Verizon's advertising propels brand perception while AT&T sinks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I have just always found it infuriating here in the States that our wireless industry is so backwater when compared to the rest of the world. I envy your situation. It's never been an issue of cost for me (within reason, of course), because Verizon and AT&T are priced just about even, but it's sad that Verizon has the best networks in arguable the most powerful country in the world, yet is still one of the worst networks when compared to the rest of the globe. Who knows, maybe I'll just move to Canada to get my perfect iPhone experience.

Dude, dealing with tier 1 customer support at Sprint is like relying on a person in a coma to save you from drowning. They almost always fail at answering my questions, and if you ask for tier two from the get-go they treat you like complete shit and may even write a note on your account about how rude you are. They DO NOT have a network good enough to have to deal with this crap.

I really wonder sometimes what kind of transfer rates my phone is capable of on other networks.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm with Rogers up here in Canada and there's never a problem. And if I whine a bit now and then I get a reduction on my bill or a credit that moves certain charges into later months. Rogers isn't the cheapest, but the service has always been problem free - wireless, internet, you name it.

Same here. Great speed. Have an issue and they are a call away.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Same here. Great speed. Have an issue and they are a call away.

I bet they don't blatantly lie to you either.

Sometimes I call reps out on lies here with Sprint. It's amazing.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Dude, dealing with tier 1 customer support at Sprint is like relying on a person in a coma to save you from drowning. They almost always fail at answering my questions, and if you ask for tier two from the get-go they treat you like complete shit and may even write a note on your account about how rude you are. They DO NOT have a network good enough to have to deal with this crap.

I really wonder sometimes what kind of transfer rates my phone is capable of on other networks.

Having been on Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T (cingular), I have to say Sprint was always my least favorite. You are right, my 2-year old niece could give more helpful information than the people they have.

AT&T had been my favorite up until 6-7 months ago, when their network actually got tested and failed. I never had any issues with them until the iPhone and other data-heavy phones became uber-popular. Verizon's always been good (not great), but had locked down their phones to the point that you couldn't do anything but make a call, lest you be hit with additional charges. However, if the iPhone shows up on their network in identical fashion to the one on AT&T, I will switch that instant. That says nothing of how good Verizon is, just how bad AT&T has become in a very short time. Lesser of two evils, or something like that.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:

I have just always found it infuriating here in the States that our wireless industry is so backwater when compared to the rest of the world. I envy your situation. It's never been an issue of cost for me (within reason, of course), because Verizon and AT&T are priced just about even, but it's sad that Verizon has the best networks in arguable the most powerful country in the world, yet is still one of the worst networks when compared to the rest of the globe. Who knows, maybe I'll just move to Canada to get my perfect iPhone experience.

Having traveling around the world, I can't quite agree with you.

Most countries are geographically smaller than the US and topographically they are more manageable.

The smaller European countries were basically nationally subsidized via tax payers dollars to build or support there initial infrastructure. And if anybody from the US and particularly from Canada can tell you, their landline services overseas was in the crapper.

We should also bear in mind that because individual federal communication laws, the US/Canadian cell phone industry was hampered by what, when and how they could institute wireless technology. Thus the difference in systems and the lack of a national standard that is evidenced in the rest of the world.

In Canada, and when you really compare apples with apples in the US and the rest of the world, wireless prices between carrier to carrier are not significantly different.

Just got back from Beijing which in the centre of the city, and it is a very large centre, may have cell towers 40 to 70 floors in the air, you'll find the antennas no higher than street lights on every other corner.

Prices were much like home. From $20 to $100 and up to $200/month. Only iPhones users seen were all visitors. Lots of fakes for sale (but the locals know they don't work-just like the fake TB USB keys the tourists were buying). Apple store is typically big US, but in a terrible location, i.e., one of the least visited shopping plazas I have ever been in. Right next to the Cotton Market, yet there wasn't 30 people there and 20 of them were in the Apple store. Should have put the Apple store on the Wangfuging walking street. Now there is a crowd to draw from.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

I just hope that AT&T have learned from Apple during the few years that they have been partners. If so, they're certainly not going to go nuts over some perceived values.

I agree. Basing long-term product decisions based on a day-to-day survey tracking changes in consumer sentiment is like making long term financial decisions based on daily stock price changes.

No sensible company would do that. ATT and Apple are sensible companies. They -- esp. ATT -- should keep their eyes on the ball, and focus on making their network better.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

I don't mean to boast, really. Perhpas it's because Rogers doesn't have to carry a subscriber load like the US. But everywhere I go I see iPhones, and there isn't a whole lot of complaining aside from pricing, which is common everywhere. And for what I get with my iPhone - the works, really, it's not that bad.

