User account gone wacky: IO problem?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi guys. Help someone can help me out with this as I have never seen anything like this before.

My friend's iMac (Intel 2.0 running 10.5.6) has a couple of user accounts on it. One behaves fine. The other has a serious IO problem.

Using either a mouse or Wacom tablet, you can select windows, fill spaces (eg, Google Search bar at top right in Safari) and the window activates, then turns white after a brief moment, preventing any useful activity. It takes a minute just to be able to enter a password.

Clicking on mail messages will briefly highlight the message title, then the screen snap to unresponsive.

Switch users and no problem. Just the one account. Just happens to be an important one and right now is all but unusable.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Was just reading on Apple's discussion boards and found a possible solution: delete the account and save the data. Then recreate the account and import the data.

Having never done this before: what about the Mail and iTMS accounts?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Very odd thing: Just now I decided to look more closely at a few items and chose to switch the language preference from Japanese to English, logout and back in. The problem has not re-occurred in a few minutes of use.

Could the language file be corrupted?