NVIDIA's CEO practically kisses both of Steve's butt cheeks in his love of Macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Man, could he kiss Steve's ass anymore than this?

Quote:

Apple uses the best technology for their [computers]. Apple says to their customers: if you buy a computer from us you can be sure we have selected the best technology inside for you. That is their promise to consumers. Their promise to consumers isn?t we?ve selected the best technology for you with the exception of what Intel allows us to use. That?s not their promise. And that?s why Apple uses the best technology where they want whenever they want. And that?s why I?m all Apple! At home it?s just Macs everywhere. It?s NVIDIA?s technology in all of them but I use Macs. My son has two Macs, my daughter has a Mac, there?s an extra Mac just in case and my wife has a Mac. It?s just Mac, Mac, Mac! Because I know it?s got the best stuff inside.

http://www.shufflegazine.com/2009/11...-im-all-apple/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    I wonder what he had before Apple used so many NVidia products. Apple's promise to consumers about using the best technology surely couldn't have been true when the majority of their products had Intel's GMA chips in them.

It's good to see that the CEO admires Apple because it means they will try to make sure the Mac support is good unlike companies like Adobe. They must be desperate for a strong company to hold them up while Intel and AMD try to drive them into the ground permanently though.

They have good products and I hope to see Apple maintain a relationship with them. Now that Atom support may be off the cards, they could possibly even go to a Tegra variant for a tablet and the Apple TV. Ultra-low power, possibly with custom ARM chips. It won't run desktop apps but it could mean very long battery life in the tablet and very environmentally friendly for an always-on ATV.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wonder what he had before Apple used so many NVidia products. Apple's promise to consumers about using the best technology surely couldn't have been true when the majority of their products had Intel's GMA chips in them.

It's good to see that the CEO admires Apple because it means they will try to make sure the Mac support is good unlike companies like Adobe. They must be desperate for a strong company to hold them up while Intel and AMD try to drive them into the ground permanently though.

They have good products and I hope to see Apple maintain a relationship with them. Now that Atom support may be off the cards, they could possibly even go to a Tegra variant for a tablet and the Apple TV. Ultra-low power, possibly with custom ARM chips. It won't run desktop apps but it could mean very long battery life in the tablet and very environmentally friendly for an always-on ATV.

I wonder if he has an iMac with an ATI GPU in it?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    This is what he really said before PR got a hold of it and 'cleaned it up':

"Steve, we're really sorry our 8600 gpus sucked and basically ruined the user experience of your MBPs by self destructing. We pledge to not let that happen again and we'll be a tad more forthright if it ever does again. I know we kinda left Apple hanging out to dry by not immediately taking ownership of the problem we created.

Right now we need you more than you need us. ATI is kicking our ass on the high end and Intel are squeezing us on chipsets and integrated graphics. So long story short: Take us back, we'll do whatever it takes."
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:

Now that Atom support may be off the cards, they could possibly even go to a Tegra variant for a tablet and the Apple TV. Ultra-low power, possibly with custom ARM chips. It won't run desktop apps but it could mean very long battery life in the tablet and very environmentally friendly for an always-on ATV.

Closer to production than I expected:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/10/n...gra-prototype/

They say Apple has no involvement but I wonder if that's what Apple is planning to use.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Right now we need you more than you need us. ATI is kicking our ass on the high end and Intel are squeezing us on chipsets and integrated graphics. So long story short: Take us back, we'll do whatever it takes.

ATI is doing well on the high end but Intel is still way off having integrated chips to rival NVidia. Integrated graphics are very important to future Apple products and NVidia has the best products for that.

I don't think it would be good for Apple to rely on ATI because if NVidia goes down then AMD/ATI could just make ATI GPUs work better with their own CPUs over Intel's.

Now that Tegra is in the Zune, I bet NVidia would love to see Tegra 2 in 2010 make it into the iphone 4G. It's noted as double the performance and starts the road to the iphone being a laptop replacement for some.

I guess we'll see after the next Mac laptop revision how the Apple/NVidia relationship is doing.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

...ATI is doing well on the high end but Intel is still way off having integrated chips to rival NVidia. Integrated graphics are very important to future Apple products and NVidia has the best products for that....

And since NVIDIA can't make chipsets for the Nehalem cpus we won't be seeing NVIDIA IG in Apple machines going forward.

You don't think its an ominous sign that the only NVIDIA products used in the last update were the 9400m? Sure looks like Apple are moving away from NVIDIA to me.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Since Macs must, by necessity, return to Intel chipsets soon (the top-end iMac already has), Apple will soon be using discrete GPUs in everything except probably the Mac mini and possibly the Macbook. When Apple does that, they can go either way, to ATI or to Nvidia, and ATI frankly has more compelling mobile GPUs at the moment.

So yeah, he's kissing ass.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Since Macs must, by necessity, return to Intel chipsets soon (the top-end iMac already has), Apple will soon be using discrete GPUs in everything except probably the Mac mini and possibly the Macbook. When Apple does that, they can go either way, to ATI or to Nvidia, and ATI frankly has more compelling mobile GPUs at the moment.

So yeah, he's kissing ass.

but will apple go back to carp intel gma video in the mini and mac book?

That is slower then the 9400m?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

but will apple go back to carp intel gma video in the mini and mac book?

That is slower then the 9400m?

Probably. Probably.