I'm just impressed I can get a full 3G signal in the middle of the Canadian woods in Northern Ontario. To be fair, I mean Huntsville and thereabouts, not really Temagami, though I have no experience with cell reception in places as deep and as North as Temagami. And I have to say, the customer service at Rogers has been extremely good lately. Polite as hell. One of the CSRs I spoke to last week practically fellated me over the phone. She was positively ecstatic that I'm a customer.

I'm just impressed that once in a while they give me a break on my bill. Don't know why that is, but they know full well that Bell is back in the game and so is Telus, with a lot of competition slated to hit Canada over the next 6 months. I think Rogers customers might be in for some breaks here and there in the near future, who knows.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

While I am extremely happy with AT&T's service and have been for several years, and I travel very regularly with my iPhone 3G between Seattle, Spokane, San Francisco, Las Vegas and Phoenix, it is AT&T's own fault for allowing themselves to be in this vulnerable situation of being attacked with an aggressive ad campaign. They knew that their "3G" coverage was not near as good as VZ's. They should have been on the attack with a campaign to offset their weaknesses. Their weakness was lack of coverage, not speed of the system. Their ad campaigns are about "The fastest 3G system in the land". Increasing speed is not going to offset the perception that you can't get coverage most of the US,

What good is speed if you can't lock up a 3G signal inside a building?
  • Reply 49 of 55
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I hope Verizon gets the iPhone 3rd quarter 2010 as is rumored.

don't believe those rumors if they lack explaining exactly what anyone is doing to address the whole "the iphone is GSM and Verizon is CDMA" part of the equation. in detail.

cause without that stuff, the rumors are just someone's tech wet dream being treated like fact
  • Reply 50 of 55
    I am in NYC Area...

The other day, as I was in my apartment, I heard my Verizon Palm Treo 700p play that "No Service" Sound... Then Signal Returned! I was not even on a call... I've never tried iPhone in my apartment. This "No Service" thing in my apartment doesn't happen often at all, but it does happen, and it happens almost consistently on NY and CT state lines on some really major roads! Got Map/App for that, VZ!?

In a bank near me, the teller told me he loves his iPhone, but the signal inside the bank is weak. My VZ signal inside the bank is OK.

I stopped at VZ Store and was very not impressed with the Droid. The keyboard was were week, lots of typos, compared to iPhone! The UI etc. were unimpressive! Other customers near me didn't like the keyboard too, saying - "this is not as good as iPhone", or "everybody want to be an iPhone". I felt like I stepped into ATT commercial! The web page didn't look as good as iPhone! I like iPhone's Gestures better than Tap-Zooming!

When I mentioned that VZ is CDMA, and thus no Voice and Internet at the same time on any of their phones, those people around me were surprised! I guess not many people know about that limitation, and ATT is stupid not to point that limitation out in their ads about VZ!

ATT also has Roll-Over minutes to brag about, and they should in their ads! Hey, if I paid for my minutes, why am I being told when to use them? It's like buying a soda or something else -- I'll drink it when I am thirsty! Why are you taking my bottle away!? I probably could come up with a better analogy, but you get the point!

The VZ staff was unimpressive too in terms of a vibe, and not very bright. It's nowhere near smart and happy people as in Apple Stores, who seem to beam with pride! Some Droids were showing low batteries, and VZ staff didn't seem to care! They looked like people who don't like their boss!

Today I drove North of NYC, across the mountain, pretty rural -- I got "No Service" on Verizon for a mile or so... If I had a flat tire there, I'd be stuck! Got Map for that??! Wouldn't be fun in the winter!!!

VZ had lots of dropped calls on Long Island Expressway around exists 60-70! Same on North Shore of LI!

Even if iPhone comes as Dual GSM&CDMA, Voice and Internet at the same time is a specific feature that I am not willing to compromise on, so no VZ-CDMA for me! According to some posts here, Voice and Internet at the same time might be supported on CDMA/VZ in the future, but is that future coming sooner than ATT's Improvement in 3G Coverage and Speed? Even if those 2 futures were to come at the same time, VZ's $350 Cancellation Fee sounds like a trap to me! And I think Roll-Over Minutes provides a better value = my minutes - so I use them when I need them, instead of VZ trying to trip me into Overtime! It's like the old days, when I had to look over my shoulder, call in to see how many minutes I've used to avoid the Overtime Gotcha! Thus, I don't see much incentive to wait for VZ iPhone, unless it's for sure does Voice and Internet at the same time + Roll-Over Minutes, so it's even playing field with ATT!!! At this point, I have more faith in ATT improving their 3G Coverage, particularly with all those VZ Ads "inspiring" them... If all carriers drop $$$ that's even better!

