowing VoIP calls on 3G," a Nimbuzz spokesperson reportedly said.

In October, AT&T announced it will allow VoIP calls over its 3G network on the iPhone. The move earned praise from the service Skype, as well as the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. The nation's second-largest wireless carrier did not provide a specific timeframe.

Currently, VoIP services are only capable of operating via Wi-Fi due to an agreement between Apple and AT&T over network data usage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I don't see HD radio being a very big deal ... internet radio systems make it a silly price to pay I would have thought.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    It should be built-in in the next iPhone model.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    HD Radio?

Now there's even less reason to own a Zune.

(was there a reason in the first place?)
  • Reply 4 of 29
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    The VoIP stuff is getting aggravating. I think Apple is worried that if Skype gets approved then the heat comes back for the GoogleVoice App.

In the meantime, 3G Unrestrictor works great on a jail broken phone as does GV Mobile.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Does the HD radio depend on AT&T coverage? or is it a separate satellite signal?

Also- 1st and 2nd gen Touch users loose out?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does the HD radio depend on AT&T coverage? or is it a separate satellite signal?

Also- 1st and 2nd gen Touch users loose out?

HD radio has nothing to do with ATT coverage. It is broadcast right along with normal radio.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

Not HD radio, I don't think. And, I could be wrong, I haven't followed this topic that closely, but I believe the current 3GS model can act as an FM receiver. If, that's correct, and if the rumors of Apple planning to enable that functionality are true, it really would be nice to know when. (Not that I expect we will until and if they actually do it.) HD radio hasn't exactly taken the world, or country, by storm, and I don't think it would be worth $80 is we were going to get FM radio shortly.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

Not HD radio, I don't think. And, I could be wrong, I haven't followed this topic that closely, but I believe the current 3GS model can act as an FM receiver. If, that's correct, and if the rumors of Apple planning to enable that functionality are true, it really would be nice to know when. (Not that I expect we will until and if they actually do it.) HD radio hasn't exactly taken the world, or country, by storm, and I don't think it would be worth $80 is we were going to get FM radio shortly.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Apple keeps on lying....

Apple:

"We did not reject Google Voice" LIE

"We will allow VoIP over 3G apps" LIE

AT&T:

"We now allow VoIP apps on our network - it's up to Apple"

"We weren't even consulted about Google Voice for iPhone"

Third Party Developers:

"Apple rejected Google Voice in person"

"Apple rejected my VoIP App beacuse it does VoIP over 3G"

Most carriers carrying the iPhone already allow VoIP over 3G - there was never a contractual obligation stopping these Apps going to other App Stores other than the US one.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    If someone doesn't mind, could they briefly explain what VoiP is used for over 3G? I am honestly, just not clear on it's use.

Is it for saving on your cell plan's international calls? (I don't have an iPhone or any kind of ATT service)

To me, it seems analogous to placing a paid-for cell phone call, and then placing a VoiP call over that paid call's connection.

I'm sure I'm missing something here; probably to do with ATT service plan.

Thanks.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    HD Radio is great, but it should be built-in. I thought the iPhone 3GS also had an FM Radio?! Apple really should enable it! You can get many HD Radio stations streamed live via apps like AOL Radio, by the way... Actual HD Radio coverage is pretty spotty -- I hate having to listen to an HD2 station that fades in and out -- especially one I really like! They REALLY need to boost the HD Radio signals!

Yea, WHERE are those VoIP apps over 3G WITHOUT Jailbreak?! I heard Cisco is working on a VoIP iPhone app... AT&T is a dinosaur, they probably said ok just to relieve some heat, but it will take months for them to truly lift the embargo... Apple needs to start making iPhone/iPod Touch like a Mac -- no locking and no jail -- just an open device! Think different.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    The HD Radio app does nothing without HW and just quits. They should have enabled streaming to the various HD Radio internet streams out there for those without the hardware...
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

HD Radio?

Now there's even less reason to own a Zune.

(was there a reason in the first place?)

One word: Subscription. The Zune Pass is an amazing deal. $15 a month, keep up to 10 songs DRM-free, and use the built-in software along with the desktop stuff to help automatically discover new music based on what you already have. Its pretty sweet.

The VoIP thing still frustrates me. It demonstrates yet again that Apple clearly isn't capable of keeping up with the app store submissions. They need to outsource this task to a third party, or better organize their team. Denying applications because they use VoIP over 3G, despite AT&T saying that they're allowing it, or denying iPhone help guides because they contain the word "iPhone" in it. Its just insane.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

If someone doesn't mind, could they briefly explain what VoiP is used for over 3G? I am honestly, just not clear on it's use.

It's primarily for free/cheap international calls. Skype to Skype calls are free, Skype to landline calls are 2 cents per minute. AT&T charges $1.30+ per minute for international calls.

Quote:

To me, it seems analogous to placing a paid-for cell phone call, and then placing a VoiP call over that paid call's connection.

That is completely wrong. Skype over 3G would use your unlimited data plan -- minutes do not get used.

Speaking of Skype, have they said anything about this? Has Nimbuzz complained to Apple? Sounds like it could be a clueless App Store "rejector" employee whou didn't hear that the policy has changed.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Is it for saving on your cell plan's international calls? (I don't have an iPhone or any kind of ATT service)

I'm sure I'm missing something here; probably to do with ATT service plan.

Thanks.

I can place calls without using minutes or at a much reduced rate internationally via Skype or other such services. It uses data only. For me this is a big deal because I operate one business line with Skype In/Out and would like that number to show up when I make calls. I also talk to Japan a lot and that is Skype to Skype so I could be out in the mall talking to my counterparts in Japan for free and not have to worry about finding Wi-Fi.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    how big is the zune's external receiver device, compared to the iPhone's? \
  • Reply 17 of 29
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post

Speaking of Skype, have they said anything about this? Has Nimbuzz complained to Apple? Sounds like it could be a clueless App Store "rejector" employee whou didn't hear that the policy has changed.

Well, AT&T said they will allow it, I have not heard anything from Apple indicating a date for that. And it might be a lot more complex than it seems, as several official iPhone carriers internationally do not allow VoIP over EDGE and 3G. And Apple has contracts with those too.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    HD radio as an accessory add-on for the iPhone is great.

BUT what about a frigging WIRED EXTERNAL KEYBOARD?!!

I had many cool folding keyboards (wired and Bluetooth) to choose from for my old PalmTreo and Blackberry which meant that I could do serious writing without lugging around a laptoop.

Is anybody listening?
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

HD radio as an accessory add-on for the iPhone is great.

I had many cool folding keyboards (wired and Bluetooth) to choose from for my old PalmTreo and Blackberry which meant that I could do serious writing without lugging around a laptoop.

Is anybody listening?

Would be nice.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

Why do you want to be wired?