Luckily, I am in NYC Area, so I assume that ATT and VZ are pretty close in their Coverage. Rural areas around NYC are a toss up, hit or miss! Depends on location, no matter what VZ ads claim!

So, I am just waiting for the next MacBook Pro, and then the best way to migrate my Treo Memos to iPhone!

And, like I said here before -- God help those Droid users when they need SUPPORT! I'll never again go back to the Old Treo days when their Support, in Philippines, sent me to VZ, and VZ sent me to Palm Support! That's what it'll be like for Droid users, except Google doesn't do Phone Support, never mind in Person at the Stores, unless they copy MSFT copying Apple Retail Stores! Nobody does support better than Apple! With the 4th Store coming to NYC, it'll be even better, plus Apple's 800# Phone Support!

I am not biased against ATT or VZ. I get along with people anywhere. I can get the most unfriendly Techs to help me, and same with Customer Service. I just want the best Performance @ the Lowest Price! No Voice and Internet at the same time sounds like Old Dial Up Days, and I will not settle for that! And, Google Maps for Droid "caching" so I can be on the phone... -- not good enough for me! I'd rather print the Directions from Google Map on my Mac for those rare occasions when I need to go somewhere where I don't know the area too well...

Too bad I'll be saying Good Bye to some nice folks at VZ whom I befriended continuously for the last 15 years! They've been nice to me! When some VZ folks try to put down iPhone, cause they don't sell it, that's when I realize that they are not really true friends, but just friendly Salesmen! I told them exactly this, and they've been understanding and respectful, particularly when No Voice and Internet at the same time limitation came up! They all agreed, while lowering their voice, so that customers don't hear..., that iPhone is a great phone! At the same time, VZ's Network Mantra sounded a bit too tired to me!!! But, their ads seem to have convinced a lot of people that it is true, and thus VZ is some kind of Great Savior on a White Horse!!! To me that sound like a PR Horse Sh*t! Maybe ATT learns how to answer those commercials!!!

Thus far I've observed the following:

The most sophisticated users go for iPhone, thus ATT! The businessman, and or less sophisticated ones, who mostly need email and SMS, and not a lot of integration with their computers, particularly like multi-media - those folks go for BlackBerries!

The more poor folks, or those who travel outside US, and their kids with Sidekicks, go with T-Mobile, and the poorest folks, particularly the "New Americans" -- go with Sprint, cause it's the cheapest!

In short, the more sophisticated, educated the user, the more likely he/she is to end up with iPhone. Eventually, based on my conversations with the BlackBerry users, and other observations, I predict that will want more, and will graduate to iPhones! Hope this doesn't make me sound snobbish or elitist - that's just what I've seen around me in NYC, including people I know!

The more I played with Android OS phones, the more I appreciated iPhone! Can't wait to get one, and join all my friends who love it!

Can't wait for LTE when the carriers will have to compete on a more level playing field, and the phones are no longer exclusive!!!!
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

don't believe those rumors if they lack explaining exactly what anyone is doing to address the whole "the iphone is GSM and Verizon is CDMA" part of the equation. in detail.

cause without that stuff, the rumors are just someone's tech wet dream being treated like fact

It probably hasn't been more than a week since a rumor surfaced about Apple (NSDQ:AAPL)'s iPhone making the jump to Verizon (NYSE:VZ) Wireless from AT&T (NYSE:T), but the newest buzz claims a Qualcomm chip will help the smartphone bridge the gap between CDMA and UMTS 3G networks.

The latest churn of the rumor mill claims that Apple is developing a "worldmode" iPhone that will add compatibility with CDMA networks, such as Verizon Wireless's in the U.S., to the existing UMTS 3G capabilities of the iPhone.

According to AppleInsider, a new report from OTR Global claims that a worldmode Apple iPhone will be compatible with CDMA2000 and UMTS 3G networks due to a hybrid chip that is being built by Qualcomm. The worldmode iPhone could land on Verizon -- and any other network in the world -- by the third quarter of 2010.

The emergence of the Qualcomm hybrid chip would allow Verizon to bring the iPhone onto its current CDMA network. Previously it seemed Verizon would have to wait until its planned switch to an LTE network in 2011. LTE technology, or Long Term Evolution, is the successor to UMTS.

A worldmode iPhone would likely spell the end of AT&T's exclusive deal with Apple, something many current users and potential adopters would like to see happen. Since the roll out of the iPhone in 2007 on AT&T, users have been frustrated by the lack of service in major markets, such as New York City and San Francisco.

AT&T has also been slow to support smartphone features, earlier this year badly botching the roll out of the iPhone 3G S by not offering MMS or tethering. The S in iPhone 3G S, of course, stands for speed. Another issues AT&T is having with support for the smartphone, as the wireless carrier is unable to support the faster 7.2 Mbps data potential.

Those likely to benefit from a worldmode iPhone are consumers. The competition Verizon would pose to AT&T for iPhone supremacy may force the exclusive carrier of the smartphone to beef up its network and drop prices for service plans.

Verizon might also snap AT&T out of what appears to be complacency, perhaps instilling a sense of urgency. As it stands now, AT&T is so confident that consumers will continue to adopt the iPhone that, as the launch of the 3G S demonstrated, it doesn't feel the need to support all the features of the smartphone.

But with Verizon reportedly getting closer and closer to getting its paws on the Apple iPhone, AT&T might start to step up its service and support.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by creamteam99 View Post

It probably hasn't been more than a week since a rumor surfaced about Apple (NSDQ:AAPL)'s iPhone making the jump to Verizon (NYSE:VZ) Wireless from AT&T (NYSE:T), but the newest buzz claims a Qualcomm chip will help the smartphone bridge the gap between CDMA and UMTS 3G networks.

The latest churn of the rumor mill claims that Apple is developing a "worldmode" iPhone that will add compatibility with CDMA networks, such as Verizon Wireless's in the U.S., to the existing UMTS 3G capabilities of the iPhone.

Setting all the Conspiracy Theories aside, to me the KEY is - Yes or No on Voice and Internet at the same time? Then I'll worry about the Roll-over Minutes that ATT has and VZ doesn't

Nobody yet made it CLEAR about Yes or No on Voice and Internet at the same time?

It seems to me that the carriers and phone makers, Apple among them, made a "Gentelmen Agreement" not to bee too specific, and thus deliberately keep the customers in the dark... Most people don't even know about Yes or No on Voice and Internet at the same time?, and they think that VZ is a Messiah!

If the TRUTH got out, it would effect the Stocks Prices!!! So, they politely agreed not to kick each other's private parts....

Also, chances are that some Rumors get planted, probably even on Forums like this!!!! Sickening, if true... But, there is no way to defend against that, right?!

If someone has a DEFINITIVE LINK about Yes or No on Voice and Internet at the same time?, please share it here!!!

I can't wait forever for my iPhone!
  • Reply 53 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Setting all the Conspiracy Theories aside, to me the KEY is - Yes or No on Voice and Internet at the same time? Then I'll worry about the Roll-over Minutes that ATT has and VZ doesn't

Nobody yet made it CLEAR about Yes or No on Voice and Internet at the same time?

It seems to me that the carriers and phone makers, Apple among them, made a "Gentelmen Agreement" not to bee too specific, and thus deliberately keep the customers in the dark... Most people don't even know about Yes or No on Voice and Internet at the same time?, and they think that VZ is a Messiah!

If the TRUTH got out, it would effect the Stocks Prices!!! So, they politely agreed not to kick each other's private parts....

Also, chances are that some Rumors get planted, probably even on Forums like this!!!! Sickening, if true... But, there is no way to defend against that, right?!

If someone has a DEFINITIVE LINK about Yes or No on Voice and Internet at the same time?, please share it here!!!

I can't wait forever for my iPhone!

You keep repeating, "Yes or No on Voice and Internet at the same time?. Is that supposed to make sense?
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wow- that was fast. The cellphone market is extremely fickle.

Verizon was extremely smart to buy all that baseball playoffs and World Series coverage.

Then factor in game one was the largest viewed since the Red Soc in 04 and you have yourself a pretty large audience.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wow- that was fast. The cellphone market is extremely fickle.

Verizon was extremely smart to buy all that baseball playoffs and World Series coverage.

Actually, as a marketing executive and full time analyst, it was a really really stupid move for a lot of reasons. I'm also certain, given the response to those ads, that Verizon's ad team now feels the same way, even if they didn't realize 3 weeks ago....

1. The commercials were terrible. They made absolutely no sense. They created no hype, beyond tech/gadget sites (aka People who own an iPhone would have to be impressed to switch). A new iPhone model makes CNN headlines. Not that CNN is anything but absolute trash/lies, its a source of "legitimacy" for a lot of (dumb) people.

2. The Phone was not featured. If the product itself has advantages that set it apart from the iPhone, SHOW THEM CLEARLY. This was not done, and as a result, millions of potential buyers ignored or misunderstood the commercials.

From my uber professional stand point, I can safely already say, " FAIL."